ALK .... Help me make them !

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 07:22 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALK .... Help me make them !

What do I need to know ?

I have hardrace one's to base the shape on,but they are not anti lift.

What do I need to know to design my own brand? What can be done different to make them better?

any guru's please help

chris
Old 13 August 2008, 08:02 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

The Whiteline one seems to be the most well regarded.

Here is a link with some pics next to the oem part.
https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...ml#post7378068
Old 13 August 2008, 08:10 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

I can lend you 1 to copy if required?
Old 13 August 2008, 08:11 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72

Whiteline?
Old 13 August 2008, 08:12 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STiFreak
Hi Chris,

The Whiteline one seems to be the most well regarded.

Here is a link with some pics next to the oem part.
https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...ml#post7378068

Cheers

Can whiteline be improved in anyway??
Old 13 August 2008, 08:20 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CDF Racing
Whiteline?
Yes whiteline, maybe making the spacer thicker will add a touch more castor(which is all a ALK adds)

Brett
Old 13 August 2008, 08:22 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

i think you will end up in trouble if you copy whiteline parts m8
Old 13 August 2008, 08:22 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Yes whiteline, maybe making the spacer thicker will add a touch more castor(which is all a ALK adds)

Brett
Okay great .... if you would be willing to do that you could have a free set of ours when we have them for sale

or if your not interested in them i'm sure we can sort something else out
Old 13 August 2008, 08:26 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cusco kid
i think you will end up in trouble if you copy whiteline parts m8

Yep ,... wouldn't be looking to make a direct copy - just something to base the designs on as the hardrace stuff doesn't add the castor and I need to see how it works . If I planned to copy them I wouldn't be posting on a public forum - but I know what your saying....

just think we can offer these at much better price's + want a set on mine

and before anyone says it... because I know they will , I understand whiteline are the pro's in this stuff and have been making them for years - I'm just interested in seeing what we can do .. plus it gives me a new project

Last edited by CDF Racing; 13 August 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 13 August 2008, 09:11 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

If scoobynewbie72 decides not to lend you his i have a pair sitting in my garage you can borrow.
Old 13 August 2008, 09:13 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

is the bush in the middle solid?
Old 13 August 2008, 09:19 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Not solid, but reasonably stiff polyurethane, with a metal insert.
Old 13 August 2008, 10:14 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

grease nipple like the perrin ones would be good
Old 13 August 2008, 10:30 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maydew
grease nipple like the perrin ones would be good
so you can grease the bushes??
Old 13 August 2008, 10:38 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

I maybe way out here ..... but does anyone think it is poss to make them adjustable ... so you can adjust them to suit between .5 and 2 deg??
I have heard perrin use spacers to make them 2 deg
Old 13 August 2008, 10:59 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

so you can grease the bushes??
yeah easier to keep maintained..

i am no expert but would imagine 1.5 if enough for any road going car i.e fixed to give u 1.5 degree
Old 14 August 2008, 07:12 AM
Whiteline Automotive
Scooby Regular

Default Whiteline WALK copy

G'day everyone,

We'd also like to know how we could improve our design and would really like to get any feedback. It’s one thing to work out an idea and design a product around but being so close to it, we're mindful of the fact that it could always be better.

scoobynewbie72, the "thicker spacer" wouldn't really work with caster because we’ve added pretty much all we can before it allows the control arm to start fouling the body. Also, it's important to think about static vs dynamic caster which is more important and that has been designed into the whole mount and bush interaction. However, the main “spacing” outcome from the WALK is mainly the actual Anti-Lift Kit part and that is designed to remove the factory anti geometry without creating other problems.

CDF Racing, to help explain above, we have an explanatory white paper on our web site at http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles...WL%20ALK_b.pdf that was put together by our engineers to help better understand the geometry and how it works. This should “Help you make them”.

maydew, to our knowledge, the other brand uses a spherical bearing and the grease nipple is provided for that. All 3 of our Comfort, Street and Motorsport versions use a polyurethane bush design to provide NVH isolation and some compliance. However, the Motorsport design uses a much harder and revised bush design to better locate the arm under extreme loads. Our tests have shown that this delivers most of the positives of a solid bearing without the negatives.

