Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake pad prices?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2001, 08:19 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

What should I be paying for Ferodo DS2000 Fronts and Rears?

Should I consider DS4003's with std discs?

F
Old 18 January 2001, 07:55 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry Huxley, I'm only interested n the Ferodo pads.

Ta
F
Old 18 January 2001, 08:24 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ferrodo DS2000 for the MY99 Impreza are only sold by dealers/Prodrive. £140 for fronts, £75 for rears (both plus VAT).

HOWEVER.....if you can find DS2000 pads for a Nissan 300ZX they are identical to the MY99 (4-pot) front pads and only cost £35-50 But very difficult to find

Out of interest, why 'only Ferrodo'? There are other very good 'fast road' pads out there, the Mintex 1144 is good, but IMO the best Fast Road pad is the EBC Green Stuff. Same sort of performance as the 1144 and DS2000, but cheaper (c£35-40, Mintex c£50, Ferrodo as above) and made of Kevlar so 'Dust Free' - hence substantially easier to clean wheels
Old 18 January 2001, 08:51 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Floyd,

Can't comment on whether or not DS4003 would be ok with standard (presumably part worn ?) disks, but with brand new disks from TSL in Nottingham DS4003's are fantastic. Loads of power and especially FEEL. Very worthwhile upgrade from my previous setup which was Alcon GrpN disks and Mintex 1155 pads.

Chris.
Old 18 January 2001, 12:16 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Floyd i have a set of mintex pads for sale i your intrested see for sale section

Huxley
Old 18 January 2001, 01:11 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks guys for the replies.

I can get the Ferrodo for £147 inc vat from my local supplier who also knows about the Nissan thing but didn't have any in stock.

As for why only Ferrodo, well I have searched all the posts and come to the conclusion that with std discs that this will be the best compromise for road and track. All other pads have had complaints in some way or other plus I remember a magazine review in which the Ferrodo came top.

I am not prepared to go the whole hog with 'big brakes'at this time as I don't tend to keep my cars very long.

The DS 4003's are an option but the DS2000's seem to be a favorite. My discs are 3.5K miles old (as is the car). MY00.

I can't get rears at this time due to a 3 week delay although my supplier usually has them in stock (DS2000).

F
Old 18 January 2001, 07:22 PM
mal
Scooby Regular

Brown Brothers-(motor factors) got me front pads for my STI V5/Nissan thingy for about £60.They are MINTEX C-TECH RACING PADS no MDB1416 M115,pretty good but make sure you clean the dust off at least once aweek if poss.I got mine from up here in the NE of england,but they were sourced from another branch down south somewhere.

MAL.
Old 18 January 2001, 09:11 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Floyd, I share your enthusiasm for Ferodo DS2000 pads, but according to AP Racing test data, the 4003F is not recommended for road use. It's a high friction pad for "light competition" and has relatively poor cold "bite". They're nothing like DS2000s.

If you want to try DS2000s for yourself, I've got an old set with about 2.5mm of pad left, to fit standard 4-pot calipers. I'm not a million miles away in Peterborough. Mail me off-line if you want them - free to a good home! (Or anyone else for that matter.)

A word of warning: you seem to be going down exactly the same route I did by upgrading the pads for enhanced road performance and track day capability. The pads are great (just ordered some more for me APs )) but on track they'll **** the standard discs in minutes. They cracked mine. They also warped a set of Bremsport Group N discs.

I think I must be fairly hard on the brakes on track, hence the APs, but even your gran would wreck the standard rotors with those pads. Really must upgrade the discs, too. I'd go for the ProDrive set (£500 discs and DS2000 pads?).

Hoppy
Old 18 January 2001, 10:01 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hoppy

Thanks for the offer, RU going to Oulton? If so then I'll take them off you there.

I can't gauge whether your harder on the brakes than me but you probably are because my car is slow and I won't be braking from the same speeds. See least power UK car thread!

As for the discs, I may as well change them to AP's or prodrive when they get shagged. No one else has complained (that I have seen), but if this is the case then any 'track' pads will kill std discs (if you're serious) and normal pads aren't worth having for track days.

So the moral of the story is:

For fast road use then normal 4 pots are OK, but partnered with cheap upgraded pads(EBC, diamond etc) are better.

For track days then AP's discs are essential partnered with premium pads (ferrodo, pagid etc).

For ultimate brakes then AP's with Brembo/AP calipers and any premium pad.

Uprated brake lines/Dot 5.1 for the perfectionist/show off.

Is that clear then every body?

F

Old 19 January 2001, 01:49 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Floyd, probably not doing Oulton Park .

We seem to agree on most things, but I would not fit upgraded pads to standard discs.

I'm not the only one to have had problems. Now that the search facility is back, type in cracked discs, from last summer. There's loads of stuff.

Cheers,

Hoppy