Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Replacement order?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 01:23 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My P1 recently (1500 miles ago) had a new set of PZero's put on the front - by the previous owner.

The rear PZero's are now nearing replacement time and I'm wondering whether I should put the (slightly) newer set on the rear, or swap them over and stick the new rubber on the front.

I'm also cautious of going with PZero's considering the slating they get on here. I'm not too keen on mixing 'n' matching types - but definitely am not going to ditch the nearly-new PZero's.

All advice appreciated!
Old 06 January 2003, 02:19 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

I have to admit I'm not impressed with the P-zeros and have just gone over to some Toyos which are great........

HOWEVER. as you rightly say, at the price you pay, you don't want to be throwing away your nearly new Zeros!!!

I also don't like the idea of mixing and matching.

What I'd do...... buy another pair of Zeros.. put the newones on the front and move the slightly worn ones to the back.

This'll even out the wear over time and next time you need to replace them, you might as well change them all, as they'll all be well worn.

Sorted.

Just look forward to incredible grip when you change them all next time round.......
Old 06 January 2003, 04:28 PM
ADY 555 !
Scooby Regular

Angry

It is not recommended that you change 2 tyres on a 4wd car. Be warned.
Old 06 January 2003, 04:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

4 toyos on P1 wheels cost me just over 300 quid including vat, valves and fitting.

What will 2 Pzeros cost you?

I wouldn't mess about with tyres, they're the final link keeping you going where you want to go
Old 06 January 2003, 04:55 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Cool

When I was young and impetuous and had more money than sense, I used to swap all 4 tyres at once, as the phrase "You should never change just 2 tyres on a 4wd car" used to be said more often than "it's too cold to snow"

Then it dawned on me. My fronts wear out twice as fast as my rears. So, within a month or so of changing the tyres, the grip levels are already completely different from back to front. And somehow, I was still alive.

Since that moment of revelation, I have formed my own very expensively gained opinions:

1. Don't change 1 tyre at a time.
2. Don't change two tyres on one SIDE of the car.
3. Don't mix tyre types
4. Keep the best tyres on the front.
5. Get used to the grip levels before you kick the **** out of it!

Putting two new tyres on the front with two barely worn tyres on the back wont cause accidents - driving too fast will.

However, as per the point above - it didn't cost me very much more to put 4 new Toyos on than it would have cost for 2 P Zeros.
Old 06 January 2003, 05:07 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice guys.... Coming from a FWD background I'm happier (right now) making the car more understeer-happy than oversteer-happy.... I'm starting to think throwing some new T1-S's on the back and leaving the nearly new PZeros on the front will set the car up in the best compromise for me. I can then wear the front P1s out nice 'n' quickly and throw some more Toyos on... balancing up the wear at that time.

It may not be ideal... but I'll just ensure I don't drive like a $&£%

Of course the other option is to go T1-Ss all-round ... then try and flog the PZeros to someone - but I honestly don't see that happening. I wouldn't buy 2nd-hand tyres so I don't see anyone else wanting to!
Old 06 January 2003, 05:18 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

My P1 is on Pzero's still and all 4 have worn evenly (I've had the car from new)...
Old 06 January 2003, 11:16 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Mickle... that's kinda my problem(!)

The fronts wore out just *slightly* quicker than the rears and the previous owner replaced them with PZero's. I would've preferred to stick Toyos or Eagle F1s all round on... :-/