Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

17" vs 16"

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2000, 03:44 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm new to all this, and will be collecting my first scooby in a couple of weeks - I now have the decision - to stick with the std 16" wheels or go to 17".
How does the lower profile of 17" tyres cope with our road surfaces - I'm a bit worried about the increased risk of punctures and wheel damage.
Is the ride much harsher ? and is the better handling worth it ?
Old 24 August 2000, 05:45 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Jason,

Someone from Prodrive told me 17" wheels is the best upgrade you can do to the Scoob.

Greg (on 16" wheels )
Old 25 August 2000, 10:59 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Jason,
I upgraded from 16" to 17" alloys and have never looked back - in fact the wheels on my WRX look like 18" due to the fact they have 7 spokes and a narrow rim. I understand that some brake conversions need a 17" wheel size - don't quote me but that it what I have heard. I have not noticed any particular difference in ride. Hope this helps.
Old 29 August 2000, 03:17 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Etheridge-Bird:
<B>Jason,
I upgraded from 16" to 17" alloys and have never looked back - in fact the wheels on my WRX look like 18" due to the fact they have 7 spokes and a narrow rim. I understand that some brake conversions need a 17" wheel size - don't quote me but that it what I have heard. I have not noticed any particular difference in ride. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Looks like it's the 17's then .
Thanks

Old 31 August 2000, 01:37 PM
Robertski
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jason Hm:
<B> Looks like it's the 17's then .
Thanks

[/quote]
I talked to power engineering. Bigger wheels =slightly better handling. Smaller wheels=more power and speed.
Old 31 August 2000, 01:52 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

How is the power & speed affected - it should be the same if the overall diameter is the same

Old 31 August 2000, 02:08 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Question

Bit confused here..smaller wheels = more power and speed don't think so somehow.

Scooby wheels have increased in size from 15" to 16" and in some OE fits to 17" for many reasons (brakes being one) over the duration of the car and the power/performance issue has never come up before. The only discussion gone through on the BBS is about rolling circumference being maintained so the handling of the car is not upset from the OE settings. Hence, I believe, 50 series on 16" rims and 45 series on 17" rims are the norm, please put me right if I am wrong.

From a purely personal point of view the 17" rims on my RB5 feel much more positive than the 16" rims on my previous UK MY98 car...but it could also have something to do with the ProDrive kit I have fitted.

Yex
Old 31 August 2000, 03:34 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Talking

To be very pedantic!!!!

With a larger wheel and therefore lower profile tyre of the same overall diameter then more of the weight will be further from the centre of the wheel - this will give a larger moment of inertia - which will lead to slower acceleration, lower deceleration (you will need the bigger brakes that you can now fit under the bigger wheels - although that will again increase the moment of inertia causing you to fit yet larger brakes and therefore need 18s etc. etc. ) and less responsive steering (more gyroscope effect) and a harder ride (unless you let most the air out of course ) and more chance of damaging the rims

But they look much better and the lower profile tyre can give better handling
(although often a less progessive breakaway)

Paul (feeling pedantic and liking his 17s with big brakes)

[This message has been edited by pnebbs (edited 31 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by pnebbs (edited 31 August 2000).]
Old 31 August 2000, 07:04 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh bu99er, guess I'll be needing bigger brakes now then !!! I wonder which brand/supplier I should use ? (whoops, seems like a sore subject at the moment ).

However I am now confused cos my 17" wheels came with 215/40/ZR17 toyo's on, not 45's as suggested earlier? They were the same overall circumference though.

Just a thought.
Old 31 August 2000, 07:48 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Steve don't worry

you've got the correct size. If you had 205 width, then it's 45. With 215 you need 40 sidewall height. It's the height of the sidewalls measured in percentage compared to the width of the tyres. Without being Einstein if you have wider tyres (215 compared to 205) the figures has to be different and in this case smaller to retain the same circumference

Cheers
Mike