Notices

Anyone local fitted BC Racing Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2012, 02:35 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone local fitted BC Racing Coilovers?

As in the title really. I have the normal knock from the rear struts and its starting to drive me mad!

The way I see it I have 3 options:

One, I could go with KYB replacements which would be around £230 for the rears plus fitting but then the back would be fresh and new and the front would be showing 50k and the balance would probably be off wouldn't it??

Two, replace all 4 shocks with KYB at around £460 plus fitting.

Or three, replace with BC Racing Coilovers which I have found for £650 so far which is quite reasonable. Downside is they could be a hard ride but I already have Eibach pro-springs so how much harder can it be? Spring rates would be 6/5 front/rear.

Give me some advice lads! I don't really want to throw money at the car right now but its a problem I have lived with long enough!!

Thanks,

Ian
Old 27 July 2012, 03:07 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ian both Ty and myself have BC's fitted, I'm running the softer spring rate in mine and Ty possibly is as well and I find them perfect. Mine were already fitted but not set up well so Andy at Ace reset mine, I had got the adjustment sorted for settings but Andy dropped the front and did the alignment. Tyron will be along to let you know where he had his fitted to shortly I imagine.

Is the group buy still active on here? There has been one running for ages now it's where mine originally came from.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 27 July 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 27 July 2012, 03:22 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Cheers Si, I am glad there is someone on here I know that has them, it always helps when you are listening to advice. The group buy is over but I have found a set for £650 delivered so not too bad in terms of cost. Am I right in thinking you have the 5/4 spring rate then? I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to coilovers so I am unsure what I am looking for.

Given the choice, which of the options would you go for as the standard set up I have with the Eibach pro springs works well for me?

Just to add, I have now come across a set of Tein basic coilovers for £660 delivered. They use standard top mounts and are only height adjustable though with 5/4 spring rate so I don't know if they are really any better?? I just know the Tein name well, this is driving me as mad as the knocking noise....................

Last edited by evil.soup; 27 July 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: edit
Old 27 July 2012, 04:17 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was you mate, I'd splash the extra on a set of KW Varient 1s, fantastic Coilovers, slightly harder that OEM ride but without being bone crunching! They are £900 a set, I had them on my Blob, fitted them, tracking was spot on, no need for adjustment in the 3 and a half years they were on before I sold the car and they've not been adjusted or had any problems since!

Good old German engineering I've heard of BCs having to be replaced after 12months for leaking etc!
Old 27 July 2012, 04:48 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I'm not sure off hand I'll have to check about the spring rates I'll dig the paperwork out later, but I know mine are the softer one and more road than track orientated. Personally I would only buy the ones that I could adjust, I see no point in getting coilovers fitted that I could not adjust the soft/hard settings on if I was to be honest with you and that would be a waste, that takes you back to getting KYB with a spring you know. Mine have 32 click settings - to +

I was never into budget coilovers as I always thought they would be harsh and uncomfortable but knowing what I know now if I still had the classic these would be on there in a flash. Your running WRX shocks there from memory.... Awkward Ian as whatever goes on you have to have wheel alignment so if you can find a second hand set of shocks for now you have to pay for fitting and alignment, if you was happy with that you could do second hand Sti struts or new KYB ones which are a damn good strut as well.

You need to come to the next meet and have a ride in mine and see what you think?
Ty will be along in a minute no doubt

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 27 July 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 27 July 2012, 05:07 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`ve got BC`s on mine for nearly 2 years with the 5/4 spring rate and I love `em
Old 27 July 2012, 06:11 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

The guy who had my EVO before me had BC's on it and didn't have much good to say about them, after having several struts replaced due to faults he eventually removed them and fitted Nitron coilovers instead (there not cheap mind bout £1600 i think).

Not sure if it was him just being very fussy for if the genuinely weren't much good.

I had Tein Super Streets on my classic and found them good, the EDFC was nice to adjust the damping on the move, never had any problems with them but then I didn't do much mileage on them before selling the car.

Last edited by turboDean; 27 July 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 27 July 2012, 06:17 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Ty had his fitted by Ryan aka prodrive rules aka Ty's NEW biach.
Old 27 July 2012, 06:24 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Jarvis
Old 27 July 2012, 06:26 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Ty's gonna be funding Ryan's kid's education to be fair
Old 27 July 2012, 06:33 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mervil
And the grandchildren
Old 27 July 2012, 06:50 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
And the grandchildren
No, he's saving the cash for the kids at Advanced Automotives
Old 27 July 2012, 09:14 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Cheers for the advice so far gents, its very helpful. I have spoken to a guy at scoobyworld and allthought the tein basic system are more expensive he would go with the BC coilovers. They seem to get mixed reviews but overall things seek positive. more than anything i need to decide if coilovers are wprth tje expense or i would be better off with a simple KYB rear replacement. my main concern is the front will need doing next and i may regret not getting thewhole lot done. I only cover 4-5k a year so a hard ride isnt the issue really its more about getting it done right now to avoid doing it in the future. I would love to spend a few extra quid on a better set but i am at the top of my budget so its not really an option.
Old 27 July 2012, 11:02 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Ian, I would recommend a set of BC coilovers as they are a great piece of kit - as Simon has said go for the softer spring rate.

These coilovers are just as good if not better than sets costing a lot more, when I first had my Spec C it had Apex (re-branded BC's) coilovers but they were the early version, the ride was shockingly bad and they were cheap for a reason.

I think they listened to all the complaints and the lastest version has better damping, OE type rubber top mounts so you don't get any metallic rebound noise and revised fluid sealing for the strut tops as the Apex coilovers leaked from there as it seemed to be a common fault.

