Notices

My99 suspension refresh questions

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2009, 10:33 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile My99 suspension refresh questions

A bit of background to begin with, the car is a MY99 UK Turbo 2000 with 83k miles on the clock. I'm going to replace the suspension struts as i have a leaky one on the back and have already sourced a set of Exe-Tc struts to do that with.

My question is what else is worth doing at the same time whilst i've got it all in bits. Not looking at poly bushing everything as i wont have the patience or time to keep on lubricating all the bushes!

The car currently has:
Whiteline rear ARB
Whiteline Front and rear Drop links
Whiteline ALK

Already have the Exe-Tc struts which i'm going to stick with the OEM top mounts.

My thoughts were maybe the rear subframe lock kit and the roll centre adjustment kit as its going to be a bit lower than before.

Anything else worth while whilst i'm in there?

The car is my daily drive but does get used for fun things at the weekend when i have the time off work, mainly so far a bit of drag racing but i'm hoping to do some sprints towards the end of this year and into next.
Old 05 August 2009, 04:32 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear subframe lock bolts is a very worthwhile (that is its cheap and very effective) mod, the rear feels so much more precise you'll curse the fact you didn't do it first!

Roll centre adjusters are only worth having if your dropping more than an inch and a half IMHO, to an inch drop they definately aren't needed (in fact have a slighly negative effect at stock ride height or just below making the front roll centre 2 high and increasing understeer) and for a 2" drop and below they are a must for decent geometry.

Simon
Old 05 August 2009, 06:25 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

I reckon its dropped some on the standard suspension anyway as its sitting a bit funny compared to most impreza's i've seen. It sits down at the back where as most are flat bordering on a slight forward rake from what i can make out.
Old 05 August 2009, 09:45 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Ok, so the rear subframe lock kit is definatley added to the shopping list.
What are peoples thoughts over the front and rear strut braces?
Really make a difference or just snake oil?
Old 06 August 2009, 05:13 PM
messi
Scooby Regular

I have the same set up as yourself ALK,24mm rear ARB,Wire drop links all round,BC coilovers..i have got a front strut brace..only driven it twice since fitting it..just going throught the set up stage ride heights camber settings etc...trying to make mine into a bit of a track weapon so like your self trying to make worthwhile changes..
Old 06 August 2009, 08:32 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

I think i'm going to have to do the front wheel bearings whilst i'm at it as there has been a droning noise that comes and goes at 35-40mph. It goes instantly if you turn the steering wheel or touch the brakes.

Hi Messi, yes ive got the old wire drop links as well, cant remember of the top of my head what thickness the rear arb is but 24mm sounds about right, its the adjustable one.

I was lucky enough to drive Graham (911) V3 Sti once and it felt great, just like a big very powerful Kart. That was set up for a bumpy hill climb and it felt really good to drive on a little sprint track. Hopefully i can get somewhere towards that sort of feeling.
Old 09 August 2009, 09:40 AM
messi
Scooby Regular

I've been looking into the rear subframe lock kit and a front ARB then a geometry setup..most of the suspension components i would of changed by this time so hopefully i can drive it and get some feel for what i've got..
Old 09 August 2009, 10:06 AM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messi
I've been looking into the rear subframe lock kit and a front ARB then a geometry setup..most of the suspension components i would of changed by this time so hopefully i can drive it and get some feel for what i've got..
the best way to tighten up the rear suspension
1)subframe lock kit
2)poly pineapple bush kit for diff "t" bar control
3)rear track arm bushes x8
4)lateral arm bush kit
5)rear hub bush kit
cheers geo
Old 09 August 2009, 04:36 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Any body used ebay supplied strut braces?

93-01 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi STRUT BRACE BARS RA P1 on eBay (end time 13-Aug-09 01:21:03 BST)

Any good compared to the usual suppliers?
Obviously the ebay ones are cheaper, but i'm not convinced by the strut top brackets myself. Look as though there could be alot of inherent flex the design there which is exactly what your trying to avoid with this i would have thought.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Dan.