Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Knackers.

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2002, 09:04 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On pulling a sneaky move the other night to avoid her in door's cooking, i went down the take away. Unfortunately as opposed to parking next to the kerb, i drove straight into it. Whoops.
I've just noticed in the sidewall of the tyre, a cut which is about 8mm across and probably about 1mm deep into the rubber. I know it's probably hard to picture for you all, but should i forget about it? or splash the cash for a new boot. I wouldn't be so bothered, but it's only six weeks old.
Old 16 July 2002, 09:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

OK, this is prob going to get me flamed, BUT:
I did this self same thing with a tyre on my ZX Volcane, some years ago, towing a caravan down France. I bought some superglue, pealed the cut apart, put a thin layer of glue in, and held it shut. Superglue stix to rubber nearly as well as it stix to skin. The tyre lasted a further 15000 miles until I finally changed it as a pair due to wear, and the cut was virtually invisible during all that time.
Bet someone who knows more than me comes on here and says I shouldn't have done it 'cos Superglue rots tyres/degrades when hot/smells odd etc etc etc etc etc .
Old 16 July 2002, 09:41 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Food for thought!
I think the first thing i'll do is swap it to the rear of the car. Me thinks there will be less stress there.
Old 16 July 2002, 04:21 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL! 1mm deep! That's probably less than the manufacturing tolerance for it (or maybe not), but it's ok, forget about it. Put it in the rear if you like...
Old 17 July 2002, 09:02 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

More Knackers!
I've just noticed, it now seems to pull to the left. Bent track rod? or somthing else. I assume even a slight bend not visible to the naked eye would cause it to pull. If this is the case, is it common practice to adjust the track rod end to allow for the bend or is it a replacement job?
Sorry - so many Q's.
Old 17 July 2002, 09:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I should have it into a reputable dealer, mate, not necessarily Scooby, but one that does tracking.
Tell 'em you kerbed it, and see what they think.
When wifey did this to our Xantia (relax guys, second car), on ice, it was new front track rods, wheel, tie bars w.h.y.. Total was over £300!!!!
Best of luck mate, but get it sorted--if it's pulling to one side, it'll start to wear the tyre oddly, and once started, that can't be stopped.