really bad tyre wear.......help needed

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2003, 08:07 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Location: from an MY00 to a WR1 driving around sunny Staffordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Could anyone shed some light on what might be causing this tyre wear.The tyre is not rubbing on the bodywork. It was off the front drivers side and it was the inner edge. I had the full geometry checks done at TSL in March and the camber on the front was set to -0*56'. It has gone from new tyre to this in 7,000 miles.
Does it look like a tyre related problem or a goemetry related problem?
help on the subject very much appreciated

Mike

hope these pictures work

Old 17 November 2003, 08:57 PM
RallyMarshal
Scooby Regular

Catching the inner spring platform?

Paul..
Old 18 November 2003, 08:11 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO - it's gotta be rubbing on sommat
Old 18 November 2003, 10:35 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Definately catching the lower part of the spring mount.There is no way a tyre on a flat surface (Road) will wear in that way no matter how bad the allignment is out.

Zippy
Old 18 November 2003, 01:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Does look like it is rubbing on something!

se if there is anything shiney/worn in the wheelarch that corresponds with the radius of the mark.
Old 18 November 2003, 04:29 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies but it is definately NOT rubbing on any part of the suspension or bodywork( no rub marks anywhere). I should imagine a if it were rubbing on the suspension or bodywork I would really be able to hear and feel it happening. I have been told that it might be a faulty tyre or that I might not be cornering quick enough around left hand bends as you do tend to go around right corners more(roundabouts)but I wasn't sure whether this was a joke or not.
Anymore help would be appreciated

Mike
Old 18 November 2003, 04:33 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Thats nothing to do with roundabouts.
I've worn my L/H front out on roundabouts and it look like a chamfer not a rebate.
It must be rubbing on something - perhaps when the suspension is compressed ? ie Only touching when hitting a bump etc

Chris
Old 18 November 2003, 08:08 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

whatever it may be rubbing it is very consistant to wear such a smooth even groove away like that, if it was an intermitant rub would it not be more uneven ??
Very unusual........

just realised it looks as if your taking your rubber to bed with you also !!! lol

Simon
Old 18 November 2003, 08:19 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Question

Just to confuse you all even more, the groove is less than this on the opposite side of the tyre. This is what is makeing me think it might very well be the tyre which is at fault and not the suspension(dodgy side wall construction).

Anyone else seen this sort of wear before?

Mike

[Edited by mikey5T - 11/18/2003 8:28:16 PM]
Old 18 November 2003, 08:19 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just an idea.

If you can, jack the car up at the front and put full lock on both ways and see if it touches anything.
Old 19 November 2003, 08:56 AM
Silverman
Scooby Regular

Dab some white emulsion on the worn part of the tyre re-fit check in a couple of days if the paint has rubbed off and stuck to anything underneath but don't do it when its raining!! JD
Old 21 November 2003, 03:58 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Will try the suggestions this weekend.

Thanks guys

Mike

[Edited by mikey5T - 11/21/2003 4:00:10 PM]
Old 21 November 2003, 07:25 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Maybe a bit of a long shot - I know you said that its not rubbing anything, but is the plastic inner wheelarch liner securely fitted?

Is the same wear happening on the replacement tyre?
Old 23 November 2003, 09:21 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mine's doing the same but not to the same extent as yours

You can definitely feel a shoulder and the fronts have a similar wear pattern, i.e. it's approx 5-10mm in from sidewall...

Apple
Old 23 November 2003, 09:26 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just to add, I wonder if it's a geometry setup combined with the construction of the tyres (there seems to be a different shade from the sidewall to the tread and around certain bits of the circumference there's a ridge on this "join"), the tyre pressure and "driving technque" that produces this? (How's that for a blanket statement... )

I know that there's nothing rubbing around the wheel arch as I've had a look today whilst doing something else.

Apple

[Edited by Apple - 11/23/2003 9:29:23 PM]
Old 29 November 2003, 09:45 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Apple

The tyre wear in your photo is identicle to the wear I was having on the front and rear passanger sides and the rear drivers side after the car was set up at Powerstation, the front drivers side had no uneven wear on it at all. I decided to go to TSL for their geometry set up and this has cured the tyre wear on the 3 tyres but now I have the ridge worn into front drivers side that was previously unworn.

I seem to have suffered from uneven tyre wear on the car from new even though I have spent neally 300 pounds on having the car set up correctly.

Mike
Old 29 November 2003, 11:15 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Mike,

That's a coincidence as my geometry was done at Powerstation as well...

It seems for mine that it's due to having a bit too much negative camber on the front wheels (for higher cornering ability) but the downside is that if you drive in a "straight line" more then you wear away the inside edges - it's all a compromise between handling / longevity.

I might try the TSL setup next time as they're a bit nearer - you said that it was even wear on your tyres with their setup? What's the handling like and do you go through tyres quickly?

On yours, if three tyres are OK and one is scrubbing away, it doesn't appear to be a geometry setup problem and could be more of an "interference fit" between the tyre and something on the car...

Are the offsets the same on the two wheels on the axle in question?

Have you got part of the inner wing hanging down / fouling / rubbed away?

Are the springs and dampers the same on each side - one side not lower than the other and letting the spring carrier touch?

Apple
Old 07 December 2003, 10:29 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Smile

Apple

I'll try and answer all your questions.

Yes, it has been even wear on the other three tyres since TSL did the geometry.

The handling is fine and it doesn't under steer as much as it used to do from the factory setup.

General tyre wear seems OK, about 10,000-12,000 miles from a set.

I am begining to think more and more that it is a dodgy tyre and not an "interference fit"

Yes, as far as I know the offsets on the wheels are the same on both sides of the axle. The wheels are BK 238 7.5x18" with a 50mm offset.

No, there is nothing hanging down to catch the tyre and no part of the inner wing is rubbed away either.

The springs and dampers are the same both sides. Eibachs springs were fitted at Powerstation when I had the first qeometry setup done. The car seems to sit level on the road also.

The tyre I have replaced this on with seems so far to be OK but I am keeping a close eye on it so fingers crossed it will be fine.

If the wear on the replacement tyre is normal then I will get in touch with Toyo and send the tyre back to them and see what they have to say about it.

I'll keep you informed of what happens, who knows I might even get a free tyre out of them

Thanks Mike
Old 07 December 2003, 11:28 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mike,

Thanks for the info and good luck if you send a tyre back to Toyo

I only mentioned about things rubbing as a mate with an integrale had had a driveshaft gaiter fitted with a tie-wrap on one end to get it through an MOT and the end of the tie-wrap flailing around wore through his ABS sensor, hence warning light on all the time and intermittent ABS

Looks like I might have to give TSL a try for the goemetry when I swap tyres (I must be in granny mode as I'm getting over 16k out of a set...)

Apple
Old 08 December 2003, 09:41 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm getting very close to needing some new rubber myself cos my toyos are dying - 17k + so far
Anyway, i was just fitting some new Brakes this weekend, and i have a very similar tyre to Apple's pic up there I've always kept a very close eye on my rubber, and i've seen no evidence of any problem such as this. Now that the tyre is just about at the end of it's life, it seems to have suddenly appeared.
The shoulder is also not consistent round the circumfrence of the tyre, which would suggest, rubbing on sommat isn't to blame.
Old 08 December 2003, 10:46 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hey Brun, 17k and you're complaining bout the shoulder???

I used to have a company car, they all used to take bets, cos they reckon everytime my car went in for a service it always seemed to need new brakes and front tyres. I used to keep saying it woz a problem with the car, not quite sure they believed me though

Trouble is, now I got me Scoob, it's muggins that gotta pay for the tyres and brakes