Notices

Officially a Subaru owner

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2011, 09:24 PM
Bryanh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Officially a Subaru owner - what shall I do?

Picked her up on Sat morning nice black 05 wrx 225 - totally standard (which is rare I guess???) anyways, very happy....now bring on the mods!!

Shall I rip the whole airbox out and be done with an induction kit or shall I replace the air filter and leave all the gubbins (like off wheeler dealers the other night??) what should I do? Plus what zorst should I get and will I have to have the car remapped becuause of the changes? They had to do that with the wrx off of wheeler dealers

Your valuable input is greatly needed

Cheers.

Last edited by Bryanh; 31 January 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 31 January 2011, 09:41 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Leave the standard air box as is but change the filter for an STi, Cosworth, Green Hybrid or K&N item. Junk the standard exhaust and for a good quality system such as Milltek (Indigo GT are local agents), Hayward and Scott or RCM.

Uprate the fuel pump for a Walbro 255lph, and a remap should see around 280bhp and a similar amount of torque.

My choice of mapper would be Bob Rawle, but there are plenty of good mappers out there.

Easy peasy and around £1600 has disappeared and then there's the brakes and suspension to do next...

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 31 January 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 31 January 2011, 09:54 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeepers, by post no 2 it's gone from standard to 280 bhp
Old 31 January 2011, 10:00 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KJD Mk1
Jeepers, by post no 2 it's gone from standard to 280 bhp
And he didnt even try to sell him anything
Welcome mate, try and pop along to the next meet
Old 31 January 2011, 10:28 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

At this point it makes you wonder how much commission he is getting off Bob.

Welcome to the mad house. As you can see we LOVE spending other peoples hard earned.
Get some pics of the car up..

Dylan.

Last edited by DYL 4N; 01 February 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 31 January 2011, 10:38 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
At this point it makes you wonder how much comition he is getting off Bob.

Welcome to the mad house. As you can see we LOVE spending other peoples hard earned.
Get some pics of the car up..

Dylan.
No comment.

(I wish I was on commission after the Group Buy I organised)
Old 31 January 2011, 11:38 PM
PETER R
Scooby Regular

then get it detailed , it will slip through the air much better
Old 01 February 2011, 06:42 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to say no, no engine mods first.... Chill there a minute. Look first at brakes and suspension, look into fitting different springs along with updated whiteline drop links front and back and anti roll bar on the rear. Look at updated pads for now to make a huge improvement then finish this off with a 4 wheel alignment. This will then make the car safer and handle so much better first. Then study up on engine and do it correct the first time.

Welcome to the forum there !!! Watch out for people trying to spend you money lol
Old 01 February 2011, 09:49 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
I'm going to say no, no engine mods first.... Chill there a minute. Look first at brakes and suspension, look into fitting different springs along with updated whiteline drop links front and back and anti roll bar on the rear. Look at updated pads for now to make a huge improvement then finish this off with a 4 wheel alignment. This will then make the car safer and handle so much better first. Then study up on engine and do it correct the first time.

Welcome to the forum there !!! Watch out for people trying to spend you money lol
Ditto what he said.

Dot 5.1 brake fluid, better pads and discs (www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk), new ARB's/links and then shocks, personally not a fan of coilovers.

No point in going fast until you can go round corners and stop.

The standard airbox is good for over 400bhp with a good filter, unless a bit of "whoosh" is what you want.

Buy a good quality exhaust, but be prepared to be skull fecked with choice of design, noise and finish. De-cat is an option too.

Then start on the extra grunt, bigger top mount, fuel pump upgrade, re-map and filters. Then you'll want wheels, better ICE, STi interior, STi spoiler, a detail, limo tints, gauges, flaps, front lip and the list goes on.

And on.

And on.

Old 01 February 2011, 10:26 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With exhaust you need to consider what volume your after, best thing by far is to check a couple of meets out have a listen see what you think, everyone here must be on at least their 3rd system lol
Old 01 February 2011, 12:03 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the fold As said above,hold off on the engine mods till you see how much fuel your using Suspension and brakes would be my first stop At the end of the day power is nothing without handling and braking to control it
Old 01 February 2011, 08:10 PM
Bryanh
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, theres a lot to consider. Not really looking for too much power just the noise, I love the noise so much from the zorst, though when watching wheeler dealers the other night they uprated the air filter and zorst, they then had to have it remapped cos they lost over 25bhp, but gained it back and a little more after the remap.

I dont want stupid bhp, I had that with the evo and it drank fuel like sqaush

I just want the burble but dont want to lose power

I'm a fussy git I know!!!!!
Old 01 February 2011, 08:56 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryanh
Thanks guys, theres a lot to consider. Not really looking for too much power just the noise, I love the noise so much from the zorst, though when watching wheeler dealers the other night they uprated the air filter and zorst, they then had to have it remapped cos they lost over 25bhp, but gained it back and a little more after the remap.

I dont want stupid bhp, I had that with the evo and it drank fuel like sqaush

I just want the burble but dont want to lose power

I'm a fussy git I know!!!!!
When i first had mine i was in the same boat as you and didnt really plan for power mods, although the bug got me in the end!!

If you replace the system from the cat back and just replace the air filter you shouldnt need a re-map or new fuel pump and that will give you the noise you are after. My first system was a cheap Magnex system and it looked and sounded good. I replaced that with a Prospeed custom system which i then swapped out for a full 3" Prospeed system from the turbo back. It made a hell of a difference to the power delivery but it needed a re-map and fuel pump to ensure it was running safely, i also had it built a little louder than the previous 2. Before the full system i replaced the springs, got the geometry done and upgraded to brembo's all round and it really did make for a quicker car even before the power upgrade.
I am sure you will do the lot over time, its just a matter of what you are after first!

Happy spending and welcome aboard