Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

SO3, SO2, T1-S... Doh!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2001, 09:55 PM
JamieR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Just coming up to 8k on my MY2000 and the Potenzas are starting to look a little tired. I searched this section and looked at
Old 19 March 2001, 08:05 AM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Jamie,

SO3s supposed to be out May(ish). However, there's no guarantee that supplies will be easily obtainable then & I'd strongly advise you to invest in the SO2s if you've the funds (or Toyos if cash is a consideration) rather than wait. Just ensure that you're not in any danger of running any of your tyres illegally.

I'll post an 'available' message as soon as SO3 stocks are available in Scooby sizes.

Hugh

Old 19 March 2001, 02:30 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

had a set of T1s's on my golf, they were great.

So bought them for my MY96 wrx, they were ****.

Unfortunately the 22B came with a new set of T1-s' again so I am using them unitl they run out, and going to buy bridgestones. Sod this progresisve crap, I think the out right grip if the toyos is no where near the same league.

Obviously my opinion, but I am looking forward with eager anticipation to the bridgestones, s02s or so3s
Old 19 March 2001, 03:35 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Good call Adam, it's not as if _you_ need the progressive crap anyway...
Old 20 March 2001, 12:26 AM
JamieR
Scooby Regular

Question

Hmmm, just when I had decided that there didn't seem to be much between the T1-S and the SO2s, although the SO2s appear to have slightly better grip in the wet.

Are the SO2s really worth the extra cash? Is this progressive stuff a lot of pooh?

J
Old 20 March 2001, 02:27 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Depends how you drive? If you like to test the limit in your car (e.g. on track days), then progressive tyres would be more predictable and I imagine safer, albeit they will have lower outright grip. If you always leave a safety margin when you drive, and just want the limit of grip to be as high as possible, then go for S02s.
Old 21 March 2001, 10:13 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

matt d

I wouldn't use either on track. I have used SO2's on track and they are frankly complete ****. Overheated in 2 laps, then didn't grip and wore down very quickly.

Great on the road though where I certainly don't drive near the limits.
Old 22 March 2001, 12:52 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry guys I’ve gotta disagree with the S02's not being progressive or controllable as you are saying.

There a great road tyre. I’m on my second set, after completing an amazing 10500miles on the first. There very predictable, as I find out everynite on my 20mile A/B road blast home. I’m always on the limit, otherwise I get bored.

They do not snap away when you loose traction, even in the dry, and are very progressive as you call it!!

And when you do loose traction the tyre is very controllable, the car simple drifts until you correct, then comes back online gently, unless you overcorrect and too quickly. Then you get a jolt!

On track they do heat up, but I did a couple 15lap stints at Dono in Feb and they held out brilliantly. Admittedly the car does understeer more after a few laps, but its still predictable, and the tyre wore evenly too.

Personally I would never put a cheaper tyre on the car, the tyre is your only connection with the road, and if you have a tyre like the Toyo that doesn’t have the outright grip of the S02, you could get yourself into trouble, as accidents do happen and thats the time you need the extra grip or security!!

Can’t wait for the S03

M

PS Whoa just read this again. It sounds like I work for Bridgestone, hehehe. I don’t you know
Old 22 March 2001, 08:45 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gary Foster:
<B>matt d

I wouldn't use either on track. I have used SO2's on track and they are frankly complete ****. Overheated in 2 laps, then didn't grip and wore down very quickly.

[/quote]

what were you doing on track? 100mph handbrake turns I have been on track with SO2s in a scoob for 18+ laps, and in a cerbera with SO2s for 20+ laps (driven my Wille Green, so driven HARD ) with no problems?
Old 23 March 2001, 07:45 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Hi,

My S02's worked well on the track at Donny in Feb Saturday and Sunday.
From the saturday I did find that 36/34 psi hot was abosolute cr*p on the track. the best pressure was to set at 40 psi cold and do 10 laps then set pressure to 46psi and 44 rear.

This is only a personal opinion from a from unexperienced trackday driver, and will be prepared to be rubbished by the experts.

Tony

[This message has been edited by T5NYW (edited 23 March 2001).]