Notices

Dealership pricing from WRX Prodrive springs and Geo?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2007, 04:24 PM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership pricing from WRX Prodrive springs and Geo?

I have booked the car in for a service and to have the springs done at the same time, the car is an '05 WRX Wagon, I have been quoted £650ish (just for the spring bit, not the service aswell), thats for the springs, fitting, VAT and Geo setup, as a worst case scenario on the time taken to do it. Has anyone else had this done at the main dealers and does that price sound resonable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, hopefully once its done I will forget about what it cost!.

Thanks
Ian
Old 11 October 2007, 04:42 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Have you thought about getting the springs from the dealer, then getting someone like Mocom to fit & do the geometry..? May work out a bit cheaper..?

I priced the springs and fitting at a dealer a while back and nearly bit their arm off until they realised they'd quoted me for a full set of springs and the labour to fit just a pair..lol!! Once they recalculated the proper labour charge and told me the correct figure, I changed my mind..!!
Old 11 October 2007, 04:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats too much !!!

1. Buy the springs
2. Get them fitted by the dealer if you must
3. Get the allignment done by a professional. Dealers rarely have the facilities to do this on site and from experience they never set it up properly if at all. Dealer will charge you something like £100+VAT for the Geo where as someone like Mocom who are experts charge £80.

I paid around £500 for the springs fitting and allignment and the allignment wasn't done cause I had it checked independently and it was way out.
Old 11 October 2007, 04:53 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

This seems expensive, I thought the springs are around 225 pounds.
I wouldn't think it would take more than 2.5-3h to fit them?
Could you post some pics up once it's done as I am thinking of doing the same in my '07 WRX wagon shortly.
Old 11 October 2007, 05:35 PM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

The springs on their own was £190, the place in question have told me that they have a full laser alignment facility, and they also sell/lokk after lotus's aswell, which are always well set up, but I think I will have a call around to see what is what. Thanks for the info.

Also for those of you who have had it done, is it worth it?

Ian
Old 11 October 2007, 06:10 PM
stevolang
Scooby Regular

Just had prodrive springs fitted by dealer and apparently geo setup as well,would not recommend it at all! learn by others mistakes,buy the springs from the dealer and get an expert to fit and and do the geo! My car kept pulling to the left and after checking the tracking and tyre pressure found out that the problem was the allignment!
Old 11 October 2007, 06:19 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevolang
Just had prodrive springs fitted by dealer and apparently geo setup as well,would not recommend it at all! learn by others mistakes,buy the springs from the dealer and get an expert to fit and and do the geo! My car kept pulling to the left and after checking the tracking and tyre pressure found out that the problem was the allignment!
Well quite ! exactly the same experience as me.

Pricing wise most dealers quote springs and then around £50-65 a corner to fit.

The springs are 100% worth it, as is professional alignment.

There are alignment settings from Prodrive but you can ask a professional like Mocom to set the car up exactly how you want it to handle. The fast road set up I had on my 53WRX was amazing.

Last edited by 53; 11 October 2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12 October 2007, 08:56 AM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give Mocom a call today and see what they say, they only seem to be a quick blat (if there is such a thing) roung the M25.

Thanks again.
Ian
Old 12 October 2007, 05:12 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Dubster,

Keep us updated as I quite fancy this too...

53WRX,
I see you've got the PD springs on the spec.D, did they make a noticeable difference to it..?
Old 12 October 2007, 05:18 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Dubster,

Keep us updated as I quite fancy this too...

53WRX,
I see you've got the PD springs on the spec.D, did they make a noticeable difference to it..?
Loads, makes the ride much more predictable, removes the motorway warble and generally sharpens up the feel of the car. I hated the standard springs TBH as did I on the WRX. What with sitting higher in the MY06 seats and standard springs it felt like I was driving an SUV after the much lower WRX.

I haven't bothered with any more upgrades like ARBs etc as Mocom advised that the MY06 set up was very accomplished already. Just needed a fast road alignment set up and its tyre squeelingly stable
Old 12 October 2007, 05:27 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

"motorway warble"... nice one!! Spot on too...!!

Right, that's my next mod providing I'm not too tempted by those lovely looking 08 STi's in silver...

C'mon then Dubster, how much for the springs fitting and redoing my recently done geo settings..?!! It'll save me a phonecall..!!
Old 12 October 2007, 05:41 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
"motorway warble"... nice one!! Spot on too...!!

Right, that's my next mod providing I'm not too tempted by those lovely looking 08 STi's in silver...

