Notices

Perrin Droplinks.... aaaaaagh!

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2009, 06:08 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perrin Droplinks.... aaaaaagh!

I'm hoping someone on here has come across a similar problem and can advise....

I have a MY03 STi and last week I bought some front and rear droplinks from a fellow Scoobynetter for a great price....
Prior to buying them, I checked the Perrin USA website and made sure they would be the correct ones.... all good so far.

Droplinks arrived as promised and front ones were perfect. The rears however were a straight design as opposed to the C-shaped OE ones on my car.

I emailed Perrin (USA) Technical Department AND TSL who both gave conflicting advice. Perrin stated that the ones I had (straight design) were the correct ones for my vehicle. TSL (who were very patient and helpful) stated that I'd need new C-shaped links for my 03STi but the straight links would work for an 04STi (or newer)....

Now my understanding is that the 03STi (blobeye) didn't change until 2005 (hawkeye).... so why change the suspension midway through a model.....

I'm sooooo confused. Can anyone help?

I do know that both designs of rear droplinks have different ARBs. I'll obviously buy the correct ARB for the correct droplinks (which fit my car)...
Old 11 April 2009, 08:08 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't like to go against what TSL and indeed Perrin are telling you, but i would say the C shaped links would be for 03-04 STI blobeyes and the straight ones for 05+ blob/hawkeye. When i first got my droplinks for mine (05 STI) i was provided with the wrong ones (the C shaped) and when i took them back they didn't know why they didn't fit, turned out i needed the straight ones and they didn't have the updated whiteline catalogue.
Old 11 April 2009, 10:36 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Does that mean that there has been a suspension layout change for the blobeyes.... My car is identical to yours (as pictured on the left) but obviously doesn't take the straight-ones that yours does.... Again I'm more confused then ever.....
Old 12 April 2009, 01:55 AM
chris_bobuk
Scooby Regular

Early Blobs have the C shaped, mines is 2003 STI and has them.
They did change the rear drop links half way through to straights one, also the imports are straight ones as well I'm led to believe.

I spent a while looking and looking under the car to make sure I got the right ones, well order the right ones when I get round to it.
Old 12 April 2009, 07:56 AM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Luther, there was a change to the rear blobeye suspension when they increased the track width. Happened 05 on uk's 04 on japs. Guv ended up with the wrong ARB's a while back because they sent them out for a UK 04 but he has the wider track with the rear arch extensions (and straight drop links )
Old 12 April 2009, 10:23 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I have a Sept 03 sti and it has c shaped one ones the back.

dipster
Old 12 April 2009, 01:47 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I have a 2004 WR1. It doesn't have the wider track of the 05 model but does have the later straight drop links.
I got my Perrin stuff from Graham @ TSL. He crawled under the car to make sure he sold me the right bits.
Old 12 April 2009, 02:07 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Cr@p.... looks like I have the older C-shaped ones.... so these straight ones are no good to me....

So onto the for sale section and new ones from TSL I guess..... How does the Whiteline kit compare? It works out slightly cheaper....

Thanks for all your help people....

Last edited by Luther; 12 April 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12 April 2009, 02:22 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Pics as promised although I've resigned myself to the fact that they're probably the old C-shaped links....

Rear N/S arch from behind...

Soz about crap pics.... it was raining....