Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Are used tyres ok?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2002, 06:08 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Need a question answered about buying some used tyres for my scooby, my dilemma is that I am currently living in Germany and need to but some winter tyres as that is the norm out here when the cold months come, the problem I have is that I will probably be heading back home for good by march so I dont want to waste good money on some new tyres that I am not going to benefit from.
If I bought some used correct sized tyres for my current rims will they balance and track ok and not screw up the drive of the car?
The cost saving is huge but I dont want this to affect the car if I will soon be selling it.
So do I spend 500 quid plus on new tyres and crappy steel rims or get some pirelli snow sport 240's, 1 year old, over 50% wear left for a smidgen over 70 quid.

Help me out please.

John.
Old 11 December 2002, 07:45 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Personally I would never buy used tyres as you dont know where they have come from, they may have been damaged in an accident etc. They would still hold a pressure test even if damaged.

One answer is to buy a set of wheels,tyres from "for sale" then take the tyres off and re-sell the wheels. I did this a few years ago and got 4 new wheels/tyres for £450. Sold the wheels via scoobynet in 30 minutes for £250. So i had 4 brand new tyres for £200. A good deal methinks.

Chip
Old 11 December 2002, 07:46 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hmm, personally I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole. I know how critical tyres are on the scoob now...
Old 11 December 2002, 07:53 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've always had used tyres on my car without any problems.
Old 11 December 2002, 07:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Mark, is that your attempt at a pun or a play on words? Or are you being serious...
Old 11 December 2002, 08:04 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you or anyone has ever bought a USED car be it a Subaru or whatever, then chances are you've also bought used tyres .... which were probably alright ...

If you have a performance car and use that performance shall we say occasionally .... .... then you'll need good tyres of known quantity ... only new top brands can provide that assurance.

If you always go with the flow and never press on, then economy tyres will be perfectly adequate whatever you drive (many drivers like that even those with so called "performance" cars) However, tests have shown that half worn top brand tyres are still superior from most aspects than new(ish) economy versions. So again, yes, used tyres are fine ..... you takes your choice.
Old 11 December 2002, 08:05 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mark, is that your attempt at a pun or a play on words?
Damn. Rumbled.

Okay, well after I'd driven 5 yards they were used, albeit by me.

Let me just state, being serious for a minute, that I would never suggest buying used tyres from an unknown or untrusted source. Unless it's somebody you know (and trust with your life) walk away.
Old 11 December 2002, 08:09 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sicey,
Why would you not use the winter tyes in the UK on your return...they help in the cold as well as the snow. When i'm back I'll definately continue to use Winter Tyres. . Don't dismiss the risk of some cack handed tyre fitter taking off and putting on your current rubber plus potential alloy damage. As someone said earlier you don't change the tyres on a second hand car, unless you need to. You are unlikley to be hooning about with Winter tyres anyway so less risk(they have a much lower speed rating).

Cheers
Cammy

Wheels
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1924364553

or complete Legacy tyres and wheels.....

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1924648105

[Edited by camk - 12/11/2002 8:27:51 PM]
Old 12 December 2002, 02:20 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone, the deed is done and I managed to pick up some pirelli snowsport 240 rated winter tyres for the grand sum of 140 euros including delivery, now I just need to get them fitted, dont know whether to go to Subaru and have tracking and a geometry check done properly or just go to your average tyre fitter, I might check what the costs are at Subaru as I would prefer the job to be done properly.

Cammy - the car was bought here in Germany so its a left hooker and we are coming back permantly around march, personally I want to sell the car before I leave but the wife wants to take it back with us to use as a runaround, I think I will stick with selling it here and cutting my losses, besides its sounds like bugeye prices are crap in the UK and with the MY03 being a few grand cheaper now in the UK theirs no point in ordering a right hooker from my German dealer as I am not going to save any money.

Thanks all

john.