Notices

Finally made a decision----I think!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2008, 07:13 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally made a decision----I think!!

After much deliberation, research, advice (cheers 911,Dunx and Cusco Kid), plus answers to emails from Powerstation, I've finally made a decision on the whiteline kit I'm going to get.

Rear adjustable 24mm ARB
Rear anti roll bar heavy duty mounts
Anti Lift Kit
Heavy duty steering rack bushes

As for drop links, Steel or alloy, there is no clear cut answer as to which is best. 911 suggests the steel (cheaper and track better) which seems a valid point, CuscoKid suggests Alloy? Anyone care to give any further arguments for or against either?

I've decided on the uprated rear mounting points as the original ones look pretty weak and with the stiffer bars being mounted, I'd rather it didn't give out mid bend!

Due to costs (bearing in mind I have yet to pay for an alignment, plus better tyres) I've left the front ARB for now but am aiming for the 22mm adjustable item. I've driven cars where I've only uprated the rear which magnified turn in dramatically. I intend to run the rear bar on it's softest setting whilst I have the standard front bar on until I'm used to the characteristics.

I'm used to my old Pug 205 which had a 19mm front arb, rear 23mm torsion bars, and a 25mm rear arb. With a solid beam mount kit, the turn in was 'Go-Kart' like.

So, any opinions on the above. I'm just about to order the kit (to fit myself). I'm sure it will be right, I know if I go too 'soft' I'll be wanting more. I'm hoping the adjustable bars will allow for upgrading without spending more cash, plus I can tone down when the weather is wet.
Old 20 March 2008, 08:04 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds a good plan.
I am sure you will find the 22mm on the front later will surprise you as the tuning options a far greater, and you can find a very neutral setting (if that's what you want!)

as to rear links, my advice is simply based on I've had my Whiteline ones on for 4 or 5 years, no probs except they look a bit ratty now due to surface corrosion of the plating on the link wires. The alloy ones will take longer to get in the same state.

I think the alloy ones are stiffer than the steel, but I know mine work ace, so there!

I will be very interested to see how the API alignment goes with David (who I know well) He can do corner weighting also...
Old 20 March 2008, 09:35 AM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the steel drop links are going to save me about £30 which could go on a tank of fuel

Certainly not worried about bling and they seem to withstand the long term test so I reckon I might go with them.

As for the alignment, Mocom Racing (good recomendations from this site) are fairly close to me (70ish miles), but if anyone can recommend a more local (read 'knows what they're doing') establishment in the South East, let me know
Old 20 March 2008, 02:03 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO: Mocom is a very sound place to go, just on reading and some 'conversations' with Zak on Snet on various issues.