Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyres for my 1st airfield day

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2000, 09:49 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've booked my 1st ever airfield day on 24/7 at Abingdon.

I have the standard Bridgestones that came with my car, and they have done 7200 miles in 4 months.

So should I:

1. Leave them on, and get the Easytrack boys to have some others in case I wear them out?

2. Get some cheapies fitted beforehand, and then mine put back? If this option, any tips on where/who I should go to in the Leeds area or nearby?

cheers,

Greg

Old 06 June 2000, 06:36 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Greg.

Check your mail.

Stef.
Old 06 June 2000, 07:07 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Stef, could you copy your e-mail to me? I'm in an identical position...

Thanks
Richard
Old 06 June 2000, 11:33 PM
cdunleavey
Scooby Regular

Stef

Likewise. Any chance of spilling the beans ?
Old 07 June 2000, 09:05 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Angry

Stef is it a secret??

Not much point in someone starting a thread if we can't all see the outcome really is there?

....IS
Old 07 June 2000, 01:39 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Err, me too.

I'm in pretty much the same poition - first airfield day on 24/7 too. Can you send me the email, or put it on this thread?
Old 07 June 2000, 02:09 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Guess it could relate to this thread...
Old 07 June 2000, 03:44 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sorry chaps.

I simply told Greg that if he met me on the way early enough in Northampton he could fit some part worns for the day and return for a changeover aferwards.
I know the organisers offer new tyres but probably not part-worns.
Alternatively, trash your current tyres (save them for another track day) and buy some new ones afterwards.
That's it.
No real secrets.

Stef.
Old 07 June 2000, 05:06 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

so seeing as some other 1st timers have popped out of the woodwork, what are you planning to do with your tyres/brakes for the day?

Mine is a bog standard MY00 with Scoobysport backbox and brake support bracket, I don't think I will change anything else before 24/7.

cheers,

Greg
Old 07 June 2000, 06:39 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

This is tyre prices from the Easytrack boys, available on the day if you give them sufficient notice:

Yokohama A520/A539 @ £85 each (best in the dry - wear quickly but great on track

Pirelli PZero @ £115 each (best all rounder)

Bridgestone S02 @ £120 each (best in the wet)

Goodyear F1s @ £120 each

all prices include VAT & fitting on the 24th.
Old 08 June 2000, 02:29 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Red face

I did Weathersfield Airfield courtesy of the SIDC a year or so ago. I was warned about it being very hard on tyres, but didnt realise just how hard. By the end of the day 2 tyres were completely illegal and worn down through the rubber into the internal layers. Pete C. also had this on his slicks. I needed to borrow two wheels to get me home, and ended up with 2 silver wheels and 2 gold ones!!
Old 08 June 2000, 03:41 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Stop it, you're putting me off.

By the time my car arrives, it'll only have about 1200 miles by 24/7 - so fairly new tyres - I don't really want them falling apart immediately.

Are airfields much harder on tyres than tracks?
Old 08 June 2000, 07:31 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Yes, but it depends how you drive!
Part-worns are definitely a good idea.

Stef.
Old 08 June 2000, 10:36 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

We've already done Abingdon and it's not too drastic on your tyres. We went on a really cheap set of tyres with a hard compound (£30 each tyre) and we lasted all day on them. We did push them hard but they will be back on for our next trip there on 7th July although we don't expect to go home on them. I think the softer compounds will suffer most.

Also, we're trying to persuade the Easytrack guys to change the direction after lunch this time (they don't usually bother - I don't think the Elise boys can handle two directions in the same day!) so this should help with even tyre wear.

Colin, Rich R, Bob - are you out there to comment, you all did Abingdon on the same day as us.

Jo
Old 08 June 2000, 10:42 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I like the sound of £30 tyres for the event, while I'm getting the general feel of the car.

What cheap hard compound tyres can you recommend? - and where from at such low prices?
Old 09 June 2000, 12:48 AM
bob
Scooby Regular

I purchased a new set of tyres for a day at Abingdon They were £50 each and the compound is on the hard side. 3 of the tyres are just like new and the front nearside (right hand track) is a little worn on the shoulder. The ware is very good at Abingdon. My tyres should last for 5-6 track days at Abingdon. At kemble they will last about the day. The brakes lasted 6-8 laps and then went up in smoke.
Bob
Old 09 June 2000, 01:56 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Whilst we are on the subject are there any other areas of preparation/post mortem which we can benefit from.

Personally I was going to change the oil after the day and just check all fluids and tyre pressure, anything else??

Que Stef (Codpiece man) he he

PS. Had a quote of £125.00 per corner for SO2’s from easytrack, been quoted £110.00 inc vat inc fitting for P Zeros.
Old 09 June 2000, 02:04 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

I think you really want one of those cod piece things for the front of your motor, the way you keep going on about it.

You've obviously got all the Cameo albums!

IS he he
Old 09 June 2000, 02:18 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Damn someone has told you about my Cameo album collection.

Cod piece on my car, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, never...................ever.

Anyway tips for car preperation please and post prep.
Old 09 June 2000, 02:43 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well mr SJD i've done a handful of track days and only twice in my own car , but I think you should check the liquids before you go and top up if needed, checking the tyre pressures is a must (as i know from Donnington) give the wheel nuts an extra squeeze just in case, basically enjoy the day.Give the car a recheck before home time and that's really it.Apart from making sure you leave your tapes, c.d's and all other items that may rattle around whilst you're spinning off ...yes that includes your furry dice my friend!!

..IS
Old 09 June 2000, 04:07 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Actually

Bloody good advice about the tapes cds etc.

Some **** just went into the back of my car, fooch.

Only light cosmetics.

****e
Old 09 June 2000, 05:29 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Scott.

Kindly stop fantasising about my cod-piece wil ya!!!!

Stef.
Old 09 June 2000, 08:09 PM
cdunleavey
Scooby Regular

As Jo said, a few of us have already done Abingdon and I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively little tyre wear. I was on track 3 times and apart from heavy wear on the shoulder of my offside tyre, no major damage (I was also running tyres too soft for the day). This was my first airfield or track day, so maybe I'll do more damage next time !!!

With a bit of care you're road tyres will undoubtedly survive the day, but if you have the option of a spare set of wheels then this is certainly the most worry free option. I'm trying to get my hands on an cheap set of 16"s at the moment for this purpose as they are obviously also cheaper to replace than my 17" road wheels.

Cheers
Colin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jo Peters:
<B>Hi Guys

We've already done Abingdon and it's not too drastic on your tyres. We went on a really cheap set of tyres with a hard compound (£30 each tyre) and we lasted all day on them. We did push them hard but they will be back on for our next trip there on 7th July although we don't expect to go home on them. I think the softer compounds will suffer most.

Also, we're trying to persuade the Easytrack guys to change the direction after lunch this time (they don't usually bother - I don't think the Elise boys can handle two directions in the same day!) so this should help with even tyre wear.

Colin, Rich R, Bob - are you out there to comment, you all did Abingdon on the same day as us.

Jo [/quote]

Old 09 June 2000, 09:46 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Triggaaar

Will find out the make of the tyres we used but bear in mind that the Dave - owner of said white STI IV of which I was a passenger - has his own tyre place so he will have got them trade.

Jo