Notices
West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) The official dedicated forum for West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club.

Is my car $h!t ???

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 12:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is my car $h!t ???

It's not far off a full year that I have had my car for sale with about as much interest as Keira Knightley would get at a puffs convention. Everyone says it's great looking and in stunning condition. Everyone who drives it says it handles like a dream and even though the power isn't up there with many, the handling more than makes up for it making it a very capable road car. It's treated with care, cleaned, polished, waxed, maintained, warmed, cooled and generally pampered. So, why does nobody want to buy it

Give it to me straight, honest, truthfully !! I've got broad shoulders and a strong chin. Is it $h!t ??
Old 08 September 2006, 12:53 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Originally Posted by corradoboy

Give it to me straight, honest, truthfully !! I've got broad shoulders and a strong chin. Is it $h!t ??
Okay, you asked

IMHO It's overpriced. Not ridiculously so, perhaps, but to the uninitiated first-time buyer it's not going to look as appealing as an STi. Add to that the fact that there's always 3-4 pages of the bloody things in AutoTrader, and it's very much a buyer's market.

Key word here is 'uninitiated'

It doesn't matter how much you've spent on mods, and what you've done to tweak this and that, or how well it's been looked after. If someone just wants a Scoob then it's more costly than your average (standard) WRX and too close to an STi.

Don't hate me for the above.

(Oh, and thanks for the Gwyneth last night)
Old 08 September 2006, 12:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Don't hate you, much

I understand what you're saying, but when I put it in t'Trader I pitched it slap bang between the 4 others that were in there that week, all of which were standard and didn't look as well cared for.
Old 08 September 2006, 01:01 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

How much are you asking for it???

truth be told no matter how much you hqave spent it wont be worth much more than a standard WRX. I paid 7k for my classic and after repairs and mods stands me at 11.5k - i have not owned it a year yet!!!! i know deep down i'd be lucky to get 6 for it.

Drop teh price - put in the advert 'mature owner' (serious) and when Mr Autotrader man comes to take a picture make sure your big 4 bed detached is in the background - if you dont own one then get a piccy with someone who has.

All my private purchases have been from afluent area's and i've never had trouble with my cars.

Good luck
Old 08 September 2006, 01:01 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Ditto above,

The first carrot in getting someone interested is the price, so obviously it is overpriced.

Mods don't value the car any more.

As a rule of thumb I always value my car as follows;

Year 1 30% Depreciation.
Year 2 25% Depreciation.
Year 3+ 25% Depraciation.

It hurst when you see how it is valued this way but IMO values it fairly in relation to the market.

HTH.
Old 08 September 2006, 01:19 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this will make you feel any better but Dsle who possibly has the quickest Spec C Subaru i know and has spent thousands on his car. i asked him how much it was worth he replied about 14k yet he told me it stands him at 37 grand

incidentally he has only done 9000 miles is a spec c bugeye
Old 08 September 2006, 01:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Autotrader private sales There are 2-3 non-PPP'd ropey looking ones a bit cheaper than mine, but any similar are dearer
Old 08 September 2006, 01:30 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Autotrader private sales There are 2-3 non-PPP'd ropey looking ones a bit cheaper than mine, but any similar are dearer
PPP'd is a nice to have, but I can't see any extra value added and so I would compare with WRX's given current demand and market.
Old 08 September 2006, 08:53 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I'd echo the above Dave, I've had 2 cars and sold them in the time you've had yours & sad as it is, I've had to take the hit with the price. We all know how I cherished my Impreza & then the Evo,as you do yours, but no matter how much effort you put into it , its never going to give you a return. I think the main problem is that theres so many pictures of your car on here, usually on the track, that it may put the less knowledgeable off buying.
If I was in the market for your type of car, then personally it wouldnt put me off as I know how sympathetic you are with it, but not everyone would see it that way.
I think stripping the car back to standard and selling the "upgrade" parts seperately would be a better option. I got an extra £1k by doing that to the Evo
and NO, its not ****

