Notices

Standard WRX Brake Upgrade Options

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2009, 12:53 AM
stevewales
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard WRX Brake Upgrade Options

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a good brake upgrade from the standard WRX brakes. i have a 2002 bug eye and dont find them as good as my golf GTI brakes!! i thought subaru would be way ahead.
looking for spend £300, seen some nice brembo brakes from JDM J12 STI on ebay at the moment but im guessing these will go for a large wod of cash!?

any experiences/tips guys?

cheers
Old 18 July 2009, 01:11 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The brakes on VAG cars are often over-servo'd, reacting harshly to light pedal actions. I've always found Subaru brakes to work progressively and strongly, allowing good control. Coming out of a car with keen brakes they can feel as though they aren't working as well as they maybe should, but it is a misconception. My missuse has a Skoda Octavia, and a misdirected fart down the trouser leg can slam the brakes on they're that sensitive.

The 4-pots and standard discs on a WRX are perfectly adequate for road use, and even occasional track running IMHO. OE pads leave a bit to be desired, and brands such as Pagid (RS4.2.1), Ferodo (DSPF (were DS2000) or DS2500), Mintex (1144 or 1155) and especially Performance Friction improve things noticeably. Pedal feel improves slightly by fitting braided (stainless ideally) lines, and better fluid such as DOT5.1 will combine to reduce potential fade in extreme driving situations.

The best mod though is to improve your driving, in particular your control of the weight balance of the car, anticipation of other road users and hazard perception to minimise brake use as much as possible. A good high-speed road driver (such as Police pursuit drivers) should be able to tramp along at considerable speeds and not need to use the brakes. There is a belief amongst professional road drivers that apart from controlling a total stop, you only need use the brakes when you have failed to assess the road and traffic well enough.

I tried a few brands in my WRX PPP over several years, with nothing much between the big known makes except differences in noise and dust, and all lasting IRO 12k miles. EBC's were the worst for wear at under 6k, but after several performance driving courses and lots of practise, my final set of pads (Mintex 1144) weren't even half worn after 20k+ when I ultimately sold the car. In 3 years and nearly 60k miles, I never once, even on track experienced brake fade, and I don't hang about on the road !

Last edited by corradoboy; 18 July 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 18 July 2009, 07:14 AM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

you can get a set of brembo fronts with disks and pads for a good price now around 400 plus
but you could also try getting a good set of grooved disks and pads first and maybe a set of goodridge braided pipes for better pedal feel first

im sure but godspeed brakes in bridgend might even do a bigger disk upgrade for the original subaru 4 pot but im sure someone can tell you for sure

even changing the fluid to a good 5.1 like ap racing etc will make a difference

hope this helps
Old 18 July 2009, 09:49 AM
stevewales
Scooby Regular

WOOW, thanks for the details replys chaps. I wish i had foud this forum a few months ago when i changed the brake fluid and i made sure the mechanic used the recommended fluid in the book because i was paranoid!
Can you suggest some good groved disks and i will go for minex pads with some new hoses and dot 5.1 as suggested
Old 18 July 2009, 09:54 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevewales
WOOW, thanks for the details replys chaps. I wish i had foud this forum a few months ago when i changed the brake fluid and i made sure the mechanic used the recommended fluid in the book because i was paranoid!
Can you suggest some good groved disks and i will go for minex pads with some new hoses and dot 5.1 as suggested
I can recommend DBA 4000 wiperslots. Not cheap, but well worth it
Old 18 July 2009, 10:32 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Talking

I sold my standard newage 4 pots to DYL4N and he fitted Mintex 1144 or 1156 brake pads (I think) to them and they are excellent according to DYL4N, these would be a good upgrade along with dot 5.1 racing brake fluid, braided hoses and grooved and/or cross drilled disks if you are going to change them anyway.

And if they are going well for DYL4N with his 'keen' driving then I would imagine that they are good enough for anyone.

