Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyres........Best and the Worst

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 10:28 AM
"MADDOG"
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lads, I am going to buy some new tyres to go on my 18" rims, which in your opinon are the best and which make are to be avoided.

Any feedback would be welcome

"MADDOG"
Old 09 July 2003, 10:31 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

i've got toyo proxes on and they're awesome. had some crap fuelda's on when i bought the car and the difference is amazing. the toyo's just grip and then grip some more.

gav..
Old 09 July 2003, 10:33 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Avoid Avon ZZ1's ........The worst tyre I've ever used!
Old 09 July 2003, 10:35 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've had Bridgestone RE010s, RE040s, Pirelli PZeros and Toyo T1-S Proxes.

The 010s are crap. Tramline everywhere. Not terribly progressive
040s (OEM on 03) are OK, progressive, not terribly grippy.
PZeros are an absolute liability in the wet. Progressive at all times, but truly bloody awful when wet.
Toyos are superb, damn grippy wet or dry, and progressive at all times

Go for Toyos. They're cheap too
Old 09 July 2003, 10:42 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Goodyear F1's or Toyo Proxies

Pirelli's are poo
Old 09 July 2003, 10:49 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

I'm a bit disappointed with the dry weather grip of my Toyo Proxes compared to the Goodyear F1s i had before. Wet weather grip seems to be almost as good though.

Not such a big price difference as there used to be either.

I am definitely going back to Goodyears next time.
Old 09 July 2003, 10:53 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'd really like to know if anybody on here can actually tell anything about their tyres on a Scooby on the road.

I read about how tyres are this and that and think, yeh right.

I'm almost inclined to say I feel I could keep up on the road on just my rims but of course that would be daft.

Anybody else think like me or do you honestly think you are qualified enough on the road to express such a definite opinion about tyre performance? (not wear).
Old 09 July 2003, 11:08 AM
calder
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know where i can get toyo T1-S Proxes at a good price?
mytyres.net / mytyres.co.uk hasn't had them for ages?
The local dealers are a bit pricey and i could do with having a set for replacement soon.
cheers
calder
Old 09 July 2003, 11:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
STi wanna Subaru : Tell me about it
I'm the unfortunate owner of ZZ1 tires on my scoob (inherited from previous owner)

Did you ever have a problem with the tyre noise?

Damn things won't wear out either....I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing

Thought I'd add a little road-based review on them....
Dry grip = OK, can break away unexpectedly if pushed to the limit
Wet grip = Crap, Understeers on tight slow corners, braking not good either
noise = Awful, sounds like I have duff wheel bearings - my landy with full off-road tyres makes less road noise!
Price = Good, you pay for what you get
Wear = Good, Can't wear them out approx 15K and still loads of tread

Overall view = Does not inspire confidance when driving hard, but will safetly do the job on a budget. Road noise is terrible. Rim protectors work well

Rating : 4/10

Testing on my scoob with 17" rims, all the suspension geometry checked and correct and compared to the original Bridgestones (on the orginal 15" rims).

[Edited by ALi-B - 7/9/2003 11:43:33 AM]
Old 09 July 2003, 01:49 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

I'll back that up - had ZZ1's on the rears, and toyos on the front. Difference in grip was astonishing, rear just let go sooo easily in the wet...could be done purely by yanking the steering one way...!! To be expected though I guess - toyos on front renowned for wet grip, and zz1s on the back , renowned for cr4p wet grip

Spoon, these are just people's opinions. Take em or leave em. When someone puts a post up and asks a question, he/she knows s/he's getting a whole host of opinions, some by technically qualified people, others just expressing their personal views on the subject.

If you drive your motor enthusiastically, i.e. with an interest in how the cars performing and how it handles certain scenarios, you should get to know which tyres are better relative to one another. (I can take this corner at 40mph with XXX tyres before it slides, but only 30 with YYY tyres - not difficult to make an assessment!)

Cheers
Alex
Old 09 July 2003, 03:15 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Spoon,

Depends how you define quallified really. If you mean do i notice a difference in grip levels over roads and bends i know well in a car i have owned for 2 years then yes, i feel qualified to give an opinion.
If you mean am i such an ace driver that i could tell what tyres a car has on it just by the level of grip available then of course not.

Just giving my opinion dude
Old 09 July 2003, 04:32 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i agree with the comment above, my old tyres (feuldas) used to drift a bit round corners i know very well. where as my toyo proxes seem to grip more and i dont drift. going at the same speeds on the same corners, so i think that qualify's me to give an accurate opinion on these two particular types of brands.

gav..
Old 09 July 2003, 04:43 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

<nods head in agreement>

I've got zz1's on 17's, have had them for a long time and your right , the buggers just don't wear out!! I got them for hee haw, so wasn't bothered about them.

The odd thing about them though, was when my car had *relatively* std suspension, they were really really bad for grip irrespective of weather, but since the suspension has been changed, the car is absolutely transformed!! Doesn't make sense, but the car now grips and handles like a leech!! Honest!

