ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Tein Basic Coilovers - My first impressions (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/733590-tein-basic-coilovers-my-first-impressions.html)

goodo 23 December 2008 12:58 PM

Tein Basic Coilovers - My first impressions

Put some Tein 'basic' coilovers and whiteline anti roll bars and drop links on my impreza yesterday. Firstly, the car handles extremely well, you can chuck it about like a go kart, but the ride is pretty awful. Now, if I lived near billiard table smooth roads, then I'm sure it wouldn't bother me, but the car is crashing through all of the pot holes, and ripples of tarmac we have to put up with here in London, and frankly it gives me a sore back just driving the thing. This feeling is not helped by the excessive trim rattle, as it sounds like the car is falling apart. I was also a bit bemused to see the coilover instruction said "Not for road use" what's that all about?

I'm sure there has to be a nice and easy compromise between the standard suspension which is soft but firm, and coilovers, which I think are probably designed for track use. Perhaps Eibach progressive springs or something similar in the standard KYB struts. I have kept the original struts so I may explore this option in the new year.

I am taking my sister back to my parents for Christmas, and I'm a little apprehensive about how much she's going to enjoy the drive. I'll keep my mouth shut and see what she says.

On a motorway drive yesterday doing about 90 I felt like I was sitting on top of a washing machine. My teeth chattering away. I think the spring rates are far too high! Maybe "not for road use" is more accurate than I thought. Just wish they'd told me before I bought them.

I wan't something comfy that handles well enough. Im not a race driver, but I the impreza needs decent suspenders to keep it on the road.

Merry Christmas to you all

Andrew

New_scooby_04 23 December 2008 01:27 PM

Dont' have any experience of the basic Coilovers, are the damping rates adjustable? You may have them on the hardest setting which will be too firm for crap roads! Might be worth looking into to, as your problems might be solved by just turning down the dampers a bit! :)

I have the super streets with adjustable damping and the ride on the softest setting is quite OEM like.

Ns04

PS you'll find "not for road use" on pretty much all aftermarket parts! Standard get out of jail disclaimer! If you look at the manual for your car it says you must not modify it from factory spec in any way as it might render it dangerous etc..

bigarf 23 December 2008 01:45 PM

got these on mine and i must say they do take a little getting used to after having the standered set up on.i dont use my car every day as i have an old banger to use through the week so as a weekend car it is fun but i must agree for every day use it could realy get on my tits sometimes.

T5OLF 23 December 2008 02:49 PM

You can't just throw a set of shocks and springs at a car and hope for the best. The jap stuff is nearly always over sprung and unsuitable for UK roads. I went for Leda coilovers and 275lb front springs and 225lb rear, this was after much research about springs for road use.

I would remove them and get the spring rates checked and replace if need be.

a51 23 December 2008 03:05 PM

I have the exact same problem with my Zeal Coilovers :mad: they do my head in :lol1: but handles really well. I use my car everyday so i'm swapping the suspension for a standard sti one. I thought I could handle the bumpy bumpy ride but i've just had enough lol If anyones after a zeal suspension then PM me as i'll have one for sale in a couple off days time :D

war1974 23 December 2008 03:34 PM

i had teins and they are bloody awful rock hard you candrive over a penny and say if it is heads or tails!
mine adjusted but even on softest its still hard glad i have a more standard set up on my new car

New_scooby_04 23 December 2008 03:48 PM

The Tein Superstreets are the same spring rates as the AST kit that Powerstation use, for example. Not all Japanese coilovers are over sprung for UK roads; you just need to do your homework first!

There is always a trade off though; if you want sharper handling, you need to make concessions in ride comfort. Its about getting the balance right though, as a stiff car might be good on a smooth track, but it'll be slower on bumpy roads!

Ns04

ma_99 23 December 2008 06:45 PM

just adjust the damping rate (if you can, considering its a basic set)

my cousin has superstreet on his, set at level 16, softest setting, its still bit bouncy but the handling and control is awesome!!!

depends how you want to drive really, ive got v-limited shocks and springs put in mine cos i love rallying mine around n throwing it over speed humps etc at speed, jus going to put eibach springs in now cos i want it a little lower (not sure about how much abuse they can take though).

Teins are very good for fast road use, but if you live in an area with lots of speed humps and pot holes then maybe something else? but isnt the whole point of havin a scoob to rally it around???

STI_Baly 24 December 2008 12:59 PM

Basic teins are adjustable with the C Spanners...Good Luck

dunx 24 December 2008 08:06 PM

Just swapping for softer springs isn't a good option as the damping/spring rates are matched by the manufacturer.
I would like Mono flex with edfc, but the spring rates are too high, and I'm not paying for the NEW dampers to be re-built as well !

dunx

prwatts 24 December 2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 8369766)
You can't just throw a set of shocks and springs at a car and hope for the best. The jap stuff is nearly always over sprung and unsuitable for UK roads. I went for Leda coilovers and 275lb front springs and 225lb rear, this was after much research about springs for road use.

I would remove them and get the spring rates checked and replace if need be.

If my calcs are right that is about 5 kg/mm front and 4 kg/mm rear.

From my research I would not go higher, and run lowest damping for the street.

Some coilovers are 8/6 kg front/rear and that is ok for track use but very harsh on the roads.

davedipster 27 December 2008 01:28 PM

I think the basics have no adjustment, if you want softer all you can do is change springs?

New_scooby_04 27 December 2008 04:09 PM

Tein Super streets for a classic are 4kg/mm front, 3 Kg/mm rear and I would simply not go any harder on UK roads, unless you spend a lot of time on track!

Ns04