Notices

GG STi Wagon suspension fettling

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2012, 10:45 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile GG STi Wagon suspension fettling

Last autumn, after nearly two years of looking I finally found a nice new age STi wagon. As I think is normal with a 'new' Scooby it's not really loved 'till you've made it your own

For me and this wagon's case it was a remap that was needed to get me smitten - drove like a pig before, but is fine now and runs 330bhp. Here's a pic

So now I'm on to the next stage, which is a favourite part of my Impreza hobby - suspension fettling

The way things stand:

OE 'red' inverted monotubed dampers and springs
The 'front end' has been modified at some point, and has been fitted with saloon wings and bumper as well as aluminium saloon wishbones, as opposed to the steel ones. These allow more variation of settings including increased amounts of negative camber and damper choice. They also space the wheels out more to 'fill' the arch's, so that's a good start...

For me, a spring and damper fixed perch arrangement is the best road solution for the Impreza, so I'm quite happy there. I don't want to lower the car, I don't want coilovers. I like compliant suspension travel

So what don't I like and what would I like to change for this wagon's handling? For a start the new age Scoob is a lardy lump and there's no hiding it. My Type R spanks the new age drive in its directness and agility, but that's another story.

I fettled a new age 370/360 saloon JDM's suspension a while back, but this wagon has different issues which need a different approach, and while there are going to similarities, I want to do thing a bit different this time too. The JDM saloon, essentially had been over-lowered, the wagon I would like sharpening up. It wallows if you decide to change your line - mid bend 'sawing', which I like to do sometimes, not only unsettles the car, but my nerve too
Old 21 January 2012, 01:15 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure matey,we are done our setup which seems now working well,after today adjusting damping from firm to little bit softer,on roundabout car feels like at home,nothing like we have before with OE Setup(spring and shock combo),plus we are running rear adjustable lateral links with solid droplinks at front and ALK.

We are today tried car with Nitron coilover setup and must say probably best which i've tried,expensive but for quality which offer Nitron is just amazing piece of kit
Have look on this kit its just 2-way with no remote canisters

http://www.nitron.co.uk/Shop/Product...mpreza-gda-gdb

Build quality of this shocks is just impressive,plus nice prices for rebuilding shocks if you are comparing to others

These shocks on mine list,which i would put on my wagon and really i'm looking at 3-way with remote canister,but 2-way have good review,we are tried today with 3-way setup and what i can say,amazing drive,on softest like on OE suspension..

Jura
Old 21 January 2012, 12:23 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jura are they really 2 way adjustable, as in separate compression and rebound adjustment? Or do they adjust both simultaneously?

I'd be curious to see dyno plots of their dampers.
Old 21 January 2012, 12:56 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Jura are they really 2 way adjustable, as in separate compression and rebound adjustment? Or do they adjust both simultaneously?

I'd be curious to see dyno plots of their dampers.
Hi Arnie not sure about this,but here is from Nitron website description

NTR Sport
Developed from the successful Race damper, NTR Sport kits offer superior Nitron performance for the road and track; combining phenomenal value with uncompromised quality.

Sport kits present plush, compliant road holding but maintain the ability to embarrass its competitors on the Track.

Designed to lower the vehicle to its optimum ride height, Sport kits are built with year-round reliability, simple fitment and quick adjustment as standard. Available over a wide range of modern and classic production vehicles.

// 2-way combined damping control
// 38mm and 44mm damper piston
// 14mm and 20mm piston rods
// Camber / Caster adjustable option
// Adjustable spring preload
// Independent adjustable ride height
// No remote canister
// 24 click combined adjustment
// Complete with Nitron springs

My friend running eibach springs and he before run Ohlins /KW and others on his car and he said best ever suspension which he tried and have

Plus 1 year rolling warranty(working like this,if you yearly get them serviced in Nitron,your warranty will be extended 1 year) is big plus for me.

here are 3-way

Jura
Old 21 January 2012, 03:11 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!

Yeah, it seems like they are "one-way" adjustable, at least according to how most people refer to damper adjustment. Most folk refer to a "two way" as having independent compression and rebound adjustment. But its just semantics. Most one way dampers adjust both compression and rebound simultaneously. How much either change is dependent on the valving and the philosophy of the company.

its nice to see a fully UK built setup and I like the camber plate design.

So what is the price range of the "2" way and the "3 way" damper? do you have access to dyno damper plots for subaru dampers from them? Could you post them up?

Actually, maybe you can post all this info in a separate thread so we con't clutter up Bonesetter's wagon thread. Don't want to make his thread into an advertisement for this brand.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 21 January 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 21 January 2012, 03:30 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Nice!

Yeah, it seems like they are "one-way" adjustable, at least according to how most people refer to damper adjustment. Most folk refer to a "two way" as having independent compression and rebound adjustment. But its just semantics. Most one way dampers adjust both compression and rebound simultaneously. How much either change is dependent on the valving and the philosophy of the company.

its nice to see a fully UK built setup and I like the camber plate design.

So what is the price range of the "2" way and the "3 way" damper? do you have access to dyno damper plots for subaru dampers from them? Could you post them up?

Actually, maybe you can post all this info in a separate thread so we con't clutter up Bonesetter's wagon thread. Don't want to make his thread into an advertisement for this brand.

Hi Arnie not sure again about the if they're just one way,but handle really well and really i've tried few of others suspension setups and feels almost like OE setup on soft and on hard is just for racing on those "2-way",3-way is different league like in price and difference on road or track.

Price is for 2-way is from £1100 and for 3-way you are looking at £2500.No dyno plots at moment,but i've ask about them.

Arnie is not the advertisement,i'm not working for this company and i'm not dealer of this maker,some companies entering to threads with advertising own brand and slanting other brand,this is only like to say consideration for his wagon like i would say about the Tokico too which is next things which he can consider too

Jura