I've just bought some Toyo's though, for another set of wheels and i'm expecting the car to be phenomenal on the road and track. Time will tell how i get on.

£282inc vat, not fitted for 4 215/40x17's Toyos. Is that ballpark?

Alan

Old 11 July 2003, 07:39 PM
stellaFella
Scooby Regular

Alan ..thats a good price mate. The toyo's are a good tyre nice and progressive so they let you know when you are getting near the limit. I had Bridgestone Potenza's on before them and they gave loads more grip but when the let go it was a bit of a shock.
Old 11 July 2003, 08:48 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You can try - www.selectatyre.co.uk

They're always good for Toyo's and have a good stock in their warehouse (got my 235/40/18's there for my Evo) at a good price.
Old 13 July 2003, 01:41 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I've now got Falken FK451 on mine

Dont see what the big deal is about the Toyo's - I've had them on the Scoob for ages, on 16's and now 18's

My assessment - The Falken Grip better in the Dry and the Toyo's are better in the wet - must say that the original tyres I got many years ago were a total liabity in the wet!

So it depends what you want - depending on how many miles I do I may go back to Toyos over the wet winter period...........

Falkens are cheaper - I paid £100 a tyre in Bristol on 18's - similar Toyos would have been about £115 ish

Others have put Falkens on a Scoob with good results - buts thats not to say that they wouldnt be poor in other sizes - mine are 215/35/18 - I'd have preferred the 225's to protect the alloys all round - but they are a fair bit dearer!
Old 14 July 2003, 01:18 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

I've just done 2 track days with Falkens and I'd agree with above - no probs at all in the Dry - as long as you avoid the squirm on the fronts by putting at least 34psi in...but in the wet they're pants. Front just goes so early.

Haven't had toyos on this car but on my last scoob they were great in the wet and pretty great in the dry. Though I've heard S02s were slightly better in teh dry.

Old 14 July 2003, 01:39 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
contis were good, bridgestones were also fine
Old 14 July 2003, 02:20 PM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

I have got the Avon ZZ-3s (won them in the SIDC Japfest competition) Definitely better than the standard Bridestones that came with the car. Difficult to tell against the Toyos or other makes as I have never tried them on this car.

One thing is the ZZ-3s have started "squealing" a bit. Don't think I am driving harder than I used to - maybe it is a characteristic of the tyre? Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers
Peter
Old 15 July 2003, 12:53 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

HI IVE JUST PUT A POST ,SORRY REPLY TO A GUY WITH THE GOODYEAR F1,S AND HANDLING LIKE A VOLVO ,LOL IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MOOR OF WHAT I SAW AND WAS TOLD BY SOME ONE AT TVR E.MAIL ME, was about to get good tears my self, not now, ive got 225/35/18 pirelli pz0,fine in the dry ok in poring rain but lost confidence, on damp roads ,EEK, give no worning of letting go, can get as new 18 toyo proxy,s or brigestone s102 in the above size ,for well under a £100 may be £70-£75 prob done 300 miles and not used on the track either, put it this way when i saw them i didnt even realise they had been used, e.mail if you wany moor info.m.
Old 15 July 2003, 10:50 AM
pthomlinson@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

I'll start by saying I don't think im qualified very well for tyre opinions.

Currently got Bridgestone Potenza'a on 17's, I think they're perfectly OK but I do notice a lot of tramlining on the roads we have in the lake district.

My tyres are due for renewal shortly, and was looking at the Toyo's, after reading some of the replies on here I think that's what I'll go with too if they're that good in the wet (not a bad idea living in the wettest place in England!) and I've always been a bit nervous about wet driving after a close call a few years ago.

Hoe long should I expect the Toyo's to last?
Old 15 July 2003, 10:52 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The ZZ1's were on my 205 Gti.... I'd hate to think what they are like on a 250bhp scoob!!
Old 15 July 2003, 06:09 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

If you had a choice.... Toyo v F1 which would it be?
Old 15 July 2003, 08:54 PM
bigal13
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

hi

i have just fitted 4x goodyear f1 gsd-3 today and before you say did you read the thread about then cutting through on the inside yes i have

as they were only rubbed and cut through on the inside i think they have fitted over size wheels and tyres on so on full lock the tyres are rubbing

as for the f1's i would recommend theses to anyone

big al
Old 16 July 2003, 09:16 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Guys you never mention new Michelins Pilot Sports and you always rate them as one of the worst tire all around, although most of the Auto magazines in Europe tested them and found that are if not the best always on first positions on tests.
No one has these tyres in his car?
I had them in my previous MY00 and I am very pleased with the results but don't forget our tarmac that is completely different from yours!
JIM
Old 16 July 2003, 07:01 PM
Lee uk300
Scooby Regular

Michelins are alot better than f1's and toyo's but you will pay alot more for them. If you want value for money look into Nokian. (directional)