Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2014, 09:16 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tyres

Just got my Blobeye STI.

Its on The Bridgestone's.

What do people do in Winter? Get a set of Winters or another set of more rain suited tyres?

I am after a spare set of alloys 114.3 to put something on just not sure what.
Old 25 August 2014, 11:01 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd recommend getting some proper winters. Spend as much on them as you would your summer tyres, or more. Don't scrimp if you actually intend to enjoy your car in winter! I've used Continental TS810/830/850's and found them to all be good but they're not stiff enough in the sidewall so you do get a slightly floaty feeling with them. The 850's IMO were worth the float in ice and snow though as you could hit the brakes reasonably hard on compressed snow from 80+ and not trigger the ABS. And given that my commute in winter can involve 15 miles of that for several weeks at a time, it's well worth it. However, if you're after something a bit more sporty then I'd look at the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4. They're more expensive but although I've not used them back to back on the same car, they've got stiffer sidewalls and still work very well on snow and ice. On a 400bhp S6 Avant they were astoundingly confidence inspiring well into three figures with wet slush on the road (ie above freezing) and when there was black ice and compressed snow on the ground (at lower speeds, obviously).

If you can afford the two sets of wheels (ie RE070 Summers and then some winters) then go for proper winter tyres as while all seasons are useful if you're just wanting one set for year round use, they do fall short when the weather really hits in winter.

Last year I ended up with some new Cooper Weathermasters on the WRX wheels. Luckily I acquired them as part of a trade and therefore owed me nothing, because they were utterly ****e. The sidewalls were ok but the rest of the time they were appalling. The plan this year is either to go for PA4's or Sottozero's but it depends what's available at the time for reasonable money as they both have their pro's and con's.

Last edited by ST-X; 25 August 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 26 August 2014, 08:07 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Thanks pretty comprehensive review.
Old 26 August 2014, 08:33 PM
Bean592
Scooby Regular

I ran the Pilot Alpin 4's last winter and found them to be really good although I too have never ran the same winters on two different cars so I can't comment compared to anything other than my summers. So my summers after pleanty of advice on here I went for Eagle F1 ASMY 2 and find these too to be exceptional compared to the budgets that were fitted to it when I first got it. I do agree with the above statement if your going to do it, do it properly or don't bother as if you scrimp you'll just be wasting your time. Good luck and there's pleanty of decent choices out there
Old 26 August 2014, 08:38 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran my hawk all through the winter on re070 and never had an issue lol. Even in big snow drifts,

The leon I used a budget brand off camskill, about 350 the set and they were really good, I forget the make but highly rated in Canada,

Tbh though I'd wait for the bad weather. I spent the 350 and then we had one day of snow and a handful of freezing conditions, and yes I know they work better below 7oC
Old 26 August 2014, 08:46 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

whats the traction like in the golf then Jake? what tyres you using etc

ive got 225/40/18 on mine its horrendous in the rain (Yokohama summer tyres)
Old 26 August 2014, 09:00 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Erm, sold the golf bought my k1 back lol
Old 26 August 2014, 09:01 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Traction is fine btw, has goodyears on, but rain will spin you up a bit.
Old 26 August 2014, 09:04 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
Erm, sold the golf bought my k1 back lol
ffs

what you like
Old 26 August 2014, 09:19 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

I like cupra haha

Tyres I had were sailun and were very good
Old 26 August 2014, 09:19 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

@cuprajake, sure, you can run re070's in winter. Hell, I've driven enough cars over the winter with nearly bald rubber to know you can get away with it, but I also know that I enjoy driving no matter what. Up here you get real winters, real snow, and when I want to get away to go boarding or winter climbing at 4am I know I want tyres that will actually work at their best. There is no way I would drive at even a fraction of the pace I do on winters when it's snowy if I was on summer rubber. It might not be worth it if you live in Devon but when you're constantly through muddy farm tracks and on unploughed and ungritted roads there is just no comparison. I've done weeks of driving on snow roads in the borders when the weather hits and the temperature doesn't creep past -5c. Like I say, you can actually brake hard with winters on snow and not worry about the abs or tc getting involved, and know that you'll probably be able to get yourself out of any situation. Winters and awd with some slippy diff's is a fantastic combo and one which is a mighty good bit of fun when the conditions present themselves!
Old 27 August 2014, 08:14 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

I am also after a set of std STI widetrack wheels so anyone with a set PM me with details.

Then I can buy a set of winters as recommended to stick on them.