Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Vibratey brakes

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2000, 12:18 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I've talked to Pete. He thought it might be the road salt option but I wondered if anyone had come across it before. Also, I'd have thought (hoped) that it would work itself out. I thought I'd ask before I get Pete to check it out (he's a hour and a half's drive from me).

Shouldn't be that the pads are low cos I've only had the brakes a couple of months...
Old 31 January 2000, 12:32 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Maybe the pads are glazing up. are you running the Brembo pads, or something else with a higher temperature range?.

What sort of use (or abuse ) do they get?.
I would guess that for the pedal to vibrate, the pad isn't clamping the disk evenly, or has some glazing. Taking the pads off and having a look at their condition would be a good place to start - doesn't take too long either (less than your 3hr round-trip to SS).

Cheers,

Alex
Old 31 January 2000, 12:51 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alex

Erm, not sure about the pad type. they're whatever you get when you go to Pete and go "put the Brembo stuff on my car".

The weird thing about it is that I was driving along, approaching a left-right chicane-type of bend. I dabbed the brake just a touch to settle the car down and noticed the vibration immediately. I maybe shaved 5-10 mph off my speed so wasn't really hitting them hard and I'd never felt that before.

I had a look through the wheels (not the best way I know) and the outboard pads looked as if they were located properly but I guess the only way to know is to get the wheels off.

Hmmm, maybe it's time I came clean about another little problem. Apparently there is a leak from the front oil seal on the rear diff. Pete says he's never seen one go before (hey, a world first for me - yippeeee) so this couldn't be anything to do with it could it? I'm just wondering about low oil levels in diff with change in pitch of car as well as speed meaning something vibrates. It doesn't vibrate unless I'm braking though. As I type this, it kinda looks total @rse but you never know (or do you.....).
Old 31 January 2000, 09:21 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone have any ideas what's causing my brake pedal to feel like it's vibrating? It happens when the brakes are warm (not hot). The car's got the SS Brembos on the front and it started about a week ago after I lightly braked coming up to a corner.

It almost feels like you can feel the grooves in the disks through the pedal. I figured there might be some salt from the roads in the piston but I don't know why it should produce that effect.

Also, the sound that you get when the brakes are hot is present all the time. I also thought that some salt might be keeping the pad against the disk, thus heating it up and producing the noise but surely this should have worked itself out by now?

Any suggestions gratefully received...
Old 31 January 2000, 11:47 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Hi Richard,

Check your pads, it may be that they are low enough that their heat dissipation ability has been compromised. I to get this, I thought it may be something to do with the play in the "fully-floating" disk system. Pete Croney is the man who can set us right!

Moray
Old 31 January 2000, 11:48 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Sorry to state the obvious have you tried talking to Pete at Scoobysport ?????
Old 01 February 2000, 12:48 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Richard,

Hmmm... it sounds like a return to SS for an inspection is required. If you didn't specify anything different I think you will have the brembo 'fast road' pads fitted - but I'm not sure. Do you get any squealing from the pads, or is there just vibration?. Does the vibration get better or worse when you brake harder?.

Either way, I'd get your diff leak fixed asap as they are very pricey to fix or replace. My ex-golf required a diff rebuild, and it came to almost £1000 . i doubt it has anything to do with your braking issues though...

Regards,

Alex

Old 01 February 2000, 12:58 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Yep, car's in this Friday to have the leak sorted.

I don't get much squealing - just the normal brake dust kind of squeal, normally at low speed. When I brake harder I think the vibration gets more noticeable. I don't think it ever gets to the point where it's like "she cannae take it captain" but it could be that it only feels worse because I'm pushing harder on the pedal so the vibration transfers to my foot easier.

Yeah, I think a trip to SS is in order (especially as I've got some other little things that need doing as well).

Cheers guys
Old 01 February 2000, 01:08 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Gee, my first double post!

[This message has been edited by Richard F (edited 01-02-2000).]