C'mon then Dubster, how much for the springs fitting and redoing my recently done geo settings..?!! It'll save me a phonecall..!!
January Zak quoted

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...ml#post6599163

And I think the springs are £225 without discounts.

V8 YHPM
Old 13 October 2007, 12:16 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Got my springs fitted at a dealer for £400.

Got the Geometry done at Carnetix for £90+vat.

When getting the Geometry done though it was found that the dealer had fitted the front spring tops wrong !!

Had to get Carnetix to remove the springs and fit them properly.A not so friendly call to the dealer and they picked up the cost to do this.
Old 13 October 2007, 12:20 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by renny
Got my springs fitted at a dealer for £400.

Got the Geometry done at Carnetix for £90+vat.

When getting the Geometry done though it was found that the dealer had fitted the front spring tops wrong !!

Had to get Carnetix to remove the springs and fit them properly.A not so friendly call to the dealer and they picked up the cost to do this.
I remember you posting this I would have gone off the scale mental.

c.£500 is about the best price all in.
Old 13 October 2007, 12:38 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I remember you posting this I would have gone off the scale mental.

c.£500 is about the best price all in.

Had to be polite (ish) so as to get the dealer to agree to let Carnetix do the work rather than take it back to them.

Turned out okay in the end - just won't be going back that's all. All i can do is take my business elsewhere and hit them in the pocket.

The ironic thing is they originally quoted me over £500 just for the springs but knocked them down and got them to match another dealer's price.

Got my 1st service at the end of next month and still undecided where to take it. There are a couple of other dealers that i could try - leaning towards taking it back to Carnetix though.
Old 13 October 2007, 12:44 AM
Scooby Senior

I had my oil done (out of service) at Mocoms just so i knew it had some decent lube running. But I am going back there for the 2 year service, uprated pads and brake fluids in March. I have no time for dealers anymore, I just don't trust the work.
Old 13 October 2007, 03:05 PM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Well, I called Mocom yesterday, not sure who I spoke to, but he was very helpful, he said I would be looking at around £200 ish for fitting, 1hr per Corner, and £80 for the Geo. the springs would be whatever the Dealer price is if I went for the Prodrive option, but they do Tein/Whiteline etc a bit cheaper, but I will have to take their advice on which to go for, unless any of you have any advice, so I think I will be cancelling the Booking with the Main Stealers, and getting it done at Mocom at the start of November hopefully, it is a bit of a drive for me, and they said it would be about 5hours to do, but they were kind enough to offer to drop me off in the local town, , bet you wouldnt get that from your local dealer. When I finally get my ar*e in gear I will get some photos sorted.

Ian
Old 13 October 2007, 03:38 PM
Scooby Senior

I haven't experienced a drive on them but the Tein S springs look like they sit lower than the prodrives, and I like that. Frayz I believe has the whitelines and has been happy with them as far as I know. Prodrives are on my car purley because I got them in the car deal and I was pleased with them on 53WRX (again negotiated with the car). You're in good hands with Mocoms Ian. You either spoke to Zak or Luke both genuine and nice people. Good price too
Old 13 October 2007, 06:34 PM
gDallasK
Scooby Regular

I paid £510 including fitting and alignment at the dealer.
Old 13 October 2007, 07:31 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dubster
The springs on their own was £190, the place in question have told me that they have a full laser alignment facility, and they also sell/lokk after lotus's aswell, which are always well set up, but I think I will have a call around to see what is what. Thanks for the info.

Also for those of you who have had it done, is it worth it?

Ian
I know which dealer you are on about, dont let them near the car for alignment!!!!

There is a good indipendent near you that can do this plus quite a bit more for the same money!!!

Steve
Old 14 October 2007, 03:32 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebennett
I know which dealer you are on about, dont let them near the car for alignment!!!!

There is a good indipendent near you that can do this plus quite a bit more for the same money!!!

Steve
I had the idea that this particular dealer is good (at least better than others in Surrey). A friend has taken his car there for a service a couple of times and has been satisfied.
Old 18 October 2007, 03:20 PM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Well main dealers are just doing the service now, so I just need to get it booked into Mocom now, maybe with the money I am saving against the main dealers I might be able to get something else done aswell , but I have not been able to get hold of them this week, has anybody else spoken to them recently?

Ian
Old 18 October 2007, 03:50 PM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Big Brother is watching ....... Spooky timing but I have just had a call from Zak at Mocom, so the car is now booked in for the start of November, yay ... I will let you know how it pans out.

Ian