Notices

Hawkeye WRX rear suspension knock questions...please

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2013, 07:44 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hawkeye WRX rear suspension knock questions...please

Hello - I've just spent the last hour searching and googling this issue but haven't managed to find the answers to the questions I have and am hoping those in the know on here can help....please.

I'm pretty certain that I've got the dreaded knock issue on my 2005 WRX Hawkeye (42k miles). Slow speed "clonking" from the boot area - more obvious with a tank full of petrol and on uneven roads. Will do the wobble/wiggle test at some point this week.

I can get hold of the Sachs dampers for around £140 each over here in Froggy land which seem to be just as good as the KYB replacements.

Couple of questions for those in the know:
1. Does replacing the dampers solve this problem or will it come back?
2. Do I need to redo the geometry once I've changed the dampers?
3. Is it a simple swap out/in job or is there much more involved?

Many thanks in advance
Old 07 January 2013, 07:50 PM
carlstoke63
Scooby Regular

Default Knock

Hi mate why don't you repair them with the grease nip and grease joby there's a link on s/n somewhere how to do it
Old 07 January 2013, 07:56 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

That sounds like an idea - anyone know where the subject with the link is?

Edit: Found these:

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...wageRearStruts

Can't find the thread with a "grease nipple" though ???

Last edited by LVC; 07 January 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07 January 2013, 09:00 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Found the thread with the grease nipple >>>

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...hock-area.html

I'm going to spray some white lithium grease to confirm that it's the damper's "clonking" and then see about repacking the grease etc. (with a nipple) if/when the sound comes back.

Does anyone know if I have to get the geometry redone if removing and then putting back the original shocks?
Old 12 February 2013, 09:38 PM
ByByR1
Scooby Regular

Sounds like i have the same problem, do i need to strip out the suspension units to do the grease nipple job? Thanks
Old 12 February 2013, 11:34 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

I sprayed "White lithium grease" on the two back struts back when I started this post and not heard any knocking since. I plan to take the suspension struts apart and add the grease nipples but happy to wait until Spring and the warmer weather has arrived.

If you've got the same problem ByByR1 I 100% recommend a spray of the grease as it's easy to do and will confirm if you have the knocking dampers problem before you take it all apart. Also at 12€ for two rattle cans of grease and I've only used 1/2 of one can it's not really an expensive temporary solution.
Old 13 February 2013, 07:51 AM
ByByR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
I sprayed "White lithium grease" on the two back struts back when I started this post and not heard any knocking since. I plan to take the suspension struts apart and add the grease nipples but happy to wait until Spring and the warmer weather has arrived.

If you've got the same problem ByByR1 I 100% recommend a spray of the grease as it's easy to do and will confirm if you have the knocking dampers problem before you take it all apart. Also at 12€ for two rattle cans of grease and I've only used 1/2 of one can it's not really an expensive temporary solution.
Thanks for the info, Will try that first.
Old 18 February 2013, 01:43 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Default where to spray...

sorry for hijacking the thread but can you point me in the right direction of exactly where to spray the lithium grease?

is it a case of lifting the boot and spraying the shiny bit or is there a better place to do it?

mine started knocking at the weekend so need to sort it out before too long.

cheers guys
Old 18 February 2013, 02:11 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Yes exactly that.

Jack up the rear of the car (under the rear of the sill at teh jack point with the standard jack) - leave the wheel in place. Lift up the rubber boot (fingers/hand in-between the coils of the spring) and spray front, rear, sides etc. of the shiny tube part of the shock you see. The goal is for the grease to run down into the top of the tube (it will anyway once the car is back on it's wheels as it compresses the shocks).

Lower the car, move the jack away and then bounce on the sill with the rear door open - nothing extreme, just enough for the shock to compress and release and the grease to lubricate where it's supposed to.

It's not necessarily a long term fix but at least will help to identify that the shock's original grease is stuffed and also will stop the knocking for a period of time.

I still plan to take apart, add grease and grease nipples later on but am waiting for the warmer weather for that.
Old 18 February 2013, 02:19 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Default Nice one :)

Cheers LVC - yeah, not what I needed 3 days after buying the car but hey ho - will give the lithium a go tonight and hopefully that will make the noise quieter (and the wife...) for a wee while....

I also reckon the complete strip down and grease nipple is the way forward - so will add that to the to-do list as well.

Thanks again
Old 18 February 2013, 02:31 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

No worries.

It is a real pain that they have this problem. Mine only has 42k miles on it so I know the shocks are not dead just lack of grease - stupid design
Old 18 February 2013, 02:41 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

mine's only done 24k buddy.........the joys

never mind - a wee job for a monday night in the garage beckons
Old 18 February 2013, 02:48 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Crikey that really is crap/early - have fun
Old 18 February 2013, 03:09 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Default :)

will do - did you ever find out if you had to do the geometry alignment once you have been working on the struts, by the way?
Old 18 February 2013, 03:40 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Nope never did get a straight reply on that one - probably worth doing but would still like to know if it's compulsory to do or not
Old 18 February 2013, 11:22 PM
ByByR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
Yes exactly that.

Jack up the rear of the car (under the rear of the sill at teh jack point with the standard jack) - leave the wheel in place. Lift up the rubber boot (fingers/hand in-between the coils of the spring) and spray front, rear, sides etc. of the shiny tube part of the shock you see. The goal is for the grease to run down into the top of the tube (it will anyway once the car is back on it's wheels as it compresses the shocks).

Lower the car, move the jack away and then bounce on the sill with the rear door open - nothing extreme, just enough for the shock to compress and release and the grease to lubricate where it's supposed to.

It's not necessarily a long term fix but at least will help to identify that the shock's original grease is stuffed and also will stop the knocking for a period of time.

I still plan to take apart, add grease and grease nipples later on but am waiting for the warmer weather for that.

Thanks for that, I wasn't overly sure myself where to spray. Will hopefully get it done asap.
Old 19 February 2013, 03:16 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Default 10 minute job :)

I did it last night ByByR1 and it was one of these quick fixes that works - happiness levels back up to 100%

I only managed to get round most of the strut - likely missed a bit at the back, but as long as your grease spray has the hose nozzle then you should be the same.

Good to have a look under the car though when it's up on the jacks - needs a good pressure hose t get rid of the muck - must have been well acquaiunted with farm tracks this one
Old 19 February 2013, 11:12 PM
ByByR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by macroo
I did it last night ByByR1 and it was one of these quick fixes that works - happiness levels back up to 100% :

I only managed to get round most of the strut - likely missed a bit at the back, but as long as your grease spray has the hose nozzle then you should be the same.

Good to have a look under the car though when it's up on the jacks - needs a good pressure hose t get rid of the muck - must have been well acquaiunted with farm tracks this one
Managed to get it done first thing this morning and all is well. Thanks for all the help everyone. A nice easy fix £6 and half an hour and I had done all the four corners.