Hope that helps and we look forward to some more feedback.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim

jim@whiteline.com.au
Whiteline Flatout
Old 14 August 2008, 07:18 AM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

Both the road and race versions of the Whiteline ALK add 0.5 degrees the only difference is the harder black bush on the race kit.

I believe the Whiteline stuff for Imprezas was designed by an ex F1 suspension guru who goes by the name of Job Gevers, what he don't know about suspension ain't worth knowing !!! I would imagine if Whiteline do not add more than 0.5 degree of castor it is for a reason ????

The one thing you could consider making though is sets of sealed ARB saddle clamps that totally encase the bush etc and therefore will stop the age old problem of the whiteline ARB's squeaking after the grease has dried out. I believe Perrin already do these for their ARB kits, just a thought,

Ralph
Milsport

Last edited by ralphandcarol; 14 August 2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: correction
Old 14 August 2008, 07:22 AM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

Ah, while I was busy typing and posting up my reply Jim posted his.

Come on Jim what about sealed saddle clamps ?

Ralph

Last edited by ralphandcarol; 14 August 2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 14 August 2008, 10:25 AM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Hi Ralph

Thanks Jim for your comments .... very helpful .
We did email twice last year about opening a whiteline account but now reply
Old 14 August 2008, 01:20 PM
jgevers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ralphandcarol
Hi Chris,

Both the road and race versions of the Whiteline ALK add 0.5 degrees the only difference is the harder black bush on the race kit.

I believe the Whiteline stuff for Imprezas was designed by an ex F1 suspension guru who goes by the name of Job Gevers, what he don't know about suspension ain't worth knowing !!! I would imagine if Whiteline do not add more than 0.5 degree of castor it is for a reason ????

The one thing you could consider making though is sets of sealed ARB saddle clamps that totally encase the bush etc and therefore will stop the age old problem of the whiteline ARB's squeaking after the grease has dried out. I believe Perrin already do these for their ARB kits, just a thought,

Ralph
Milsport

Hi Ralph,

Although I work for Whiteline's parent company, Redranger and I am a suspension engineer, I was not the one that designed the ALK. It was in fact the Whiteline engineering team under the lead of Jim Gurieff. This team is a great bunch of guys, who really try to design good value for money parts that make a proper, real life difference. The Whiteline ALK, Whiteline Roll Centre Adjustment kit, Whiteline MaxC, Whiteline solid droplinks etc. are proof that the team at Whiteline are normally the first to put innovative ideas into practice.

The ALK itself works very well both in adding static castor as well as reducing castor loss under load that is a big problem with the standard bushing. The anti-lift function, that changes the anti-geometry and therefore reducing the stiction/friction in the front suspension, does a great job in allowing the other front suspension components to do their job better.

Obviously, the design parameters are very important for the WALK to work correctly and a few millimeters out means a greatly reduced effect and sometimes adverse effects.

I have had a close look at some of the copies available and found that most copying manufacturers have changed some measurements within the ALK (probably to avoid IP infringment) and therefore have reduced the effectiveness.

In my opinion, most copied products are very rarely as good as the original :-)

By the way, how is your Whitelinized RA going?

Cheers,

Job
Old 14 August 2008, 05:03 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Whiteline Automotive
G'day everyone,

We'd also like to know how we could improve our design and would really like to get any feedback. It’s one thing to work out an idea and design a product around but being so close to it, we're mindful of the fact that it could always be better.

scoobynewbie72, the "thicker spacer" wouldn't really work with caster because we’ve added pretty much all we can before it allows the control arm to start fouling the body. Also, it's important to think about static vs dynamic caster which is more important and that has been designed into the whole mount and bush interaction. However, the main “spacing” outcome from the WALK is mainly the actual Anti-Lift Kit part and that is designed to remove the factory anti geometry without creating other problems.

