Notices

Knocking from rear, replaced struts today and still there!

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2012, 05:40 PM
ian888
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking from rear, replaced struts today and still there!

Hi, i had a clunking noise coming from the rear of my bugeye wrx which has apex 40mm springs and kyb gas struts on it, there was no play in the struts when on a ramp but when driving over a constantly bumpy road (not a large pot hole etc) it does a rapid clunking/knocking noise from both sides, sounds high up, it also happens on a smooth road if going round a slight bend at high speed. After reading various posts i decided to bang on some new kyb gas struts (even though i know the usual fault is with the original inverted greased dampers) and it continues to make the same noise, the top mounts visually appeared to be ok apart from light surface corrosion, any one also had this issue after replacing struts and still clunking?
Any help much appreciated, Ian.
Old 21 January 2012, 05:44 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what about your droplinks and anti rollbar bushes
Old 21 January 2012, 06:02 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

A quick check to see if its roll bar related is to unbolt the drop links from the lateral links. Carefully drive around and see if the noise persists. If there is no noise then you know its ARB related (bushings or droplinks).

Also possible that your rear muffler/silencer is knocking up against the ARB if your hangers are shot.

Check your boot to see if anything is floating around or your boot lid is loose or something?

Were the strut assemblies properly assembled? Its possible that the tophat is not properly seated and is loose.
Old 21 January 2012, 06:02 PM
ian888
Scooby Regular

Sorry i should have said i checked for play when looking at it a couple of weeks ago, the roll bar and links appeared to be quite solid and also the roll bar itself, i suppose this doesnt mean they are not knackered though, i might disconnect them cable tie them out the way and test it just to determine if they are shot or not, cheers for the idea though.