Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Vibration on the rearside

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2003, 04:03 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed recently that my car (MY2000, 17") vibrates on speeds above 90mph.
You can feel the vibrations in the seat and my back...

The car is just serviced, all axles are checked and the wheels are balanced.
Is there something that I forgot to check or is the vibration just normal ?

Creepy
Old 18 May 2003, 10:33 PM
awd2000
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Just about to post the exact same problem - on an MY2000 as well (but with standard wheels)!

Tyres Northampton have checked...
- balance
- wheel runout
- tyre runout and fitting
- all wheel alignment

and I've tried tyre pressures and checked wheel bearings etc.

Have run out of ideas - so anyone out there with any suggestions?

AWD2000
Old 19 May 2003, 10:05 PM
Hobbit
Scooby Regular

Suggest something else must be out of balance, I have also experienced this on my my00 - around 80 - 90 mph is where you notice this, and is worse when you brake hard and often, makes a drumming / drone noise after fast road sections with applications of brakes - coming from rear pasenger side of car - could also be brake discs or drive shafts is all I can think of... Subaru tell me all is OK at recent full service which included balance of wheels, and laser align of wheels (checked out OK).

The only other possibility is something strange going on with the tyre as they change shape at speed....
Old 20 May 2003, 11:55 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I mentioned this about slight wobble at Powerstation yesterday and they rebalanced mine and it's now smooth at all "normal-ish" speeds.

They did say it can depend on how the wheel is weighted when it's balanced - if you have weights just along centre track of wheel ID then it's a compromise between the balance of the inner and outer tracks, ideally the inner and outer tracks are both balanced and this takes out the wobble - it did on mine (MY02)

they hinted that the centre track method was the cheap, quick & easy way of doing it but wasn't always satisfactory...

Apple

[Edited by Apple - 5/20/2003 12:25:20 PM]
Old 20 May 2003, 05:39 PM
Ianwales
Scooby Regular

If any of your wheels are not quite round for instance been driven through a pothole too fast compressing the wheel slightly you may never quite get it too balance perfectly. Also some places only balance to within 5% ask about balancing to zero.
Old 20 May 2003, 05:52 PM
Hobbit
Scooby Regular

Interesting - I had stick on weights inside the wheels - now they are mounted on the outsides....
Old 20 May 2003, 08:17 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

I had my wheels balanced again, on inner and outer side, vibration almost gone.

Then I discovered that somebody (Dealer, previous owner ??) had put some rubber between the original exhaust mounts, so that the exhaust was unable to move ( It was also badly installed in the first place because it hit the rear bumper, hence the rubber things...)

Now, I refitted the exhaust and removed the rubber things, just using the original rubber exhaust mounts.

PROBLEM SOLVED....

I also discovered that my exhaust is connected to the gearbox with a brace, like all I think, and that brace was a litlle loose...So I tightened it up

Creepy...
Old 17 August 2003, 01:13 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Many tyres fitters and balancers wont admit that there are tolerances as to how accurate their balancing is.

I had a major vibration problem once and it took 5 different companies to sort it!

In the end I went to a large name company who invest millions into training their staff properly. Problem sorted!

So remember - even though you may have seen them balance the wheels, it doesn't mean they have done it properly!

Oh, and yes there could be other buckles on the wheels that the machine doesn't pick up.