Notices

Scumbag has written off the scoob

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2012, 06:12 PM
scoobygems
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scumbag nearly wrote off the scoob

My poor Wagon is likely to be written off due to some scumbag reversing into the front end of it whilst it was parked up and driving off without leaving any details.

Here's the story.

Went to do a bit of shopping in Cyfartha Retail park in Merthyr. Parked the car up in the car park and went shopping. Came back to the car and there are 2 security iguys stood by the front of my car worried look on thier face. What I seen next made me go into shock I think as the drivers side front of my car was badly damaged.

One of the security guards had witnessed a bright yellow van with a flat bed back and what looked to be metal sides on the flat bed reverse into the front end of my car and speed off without stopping.

I phoned the police and the witness gave them the details of the van and part reg that he got but it cannot be traced. So if anyone near the merthyr area see's a flat bed with metal sides with lots of green paint on the back end make a note of the reg.

I cannot believe that someone can damage to a car and either not realise or just drive off. My pride and joy is worth nothing to the insurance company so it will be a write off if i go through them so now I have the difficult decision of what to do about the car. Repair myself, write it off or brake it for parts.

Last edited by scoobygems; 24 January 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 16 August 2012, 06:15 PM
Tiptoptaf
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Witness did grab the 1st 4 numbers off the plate but the police can`t find it on their system. If you see a van with the reg starting WV05 please let us know.
Old 16 August 2012, 06:21 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

CCTV help ?

Feel for you .. that is disgusting
Old 16 August 2012, 06:30 PM
Tiptoptaf
Scooby Regular

CCTV has been viewed police have been involved but at the moment no leads.
Old 16 August 2012, 06:31 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nooooo!! What a fcking w@nker!! Surely there is CCTV around there!? We need a manhunt! I'd be after blood, sorry to see that guys
Old 16 August 2012, 06:34 PM
duckdo
Scooby Regular

Gutted for u both hope u find the scum thats done it
Old 16 August 2012, 06:37 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

im really sorry to see this
Old 16 August 2012, 06:44 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a nightmare.... I'd be tempted to have a go at fixing that without insurance, if it is just bodywork and nothing structural it may not be as complex as it first looks. That rusty beam is the bumper beam it's spot welded on the chassis and is available new as may rust to bits, I'll find a thread of mine from Danny's front mount which will give you an idea of what's under there. The front bumber at a glance looks repairable, not sure of the corner of the bonnet but the wing is bolt on. The only thing that is not easy to say about is the mounting point for the light. Rather than being hit by insurance if you can't track the other driver down its got to be worth a look.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 16 August 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 16 August 2012, 06:49 PM
Tiptoptaf
Scooby Regular

Cheers All, we are looking at the prices for the parts as we have had the car checked over and it is fine mechanically.

So we will see what we can sort out and see what sort of cost the work and parts will cost. we will have to make a decision soon as we boh need a car for work on monday.
Old 16 August 2012, 06:52 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Gutted. Repair it yourself thats easy, if the van can not be traced & they didn't stop, the chances are they don't have insurance anyway.
I have a bumper support bar, front bumper, clear sidelights if you are interested? Then you'd just need a wing and some paint.
Old 16 August 2012, 06:53 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's chris's

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...r-wry-rcy.html
Old 16 August 2012, 06:55 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Gutted for you both, though like Si said, i'd be tempted to repair, most of the parts are only bolted on and you can come across parts quite cheap.

Hope you find the beggers and ..................
Old 16 August 2012, 07:02 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Absolutely feel for you mate we all know what it's like to see the slightest of scratches but that is just pure ignorance, I hope someone catches up with them.
Good luck whatever decision you come to.
Old 16 August 2012, 07:22 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

I know of a facelift bonnet going
Old 16 August 2012, 07:59 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate!

Go & have a chat with the local neighbourhood Policing team & PCSO's, they may know the vehicle if it's local.

I'm just sorting the wife's JCW Mini out after a fail to stop, a couple of weeks ago! Whats the matter with people!!
Old 16 August 2012, 08:06 PM
scoobygems
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
Nooooo!! What a fcking w@nker!! Surely there is CCTV around there!? We need a manhunt! I'd be after blood, sorry to see that guys
I managed to park my car just out of sight of the CCTV, If my car was a foot more forward they would have got it hitting my car but sods law I parked just out of view. Both me and Dave are spreading the word as far as we can to try and get a lead on who owns this van, Police can't really do much more due to lack of numberplate or CCTV

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
What a nightmare.... I'd be tempted to have a go at fixing that without insurance, if it is just bodywork and nothing structural it may not be as complex as it first looks. That rusty beam is the bumper beam it's spot welded on the chassis and is available new as may rust to bits, I'll find a thread of mine from Danny's front mount which will give you an idea of what's under there. The front bumber at a glance looks repairable, not sure of the corner of the bonnet but the wing is bolt on. The only thing that is not easy to say about is the mounting point for the light. Rather than being hit by insurance if you can't track the other driver down its got to be worth a look.
Looks like i'm going to have to try and fix it outside of the insurance as don't think its worth risking losing my no claims plus having the extra hike in insurance next year for something that was not my fault.