TBH I think the brake pad compound makes more of a difference than the difference between WRX and STi calipers. ( I will wait for the numerous responses shouting me down )
Old 18 July 2009, 11:21 AM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a good brake upgrade from the standard WRX brakes. i have a 2002 bug eye and dont find them as good as my golf GTI brakes!! i thought subaru would be way ahead.
looking for spend £300, seen some nice brembo brakes from JDM J12 STI on ebay at the moment but im guessing these will go for a large wod of cash!?

any experiences/tips guys?

cheers

Have you noticed the group buy on this regions pages, for disks and pads ? a good offer ! I was looking into this a short time ago and I think I did see a bigger disk/pad conversion on Godspeeds site - they looked good and not too expensive it I rememebr correctly....
Old 18 July 2009, 11:34 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

We have lots of options available and some great deals on.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-friction.html

Just drop me a line either via PM or aztecperformance@gmail.com with your requirements.
Old 18 July 2009, 11:40 AM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

i use to have black diamond combi disks front and back with black diamond preditor pads and they were good fluid i use ap racing 5.1 and goodrige braided hose kit all can be bought from demon tweeks
but give godspeed a ring as he dose some great stuff for subaru's and knows everything and anything about brakes
Old 18 July 2009, 02:19 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

loads of options, I've tried nearly all of them.

Red dot discs with black diamond pads was better than OEM

Gold brembo's with mintex 1155 was an awesum set up for fast road, but the pads did squeal alot. we're good on track also

Ran K sport 8 Pots with EBC yellow stuff on my old blue one and these were very good on both road and track. The standard k sport pads were rubbish if not bordering on leathel, brake fade after 10 minutes of fast road driving

Now have the scoobyclinic 6 pots with DS2500 on my type r and find these very good also. zero fade and very responsive

I have a set of the powerstation porsche 6 pots with 355mm disc sat at home but these may be up for sale soon as don't want to go for 18" wheels as I love the 17" WORK's wheel to much
Old 18 July 2009, 11:56 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

i had kevlar pads and grooved discs from godspeed on my subaru four pots and imo were very good. did'nt really notice much difference when i changed to brembos which was a bit of a disappointment, hoping that will change when i change the oe pads.
Old 19 July 2009, 08:18 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am running a group buy on grooved discs and uprated pads, either EBC Yellowstuff or the Mintex M1144 pads that Dannyboy used on his.
As an upgrade on the WRX it will set you back £255 delivered, possibly less with the Mintex pads, just waiting on price.
I know they do hoses, fluid etc as package deals so if you like i can ask about getting this discounted for you too, just let me know

Here is the link: https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/7...tuff-pads.html

Dannyboy, given the choice, which would you use first, EBC Yellowstuff or the Mintex M1144 pads?? Im still undecided?

Ian
Old 19 July 2009, 10:06 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I used the 1155 which are more track focused than the 1144, a very good pad but the squeal really got on my nerves, just stopping round town would result in a massive ear splitting squeal. The 1144 are supposed to be more fast road and don't squeal but i've never used them

I really liked the yellowstuff, theres a lot of bad things said about EBC but the yellowstuff was so much better than the standard K sport and on a close par with the 1155,

It's a tough call but I'd go with the yellowstuff
Old 19 July 2009, 12:01 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

I was going to go down the godspeed route once i've had my money's worth out of my oe set, the wrx 4pot is a good powerfull caliper and the boys who have upgraded to a sti/brembo 4pot will tell you there's not mutch between them, the wrx set up just needs a better pad/lines to improve bite and larger disc to improve bite/reduce fade.
Old 19 July 2009, 11:38 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have only ever used mintex 1144, 1155 and ebc redstuff ceramic as an aftermarket pad

ebc redstuff were the only pads i have ever had fade, its an ar$e twitching experience flying down a B road in the dark and the peddle go's straight to the floor so i will never use them again im now back with the mintex 1155 on the front 1144 on the rear they both squeel a bit but hey all the best rally cars have squeely brakes

i have a friend who rallys a scooby and he rates the black diamond preditor as a good all round pad (now this is a guy who WINS road rallys and preps rally cars so he knows his stuff)

if you dont think the scooby brakes are much good, try planting your foot down (harshly) you'll be supprised as said the brakes are firm but progressive just the way they should be IMO

steve
Old 20 July 2009, 09:21 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Subaru Impreza 335mm Brake Upgrade Kit - Using Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 Pads

Here you go mate.