Notices

Clonking noise!

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2002, 12:04 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anybody had problems since fitting Prodrive Prof susp kit?
Very good handling and stability but slight clonking noise over potholes or bends, especially in low speeds (bear in mind our "flat" roads).
By the way the kit doesn't include rubber bits where the springs rest over the shocks and top mounts, is this maybe the reason for the noise? Could I use the same rubber like the rears or what else?
Thanks in advance.
JIM

[Edited by JIM THEO - 4/8/2002 9:58:18 PM]
Old 26 March 2002, 07:36 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

There is no-one to answer my question?
Old 26 March 2002, 10:34 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Question

Is this similar to the incorrectly aligned spring mount problem ?

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=80196
Old 27 March 2002, 04:10 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot mate!
JIM
Old 03 April 2002, 04:55 PM
Scooblitious
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I had a similar clonking noise from the back of my UK300. It turned out to be the cheap wooden spare wheel cover. A 2sq ft free carpet sample from the local carpet shop cured it. Probably the only UK300 with Axminister in the boot
Old 07 April 2002, 07:46 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

PROBLEM NOT SOLVED!
Suspension refitted twice from the mechanics in authorized Subaru services without result (upper spring seats have one hole from the raised side, which is lined up with the lower mounting bracket as you suggest me).
Two points for investigation:
-Rear springs have a rubber bit on the bottom in order to decrease the contact noises between the spring and strut plate – not the fronts!
-Upper spring seat (top hat) has a rubber seat, which IMHO isn’t strong enough to cope with the stronger/wider spring, and OEM top mount seems soft for the stiffer combination.
After a search in previous posts I find out some people to suffer from this problem (andyp, submannz,ric etc)
A friend suggests me to replace the rubber seats (bushes) with Nolathane and the OEM top mounts with STI ver 5-6 items.
Do you know where can I find such Nolathane bushes and if STI top mounts are direct replacements with OEM units for my MY00 Impreza Turbo?
Your help is really appreciated!
JIM

Old 10 April 2002, 11:46 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Smile

JIM, my clonking noise turned out to be a loose 17mm top nut, hence my request for torque settings....which you kindly provided

Pete
Old 11 April 2002, 06:08 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately this isn't my problem, could you tell me please if the above figure seems to you as wrong fitted upper spring seat compared to your suspension (I mean if the spring seat which has a hole from the outer side is wright lined up with the lower mounting bracket)?
JIM

PS:This is what a helpful Nick W. suggest me:
"1.On the top mount, there is a small 'cut out' on the outer rim.
This 'cut out' MUST face towards the outside of the car. If it
doesn't, the top mount will hit the inner wheel arch.

2.There should be a rubber mount between the spring and the top
mount on the front struts (the rear struts also have this fitted on the lower mount). If this rubber mount is not fitted, the springs will not locate properly and knock against the top and bottom mounts.

3.The top mount is not fitted flush with the top of the strut.
It is possible (and quite easy) to fit the top mount on to the strut without locating it properly first. We always recommend using spring compressors rather then fitting the springs manually. With the spring fully compressed, it is possible to see if the top mount is located properly on the top of the strut (please note, that if this is the problem you have been experiencing you may have to gently tap the flange around the hole in the top mount with a hammer, to put it back in it's original position prior to re-fitting them)."
Old 11 April 2002, 10:27 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi JIM !
I've just been outside to double check my front suspension.
Like the picture you posted, my suspension also has the top mount hole lining up with the bottom clamp....so yours looks ok.
The 'small cut out' mentioned in point 1 is facing the outside of my car. Yet this cutout is not that small, being about 1.5 inches long. There is also another cutout (same size) facing the front of my car.
I can certainly feel the rubber mount 'squashed out' between the spring and the top mount.
My setup is standard MY99 turbo dampers with Eibach springs.

Pete