The options we have come up with is to get the parts second hand and find someone to fit and spray or to buy a donor car and take the best of both to make a better scoob. My worry is with the first signs of rust appearing on the rear arch is to spend a lot of money getting it back together to only have to break it or scap it in a year or so. The more drastic option is to break the wagon and buy another scoob. This is the last option but sadly it could be the only option.

A local mechanic who looked over the car for me this afternoon said that the bumper bar had pushed onto the frame behind it and this was also slightly bent but would pull out. The clips that hold the headlight in are all damaged (headlight was being held in by the bonnet pushing down on it), front gill is lose with clips damaged on the drivers side and the clips on the one side of the bumper are all damaged. The arch liner is also damaged. They managed to take off the side light snapping off the bulb holder and bulb and all the clips. Not sure what else is damaged as i'm scared to look at the moment as the list keeps on building

Last edited by scoobygems; 16 August 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 16 August 2012, 08:06 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

gutting fella,im local and i travel a lot local,will keep eyes peeled for you...put all u know about offending vehicle up
Old 16 August 2012, 08:13 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Bestards
Old 16 August 2012, 08:39 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Blinking flip, there really are some right scumbags around.

Without wanting to generalise I'd say that there's a fair chance it might be someone from the 'travelling community'.

I'll certainly keep an eye out for you.
Old 16 August 2012, 08:49 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

f@cking w@nkers sorry to see that fella hope you catch up with them. not much of a consolation but looks like a fairly easy fix to do yourself.
Old 16 August 2012, 09:24 PM
GIBZY
Scooby Regular

As i am living in Merthyr I will be keeping a very keen eye out and doing the usual sleuthing / detective work for you...

F*cking scum,

Gutted dave
Old 16 August 2012, 09:32 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Any other companies near to the location have CCTV, which could have caught the index as it drove by?
Old 16 August 2012, 09:44 PM
Craigemaim
Scooby Regular

Will keep an eye out when on my travels!!!
Old 16 August 2012, 10:29 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave, Gem,

This is awful and just reflects the sort of scum that passes as human out there. My Scoob has the front stripped off and your more than welcome to have a look at what's what. From the pictures I agree with SSS in that most look's cosmetic.

That does not make it easier but could be a real bonus.
I know Big Daz had wings in the correct colour for his new car and they are easy to fit. If you want you can borrow my bumper bar, lights, side lights and wheel arch liner ( and clips etc) to keep you going for work. It might look naff but I do have some excellent masking tape in a nice shade of "military green" to blend it in a bit.

Your more than welcome to pop down after work tomorrow or after the Rally Day and get them. You have my mobile number, so just call. Sadly they won't fit in the Eunos, so can't bring them up.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 16 August 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 16 August 2012, 10:34 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IggyRB320
Any other companies near to the location have CCTV, which could have caught the index as it drove by?
What about the KFC on the exit from the retail park, perhaps worth asking them?
Old 16 August 2012, 10:36 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Thats shocking, I hope they catch persons responsible, they have no right to get away with that.

Old 16 August 2012, 10:57 PM
legacy82
Scooby Regular

gutting,most probably pikeys in a tipper!!,think i`ve seen it on my rounds in the works van as i cover the south wales area so if i see it about will take note of the registration for you both.

josh
Old 17 August 2012, 07:54 AM
Tiptoptaf
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the support going to take the car to a garage that has done a bit of work on a few of my cars and get him to look it over and see if we can get all the parts what sort of cost it would be to get it sorted as the bonnett and other bits will need re-aligning.
Old 17 August 2012, 08:49 AM
Skaven
Scooby Regular

gutting hope you guys get it sorted , the gf lives in merthyr so ill keep an eye out and ill spread the word
Old 17 August 2012, 09:51 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

What is it with green cars? My mica green Turbo of similar age got written off a few years back when hit by a white van. I'm sure there's some research out there that green cars are not registered by the eyes/brain as much as other colours and are therefore involved in more collisions than other colour vehicles.
What a nightmare that you cannot claim off a third party.

In the long run, repairing yourself may be the most cost effective way. Otherwise take the insurance money and buy back vehicle for 10% of the value from insurers and use claimed money to repair??

Quick Reply: Scumbag has written off the scoob