CDF Racing, to help explain above, we have an explanatory white paper on our web site at http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles...WL%20ALK_b.pdf that was put together by our engineers to help better understand the geometry and how it works. This should “Help you make them”.

maydew, to our knowledge, the other brand uses a spherical bearing and the grease nipple is provided for that. All 3 of our Comfort, Street and Motorsport versions use a polyurethane bush design to provide NVH isolation and some compliance. However, the Motorsport design uses a much harder and revised bush design to better locate the arm under extreme loads. Our tests have shown that this delivers most of the positives of a solid bearing without the negatives.

Hope that helps and we look forward to some more feedback.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim

jim@whiteline.com.au
Whiteline Flatout
Ive sent you a pm and email regarding a long standing problem with some Whiteline parts, Id appriciate your help in resolving the issue.
Old 14 August 2008, 08:07 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

What do I need to know ?

I have hardrace one's to base the shape on,but they are not anti lift.

What do I need to know to design my own brand? What can be done different to make them better?

any guru's please help

chris
Just an idea, would it not be cost effective just to make a couple of square washers to obtain the required offset. That way using longer bolts you could reuse the original rear mounts on the front wishbone.
From looking at the piccies of the whitline ones they just appear to move the pivot approx 15-20mm down, compared to std.
Old 14 August 2008, 09:30 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 172sport
Just an idea, would it not be cost effective just to make a couple of square washers to obtain the required offset. That way using longer bolts you could reuse the original rear mounts on the front wishbone.
From looking at the piccies of the whitline ones they just appear to move the pivot approx 15-20mm down, compared to std.
It's a idea .... but I would prefer to make our own brand as we are hopefully making the full kit up over the next few months .... droplinks etc
Old 14 August 2008, 10:02 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

It's a idea .... but I would prefer to make our own brand as we are hopefully making the full kit up over the next few months .... droplinks etc
Nothing wrong with std front drop links, It would be good toi get rid of the plastic rears tho.
Old 15 August 2008, 06:07 PM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jgevers
Hi Ralph,

Although I work for Whiteline's parent company, Redranger and I am a suspension engineer, I was not the one that designed the ALK. It was in fact the Whiteline engineering team under the lead of Jim Gurieff. This team is a great bunch of guys, who really try to design good value for money parts that make a proper, real life difference. The Whiteline ALK, Whiteline Roll Centre Adjustment kit, Whiteline MaxC, Whiteline solid droplinks etc. are proof that the team at Whiteline are normally the first to put innovative ideas into practice.

The ALK itself works very well both in adding static castor as well as reducing castor loss under load that is a big problem with the standard bushing. The anti-lift function, that changes the anti-geometry and therefore reducing the stiction/friction in the front suspension, does a great job in allowing the other front suspension components to do their job better.

Obviously, the design parameters are very important for the WALK to work correctly and a few millimeters out means a greatly reduced effect and sometimes adverse effects.

I have had a close look at some of the copies available and found that most copying manufacturers have changed some measurements within the ALK (probably to avoid IP infringment) and therefore have reduced the effectiveness.

In my opinion, most copied products are very rarely as good as the original :-)

By the way, how is your Whitelinized RA going?

Cheers,

Job

Hi Job, (and sorry for the highjack),

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I seriously thought you had a hand in most of Whitelines products.

It is going great, like a different animal. I am now thinking of getting an even more extreme geometry set up ie: closer to Graeme's.

Do you think it is possible for sort of "sealed" ARB mounting brackets to be made to stop them drying out and squeaking/creaking ??? If you do have a word in their ear for me/us that suffer the same problem, re-greasing the bushes every couple of months is a real PITA.

Ralph

Last edited by ralphandcarol; 15 August 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 17 August 2008, 11:05 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

For info the Forester bushes are to the same 'pro-lift' level as the Whiteline 'ALK' setup, but without adding the extra castor, that would achieved by moving the bush laterally 'outwards' (not downwards so spacers wouldn't work - you can achieve the smae effect if you have alloy lower arms by spacing the pin (bolt on) that goes though this bush from the rest of the arm) so could be achieved in the same way as say adjustable top mounts.

Simon