Notices

Tein Basic Coilovers - My first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2008, 12:58 PM
goodo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Basic Coilovers - My first impressions

Put some Tein 'basic' coilovers and whiteline anti roll bars and drop links on my impreza yesterday. Firstly, the car handles extremely well, you can chuck it about like a go kart, but the ride is pretty awful. Now, if I lived near billiard table smooth roads, then I'm sure it wouldn't bother me, but the car is crashing through all of the pot holes, and ripples of tarmac we have to put up with here in London, and frankly it gives me a sore back just driving the thing. This feeling is not helped by the excessive trim rattle, as it sounds like the car is falling apart. I was also a bit bemused to see the coilover instruction said "Not for road use" what's that all about?

I'm sure there has to be a nice and easy compromise between the standard suspension which is soft but firm, and coilovers, which I think are probably designed for track use. Perhaps Eibach progressive springs or something similar in the standard KYB struts. I have kept the original struts so I may explore this option in the new year.

I am taking my sister back to my parents for Christmas, and I'm a little apprehensive about how much she's going to enjoy the drive. I'll keep my mouth shut and see what she says.

On a motorway drive yesterday doing about 90 I felt like I was sitting on top of a washing machine. My teeth chattering away. I think the spring rates are far too high! Maybe "not for road use" is more accurate than I thought. Just wish they'd told me before I bought them.

I wan't something comfy that handles well enough. Im not a race driver, but I the impreza needs decent suspenders to keep it on the road.

Merry Christmas to you all

Andrew
Old 23 December 2008, 01:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Dont' have any experience of the basic Coilovers, are the damping rates adjustable? You may have them on the hardest setting which will be too firm for crap roads! Might be worth looking into to, as your problems might be solved by just turning down the dampers a bit!

I have the super streets with adjustable damping and the ride on the softest setting is quite OEM like.

Ns04

PS you'll find "not for road use" on pretty much all aftermarket parts! Standard get out of jail disclaimer! If you look at the manual for your car it says you must not modify it from factory spec in any way as it might render it dangerous etc..

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 23 December 2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 23 December 2008, 01:45 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

got these on mine and i must say they do take a little getting used to after having the standered set up on.i dont use my car every day as i have an old banger to use through the week so as a weekend car it is fun but i must agree for every day use it could realy get on my **** sometimes.
Old 23 December 2008, 02:49 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

You can't just throw a set of shocks and springs at a car and hope for the best. The jap stuff is nearly always over sprung and unsuitable for UK roads. I went for Leda coilovers and 275lb front springs and 225lb rear, this was after much research about springs for road use.

I would remove them and get the spring rates checked and replace if need be.
Old 23 December 2008, 03:05 PM
a51
Scooby Regular

I have the exact same problem with my Zeal Coilovers they do my head in but handles really well. I use my car everyday so i'm swapping the suspension for a standard sti one. I thought I could handle the bumpy bumpy ride but i've just had enough lol If anyones after a zeal suspension then PM me as i'll have one for sale in a couple off days time
Old 23 December 2008, 03:34 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

i had teins and they are bloody awful rock hard you candrive over a penny and say if it is heads or tails!
mine adjusted but even on softest its still hard glad i have a more standard set up on my new car
Old 23 December 2008, 03:48 PM
New_scooby_04

The Tein Superstreets are the same spring rates as the AST kit that Powerstation use, for example. Not all Japanese coilovers are over sprung for UK roads; you just need to do your homework first!

There is always a trade off though; if you want sharper handling, you need to make concessions in ride comfort. Its about getting the balance right though, as a stiff car might be good on a smooth track, but it'll be slower on bumpy roads!

Ns04
Old 23 December 2008, 06:45 PM
ma_99
Scooby Regular

just adjust the damping rate (if you can, considering its a basic set)

my cousin has superstreet on his, set at level 16, softest setting, its still bit bouncy but the handling and control is awesome!!!

depends how you want to drive really, ive got v-limited shocks and springs put in mine cos i love rallying mine around n throwing it over speed humps etc at speed, jus going to put eibach springs in now cos i want it a little lower (not sure about how much abuse they can take though).

Teins are very good for fast road use, but if you live in an area with lots of speed humps and pot holes then maybe something else? but isnt the whole point of havin a scoob to rally it around???
Old 24 December 2008, 12:59 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basic teins are adjustable with the C Spanners...Good Luck
Old 24 December 2008, 08:06 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just swapping for softer springs isn't a good option as the damping/spring rates are matched by the manufacturer.
I would like Mono flex with edfc, but the spring rates are too high, and I'm not paying for the NEW dampers to be re-built as well !

dunx
Old 24 December 2008, 09:27 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
You can't just throw a set of shocks and springs at a car and hope for the best. The jap stuff is nearly always over sprung and unsuitable for UK roads. I went for Leda coilovers and 275lb front springs and 225lb rear, this was after much research about springs for road use.

I would remove them and get the spring rates checked and replace if need be.
If my calcs are right that is about 5 kg/mm front and 4 kg/mm rear.

From my research I would not go higher, and run lowest damping for the street.

Some coilovers are 8/6 kg front/rear and that is ok for track use but very harsh on the roads.
Old 27 December 2008, 01:28 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I think the basics have no adjustment, if you want softer all you can do is change springs?
Old 27 December 2008, 04:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Tein Super streets for a classic are 4kg/mm front, 3 Kg/mm rear and I would simply not go any harder on UK roads, unless you spend a lot of time on track!

Ns04