Notices
Trader Announcements Announcements (including special offers, product/service information) made by Authorised Advertisers

STI 7 onward Knocking rear shocks driving you mad?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2006, 05:18 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 7 onward Knocking rear shocks driving you mad?

As you may or may not be aware the STI 7 onward original equipment rear shockers are prone to failing causing horrible knocking and banging noises coming from the rear of the car. Most Subaru dealers will replace these units under warranty (if you have some left) but they seem to use the same part so as you have probably already guessed in a few months they can fail again! The main problem we have found is that no major manufacturer’s are currently producing an aftermarket replacement for the STI models, this leaves coilovers as the only real replacement option, now coilovers are great but they are not for everyone due to their harder ride etc so we have been hard at work to develop a viable fix for this fault. We have reversed engineered a number of the offending shockers and found the fault!

This is where you come in we would like to ask all scoobynet users with an STI7 onward vehicles and mainly STI 8’s & 9’s who have come across this problem whether or not our fix would be appropriate or applicable for them.

In a nutshell we can recondition your faulty shockers or exchange them for £100 + vat per shock. Opposed to coilovers you will find that £200 for a complete fix does work out to be more cost affective and keeps the normal ride comfort you are used to.

Would this be something you are interested in? We are aware that if your car is under warranty you may not be bothered but if you are now out of warranty you should be!

The reason we say this is if interest is good we will invest money into the tooling and get the modification parts made in bulk thereby enabling us to honour the price.

Looking forward to your responses

Ads & The Scoobyclinic team

(also posted in General & suspension so not to miss anyone )
Old 10 October 2006, 10:01 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Just had mine replaced was out of warranty period but they supplied the parts as it was only 8 months since the last replacement had to pay £130 labour though

If they go again I doubt they will entertain me under warranty again

So I was going for a set of coilovers but now you will be doing this I will be very interested

Good luck guys

Phil
Old 10 October 2006, 10:41 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I've had mine replaced with new modified Subaru parts from Japan, been fine for the last year. Modified top mounts and struts where fitted.

But for those who's warrantee has expired, this would be very useful sevice.

Dipster
Old 10 October 2006, 12:12 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Great news. I'm sure many will be delighted to hear this. Do you want to share what exactly causes the problem with us?

Thanks,

Ian
Old 10 October 2006, 01:09 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Is this the same as the odd settling to be felt/heard at low speed, where the shocker appears to stick as the car pulls off ? - Particularly prevelant when loaded up (e.g. people in the back seats) ?

If so, I've an 02 STI (UK), which I might be interested in sorting....

Mark

Last edited by markwild; 10 October 2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10 October 2006, 01:24 PM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Hi,
just a few points to clarify your questions.

We have had to go down this route as we have not been able to offer our customers a solution for their knocking shocks. A few after market warranties have stood on but only paying for one side.......???? The customer paying for the other, unfair we think, even more so when the units fail again in less than 10 months and the warranty company says go back to Subaru, we have paid once and we are not paying again, only to find all manner of doors closed at the main dealers, Oh its a Maltese import, sorry, Oh we didn’t fit them, take them off, we will take a look if they are faulty we will have to send them back and see what Subaru say, this could take 12 weeks, not a solution, especially they are going to supply the same unit again, it hasn’t exactly got the best track record.

The fault manifests at first as banging / knocking when moving slowly, turning slowly and / or reversing, it eventually gets worse knocking all the time. A temporary cure is to pack in a little more grease, but it doesn’t last long, in fact the grease causes dirt to stick to the leg, some of it getting past the scraper seal and aggravating the problem further.

We have spent a lot of time researching this problem and thank our customers who have been very patient putting up with the noises whilst we came up with a solution.

This thread is aimed at finding out how many people are interested in this fix so we know to go ahead with the tooling involved, if it’s a go then it will take about 12 weeks before we receive the components.

Hope the above answers your queries.
Many thanks
Kev.
Old 10 October 2006, 07:08 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

What sort of 'implementation' is the fix - I guess I'm thinking about :

Is it done at the clinic ?
How long does it take ?
Can it be done Saturdays ?
Does the 200+Vat cover parts(assuming there are any), or labour too ?
Is it a modification of the cars existing parts, or new bits ?

Thinking about 'car off the road time' etc....

Cheers,

Mark
Old 10 October 2006, 10:42 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Wahaay good news Kev
Old 13 October 2006, 06:56 PM
mattireland
Scooby Regular

hi guys, i have the same problem with my sti (06 pre-facelifted version)

i telephoned the dealer and spoke with the service manager

he was pretty honest and said that subaru hadn't a 'full' fix to the problem but had been working on a stop gap

he was talking about the insertion of a rubber nipple to stop the problem in the short term

how does this sound to you the learned bunch
Old 31 January 2007, 11:24 PM
BeeSTi
Scooby Regular

Location: Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out

Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Hi,
just a few points to clarify your questions.

We have had to go down this route as we have not been able to offer our customers a solution for their knocking shocks. A few after market warranties have stood on but only paying for one side.......???? The customer paying for the other, unfair we think, even more so when the units fail again in less than 10 months and the warranty company says go back to Subaru, we have paid once and we are not paying again, only to find all manner of doors closed at the main dealers, Oh its a Maltese import, sorry, Oh we didn’t fit them, take them off, we will take a look if they are faulty we will have to send them back and see what Subaru say, this could take 12 weeks, not a solution, especially they are going to supply the same unit again, it hasn’t exactly got the best track record.

The fault manifests at first as banging / knocking when moving slowly, turning slowly and / or reversing, it eventually gets worse knocking all the time. A temporary cure is to pack in a little more grease, but it doesn’t last long, in fact the grease causes dirt to stick to the leg, some of it getting past the scraper seal and aggravating the problem further.

We have spent a lot of time researching this problem and thank our customers who have been very patient putting up with the noises whilst we came up with a solution.

This thread is aimed at finding out how many people are interested in this fix so we know to go ahead with the tooling involved, if it’s a go then it will take about 12 weeks before we receive the components.

Hope the above answers your queries.
Many thanks
Kev.
I would be interested Kev mine has just started on my 06 JDM sti. don't know how I stand warranty wise being a personal import?
I am also looking into the AST`s if I can`t find a fix or a warranty claim.
Old 21 February 2007, 10:23 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

We are pleased to announce that our rear shocker fix is now ready to go, we have produced all the tooling and parts ready to put and end to that nasty knocking! we have tried this fix on a number of units and are very happy with the results!

Anyone wishing to exchange thier faulty units please give us a call 01246 590807

£100 +vat per Shock,exchange + P&P (a lot cheaper than coilovers!)

cheers
Old 21 February 2007, 08:08 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Great News

Even better news mine aren't knocking yet