TYRES / PIRELLI

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2000, 09:22 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Help

I need to start thinking about getting new boots for my scooby and cannot decide the best tyres for it.
Anyone know what Pirelli P Zeros are like, or advise any other good tyres for it.
Only gonna be on slicks soon good for summer but if it rains i gonna be up a tree
Old 10 May 2000, 09:59 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just had F1s fitted, had the two rears fitted first with original Potenzas on the front and was very dissapointed. Now had the other two F1s fitted and WOW!!!! absoluteley brill, let em wear in for 500 miles and have fun!

Paul
Old 10 May 2000, 10:00 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

And only £100-00 a corner all in from Motorway Tyres!!
Old 11 May 2000, 02:59 PM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

Here's a copy of some email I sent to a friend of mine on the subject of tyres a while ago, which might be useful for you:

The test covers five tyres in the "family car" sector, which are 195/55R15, although not the high-performance end of the market. They also test five tyres in the "high-performance" category, which are 205/50R16. Ideally you want to be putting on high performance tyres, but some of them are pretty pricey. At micheldever tyres the Goodyear Eagle F1s cost a bit over 96 quid per corner and the Bridgestone S02-PP cost just over 106 quid per corner. These prices include VAT and fitting for a 205/50R16 tyre. The smaller size will probably be a bit cheaper, but Micheldever tyres are generally about the cheapest place around.

In the Family category they test the following tyres:

Continental ContiEcoContact SP
Dulop SP Sport 2000
Firestone Firehawk 700
Goodyear Eagle Ventura
Michelin Pilot Primacy
Pirelli P6000 Powergy

The Goodyear spanked all the others by a big margin in every single wet test. Unfortunately, it was also the slowest of the tyres around the track in the dry. Autocar rated it as the best tyre of the group all the same:
"Overall, the results i the table above spell out a familiar message: there is no one tyre that is outstanding at everything. FOr all the improvements in compounds and construction in recent years, your tyres still won't excel in both wet and dry.
"The dissappointing Dunlop proved a duffer in both, whereas the rest generally shone on one or the other -- Firestone and Michelin in the dry, the others in the wet. The Pirelli came closest to being a genuine all-rounder, and secured second overall.
"There was one outstanding tyre -- the Goodyear. Ask drivers what they want most from a tyre and most will say wet safety, something this tyre offers in spades. Even it's closest competitors have a lot of catching up to do."

In the high-performance category they tested the following tyres:
Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position
Continental ContiSportContact CP
Dunlop SP Sport 9000
Goodyear Eagle F1
Michelin Pilot HX MXM
Pirelli P7000

"F1s old enemies [Bridgestone and Goodyear] are still slogging it out at the top, with Pirelli in close competition.
"The others are far enough behind to rate as also-rans. You might consider the Michelin or Continental for their fine handling in the dry, but why would you when the Bridgestone is about as good in the dry and so much better in the Wet? Had Michelin's directional Sport XGT been available as a 205/50R16 things may have been different, but the ageing non-directional MXM can't cut it in the wet, and neither can the mildly asymmetric ContiSportContact.
"The Dunlop, sadly, has nothing to commend it save its low coast-by noise, which is hardly enough to endear it to drivers concerned more with performance and safety.
"For a directional typre it is particularly disappointing in the wet, suggesting that Dunlop's compounding expertise falls significantly short of its rivals'.
"Although the Bridgestone and Goodyear tie on points, the Japanese tyre is the better all-rounder, with the Goodyear pipping it in the wet. The Pirelli is almost as good on rain-soaked asphalt but, like the Goodyear, loses its edge in the dry.
"So the Bridgestone, in it's lates Pole Position variant, gents our vote once again. It's the best performance tyre you can buy. But pick any of the top three and you're unlikely to be disappointed."

I hears from a guy who tried the flagship Michelin Pilot Sports (mentioned above) that they were great in the dry but were not good in the wet.
It's worth noting that they tested the Pirelli P7000 and it did well. This tyre is not the top of the Pirelli range so you might be able to get it quite a bit cheaper than the S-02 or Eagle F1 tyres. I'm not sure how the P-Zero fits into the equation. I know it's generally not rated as well as the S-02 or the F1, and maybe it's old enough that the P7000 is a better bet anyway. No idea what the new P-Zero they're just about to bring out is like.
Another tyre they didn't test that I have heard reasonably good things about is the Yokohama AVS Sport, which is their flagship performance tyre. Apparently it's not quite as grippy as the S-02, especially when it's very wet, but it's on-the-limit handling is quite progressive and it's quite a lot cheaper than the S-02 and Eagle F1.
Old 11 May 2000, 03:03 PM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

The test referred to above was the one Autocar did last December.

As far as price goes, I've heard of people getting the Goodyear Eagle F1 for 65 ukp per corner, including VAT and fitting from (I think) Wembley Tyres. As I said in another thread, if I could have had the F1s for this price I would have gone for them instead of the S-02s at 106/corner without a second thought.

As things were I got a set of Bridgestone S-02 Pole Positions, and I'm very happy with their performance. A great tyre.
Old 11 May 2000, 09:32 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]