Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Hard, low grip, cheap tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2000, 03:21 PM
AndyG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a 16 inch tyre which is of a hard (and therefore long lasting), relatively low grip (but progressive breakaway) compound? If they happen to be cheap so much the better.

Andy
Old 20 September 2000, 04:20 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Continental ContiSport Contatcs.

They are rock solid tyres (used 2 sets, very impressed). A set lasted 2 track days and 13k miles.
I have Bridgestones on mine at the moment, but they are SOOO weak, they are ruined in the space of a couple of weeks. Not impressed at all, I think I will be going for Conti's again. (I think they retail in at around £200 a corner, so not cheap

Cem
Old 20 September 2000, 08:52 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Blowdog.........how do you find the edges wearing on the continentals? I've had SO1's very bad, SO2's not quite so prone but still chuncks tear out of the edges and tread simply peals off, P Zero's wear much better as it appears the outside 2" part of the tread is of much harder compound, but you end up with a stepped tread across the tyre which makes the car wander quite badly. I am not that fussed about wet whether grip, I like to slide (sideways anyway). Comments appreciated.

AndyG

P Zeros are much harder than the Bridgestones, and perform well in the wet (but not class leading). They wear well and will take abuse (to a degree).

Steve
Old 20 September 2000, 08:54 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

You could always try one of the budget brands like Kumho or Marshal.

A friend of mine drives a Renault 21 Turbo which has Marshal 717 tyres on it. He slides it about quite a lot in the wet (and dry ) but the tyres seem to be lasting well. They should be fairly cheap and most independant tyre dealers will sell them.
Old 20 September 2000, 09:19 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Avon Z1's.

Stef.
Old 20 September 2000, 10:48 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

I put on dirt-cheap "Nangkang" tyres for my track day - hardish compound and only £46 a corner fitted at my tame local garage. I was surprised how much grip there was, and they were only about 1/3 worn at the end of 1.5hrs driving at the Abingdon track day. Not a massive difference to the RE010s fitted as standard...

Richard
Old 20 September 2000, 11:38 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve,

I found the continentals to be extrememly solid. The Bridgestones I am using at the moment seem to be litterally falling apart around the edges, seems sooo brittle. I never got that from the Continentals. When they wore, they produced a very even tread wear from the 'soles'. I never experienced wear from the walls or edges of the Conti's.

I'll stress again, Continentals are probably the best dry weather/track tyres you will find. (If you dig up the last Autocar tyre test, you will find that these tyres produced the best dry weather handling ability out of all the tyres tested on that day, including bridgestones).

I also found that they were very durable against heat, unlike these Bridgestones. So if you are thinking about trackdays, you cant go wrong with them. But I have to say, its wet weather handling was a bit on the 'fun' side, because of its hard compound nature, it didnt heat as quickly as the others and therefor didnt produce as much wet weather grip.

Cem

Old 21 September 2000, 07:22 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Cool

Try Falken tyres. Not so hard but designed for german highways and som people use it as wet tyres /Falken FK-GRS/ in Hungary - Hungaroring due excellent price.
Old 21 September 2000, 01:41 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Check out