I would recommend buying a set of longer rear adjustment stalks at the same time.
Old 27 July 2012, 11:07 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Black-Hawk
Ty had his fitted by Ryan aka prodrive rules aka Ty's NEW biach.
Jealousy young man, jealousy.

No, he's saving the cash for the kids at Advanced Automotives
I have no problem paying someone for doing a good job, but the big spend at Advanced Automotives was out of necessity more than anything else.

But when they are nice people to deal with it makes the painful process a lot easier, but I always get a good deal from Cath and Nick.
Old 28 July 2012, 05:21 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Cheers for the advice so far gents, its very helpful. I have spoken to a guy at scoobyworld and allthought the tein basic system are more expensive he would go with the BC coilovers. They seem to get mixed reviews but overall things seek positive. more than anything i need to decide if coilovers are wprth tje expense or i would be better off with a simple KYB rear replacement. my main concern is the front will need doing next and i may regret not getting thewhole lot done. I only cover 4-5k a year so a hard ride isnt the issue really its more about getting it done right now to avoid doing it in the future. I would love to spend a few extra quid on a better set but i am at the top of my budget so its not really an option.

Why not try the KYB adjustables with your current springs?

I have them with the P1 Eibach Red Prodrive springs and they are bloody fab. Best of both worlds, wind them down for some quick stuff and a 1 minute job to adjust them out for soft everyday stuff.

Better bet than cheaper coilovers.
Old 28 July 2012, 05:41 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Don`t KYB make the STI suspension which isn`t exactly known for quality though????
Old 28 July 2012, 05:52 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Don`t KYB make the STI suspension which isn`t exactly known for quality though????
I have used it for quite sometime and had no problems. The OE stuff is easily fixed by fitting a grease nipple and all the problems go away.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...-pictures.html

The KYB adjustables are not inverted and don't suffer the same probs.
Old 28 July 2012, 06:06 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
I have used it for quite sometime and had no problems. The OE stuff is easily fixed by fitting a grease nipple and all the problems go away.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...-pictures.html

The KYB adjustables are not inverted and don't suffer the same probs.
Old 28 July 2012, 08:01 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Wasn't it the STi rear struts that suffered from the dreaded knock far more than the struts that were fitted to the WRX?

I know that the struts do fail on the WRX but they are not the same type of inverted struts as they are on an STi? I might be wrong but the failures aren't as prevelant as they are on the STi struts which do fail at an alarming rate on the 2005+ STi's.

I would still go for the BC coilovers myself, I was the biggest sceptic at one time but they really are a nicely engineered piece of kit. Especially if you go for the softer spring rate with the OE rubber top mounts (which I believe are standard now anyway) you will wonder why you didn't make the change sooner.

They may be 'cheap' as some have said, but you can get coilover sets for under £400 which really are rubbish - when you see me next I will let you drive my car and you have then make your own mind up on them.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 28 July 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 28 July 2012, 09:34 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Thanks for all the advice, its good to hear that the BC's are not a bad set up. Ian, i have looked into fitting KYB all round and using the current eibach springs but it works out to be a simular price to the BC's and i am still not convinced that any of the KYB products are up to it long term having read so many negative stories about them. Thanks for the offer of a drive in yours Ty, will take you up on that if i can but i need the job done and dusted by 23rd because i have a 1000 mile french trip planned.

Out of curiosity Ty, what set up did you have on your hawkeye wrx? Wasnt it the same or simular to mine, eibach springs, fast road geometry? If it was how did it compare to the current BC set up you have in terms of feel etc?
Old 28 July 2012, 10:14 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Ian, I would say that the setup I have now is a lot better but it wouldn't really be a far comparison between a Hawkeye WRX and a Blobeye Spec C as so much else is different.

I had the Prodrive springs fitted to the standard struts along with a Whiteline rear anti roll bar plus rear drop links and the Prodrive geometry setup as well.

Don't get me wrong the setup I had on the Hawkeye WRX was very good but at that point I had nothing else to compare it to, from there the change to the S202 with the pink STi suspension goodies was like night and day.

I think Indigo GT can offer you a good fitted price including the geometry on the BC coilovers as you can get it all sorted at the one supplier.
Old 28 July 2012, 10:16 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Sorry but my car is away for improvements at the moment and though it will be back before Rallyday it may not leave you enough time to get a drive and then get your car booked in, you are more than welcome to try it at Magor etc.
Old 28 July 2012, 10:23 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

All this talk about me
Old 29 July 2012, 12:09 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Were you ears burning Ry
Old 29 July 2012, 12:10 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Were you ears burning Ry
On fooking fire more like!
Old 29 July 2012, 09:53 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

I have spoken to indigo and they can do the whole fitting and set up for £180 which sounds reasonable since it includes 4 wheel alignment and geometry. i see where you are coming from with the comparison but as long as its as good as the current set up i have then i will be happy as the car handles really well.

At the moment i am leaning towards BC's i think and if i go the whole hog i can sell on my eibach springs so make a little back at the same time. i am still open to other ideas/opinions though if anyone has any.
Old 29 July 2012, 12:51 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Talk to "amego" I see he is having knocking problems as well... Maybe discount for 2 sets you just need to convince him he needs them
Old 29 July 2012, 07:44 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

I know another member on here with the same problem to so it could be an idea. i will ask the question!
Old 30 July 2012, 11:22 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Well I have made a couple of calls so far and if I can get 5 sets purchased I can get them for around £620 delivered which seems pretty good, its just a matter of convincing 4 others that they need them in their lives!!

Quick Reply: Anyone local fitted BC Racing Coilovers?