Also , when you're up against things like THIS its never going to be easy

Disclaimer: "not ****" is in no way comparing it to a superior jap car with a straight 4 cylinders , and rhymes with "its a pity , waterloo......erm......shun"

Last edited by MadGrip; 08 September 2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08 September 2006, 09:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yeah Phil, I'd seen that and PM'd it to Raf when he put his car up. I'd rather keep it and run it into the ground for the next 10 years than strip it or let it go for a song. I can feel smug in the satisfaction that all the skinflint buyers aren't getting an awesome car for a good price and laugh when they come on here spouting about how many thousands they've spent getting it anywhere near as good. I may change my philosophy if circumstances change, but for now I don't need to sell so won't.

Might take some new pics and tout it under a new username though
Old 08 September 2006, 10:37 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

I've seen your car for sale over the last year and very much admire it, but, it was always overpriced. I've bought and sold two newage cars in the time you have had yours for sale. One trick you could try is if you have any friends down south. I reckon the market is more bouyant down here. (you have to consider that some people just won't travel to buy a car)
Old 08 September 2006, 10:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

So, it seems I have overpriced it. When I pitched the price it was aimed in between cars of similar age and mileage on the AT website, although none could boast the same spec and their condition will always be questionable. Since posting this I have again reviewed the prices on AT and it is still within the realms of sensibility compared to its peers on there. I know the market for these cars is limited and the people buying them seem to prefer to buy the cheapest rather than the best, then spend 2-3 times the difference modding it themselves, but what do you all think it's worth ?
Old 09 September 2006, 01:56 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Can I also add that aside from price, your attitude is wrong.

Don't mean that in an offensive way, but do you really want to sell it?

REALLY?????????

It comes over in your posts time and time again that you don't

(We all know you've had to 'look' as though you wanted to sell it to keep on the good side of H, but then we all know how much it'd hurt to let it go )
Old 09 September 2006, 02:35 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My attitude to everything is wrong, but it's hard changing the habits of a lifetime
Old 09 September 2006, 02:40 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

See, I just knew you'd take it the wrong way
Old 09 September 2006, 02:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It would be offensive if I didn't agree with you, but I am only too aware that this is one of my major shortcomings. If anything pi$$es me off, I throw it right back doubled. I need to learn to be calmer

You'd think by now I'd learn not to post too much when I wake up in a bad mood

Last edited by corradoboy; 09 September 2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09 September 2006, 12:24 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Agree pretty much with whats posted above Dave. As you know I'm a big admirer of your car and my flexible friend has only just returned to it's "flexibility" thanks to our meeting. Like the mrs says........."this corradoboy has a lot to answer for".

I rushed in to buying Steve's car a little as I was still running my Classic (boy I miss that car). The novelty of owning two Imprezas was a little shortlived but I felt I needed to recoup as much as I could on the old one due to the money I had invested in her. I was fortunate enough to have reasonable finances at the time which made the decision not to panic sell a little easier. When I priced it I felt it was reflective of the condition and by no means the cheapest was certainly one of the best.

I think all in all I received no less than 20 calls..............19 of them slated the price without a single viewing choosing to advise me what they thought it was worth. In the end I stuck to my guns and the guy who buys the car is a 30 something who had been looking for 12 months for the right motor. He concluded if you know what you are looking for the sh*te out there really stands out and as we all know there's plenty of them about. One test drive later and he didn't even haggle on the price and offered me full asking price.

Lucky? I dont think so I just think the right buyers are out there and eventually they do coming knocking at your door.
Old 09 September 2006, 03:31 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

That's what I've been looking for Rob, it would break my heart to split her or let her go for peanuts to some tw@t who'd probably stuff her or ruin her with sh!te mods within a week.

Got a holiday and some fun coming up and will readvertise in places other than enthusiast forums after that. You hope that on these forums you'll attract knowledgeable like-minded people with genuine interest in a quality product, but instead you just get loads of penny-pinching bargain-hunters hoping to cash in on you doing the hard work.