Notices

Lowering springs and ARB's

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 05:15 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs and ARB's

I have a Impreza sport (classic) and I want to lower it with some lowering springs and to put a rear ARB on as there is not one on there (tight fisted subaru).

I was thinking about the Eibach 25-30mm lowering spring kit and also a whitline anti roll bar for the rear and for the front as well to keep everying in check (plus what ever else I may need in that department?).

Now I know I have to have the geometry done after I have this done, so where can I get this all done. I see Scoobyclinic do all this, but thats a long drive from Harpenden, Herts to Chesterfield. My dad had to go up there for some work to be done on his WRX, so we know what to expect at the clinic.
If these prices that the clinc charge are very reasonable then I may just go there in stead, make a day of it, or what ever?

Who else does these sorts of things that the clinic does; bare in mind I don't want to be ripped off with poor service etc...
How long does it take to fit the springs and ARB's??
I know geometry takes about 1hr give or take.

Cheers

Darren
Old 22 July 2006, 05:19 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Powerstation are probably regarded as the best for anything to do with suspension.
They're in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, not sure how far this is for you.
Old 22 July 2006, 05:22 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have heard about PS and have been reconmended to laser alignment. From us they are a little closer, but its more cross country.

Has anybody had (what I reduire) this done at scoobyclinic??

Darren
Old 22 July 2006, 09:03 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

I had powerstation fit this set up to my new age WRX. They're advertising it as a stage 2 suspension upgrade for £720+VAT, including fitting. The complete kit includes an anti-lift kit which is well worth having, improves the steering nicely. All in all a great upgrade, highly recommended: the car's more stable, more agile, and more capable of putting the power down on the road (actually felt like a power upgrade). I'd seriously think about going to powerstation, if nothing else the drive back over the cotswolds would be a lot of fun!

D
Old 23 July 2006, 09:49 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate.
I had a look on Pswerstations website and saw the stages and prices. I did not really want to spend that amount of money.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 23 July 2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 23 July 2006, 04:24 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

all the arb stuff you can do yourself

for the rear you'll require a specific sport kit (99% sure the code is bsr13x ) as long as you have access to a jack, axle stands and your usual socket set, spanners etc you should have no problems at all.
either that or you will need the rear control arms from a turbo, along with chassis mounting brackets and other bits and bobs. this will work out a fair bit more expensive though and you don't gain too much more than you would with the sport kit.
for the front the standard arb is more than up to the job, just fit a set of solid droplinks and you'll be all sorted with that, another simple diy job

all you really need to worry about is the springs and alignment which can be done at the place of your choice, arb's and all the other stuff doesn't need separate alignment doing to it so can be done any time you want (unless you plan to fit the turbo control arms)

i too can recommend powerstation, however i only live 15 minutes away from them

give us a yell if you want any more info
Old 23 July 2006, 07:03 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks the input mate.

I don't have any axel stands, but have a socket set and a car jack that came with the car.

I would rather someone that knew what they are doing do it than me to mess it up.
Old 24 July 2006, 09:36 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

learn by doing mate, learn by doing

for what you'd fork out in labour charges in the first hour, you could pop to halfords and get yourself a decent trolley jack and a set of axle stands.
once you've got those, they're there for whenever you need them, for whatever you want to do, eg oil change, swapping wheels round, more chassis mods

all the arb is a piece of pee to do, there are good guides on imprezasport and any more info/piccies you need will just be a click away

btw, i did mine at about 9pm on a wet november evening after a day at work, it doesn't take that long to do and it isn't that difficult
Old 27 July 2006, 07:54 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

hmmmm

I would probably do it my self if someone that knew what they where doing to assist me/ help me.
Old 27 July 2006, 08:17 PM
timmccr
Scooby Regular

I've got a Sport Special and did the rear ARB myself. I bought the Sport-specific kit, but then found a pair of Turbo rear lateral links (with brackets for drop-links). I ditched some of the kit, using only the bar itself and the chassis mounts.

It didnt take me too long really. It gave me a nice feeling afterwards as well, both in satisfaction terms and performance. The back end is now a lot tighter.

In time I might upgrade to an adjustable 22mm bar.

I've also got some Eibach springs, but I've yet to fit them. I bought new KYB Excel-G shocks at the same time, but I'm waiting for new top-mounts before I can fit the whole lot (turbo and non-turbo top mounts are different).

If I get it all sorted soon, I'll let you know my findings. I'll probably be going to Powerstation to get my geometry set up, as well as (funds permitting) the bump-steer mod.
Old 28 July 2006, 07:33 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate. I'll look forward to hear your findings and opinion of PS.
Old 29 July 2006, 10:12 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Whats this 'sport kit' that you guys have mentioned?
Old 29 July 2006, 11:40 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gljam is the n/a suspension king

Si
Old 29 July 2006, 01:20 PM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.

Darren,

For the normal run of the mill settings any wheel alignment bay with laser set up would sufice, would also be cheaper, thus giving you funds for future mods [such as brakes], but if you require some thing more radical a trip to PS would be worth while..

John
Old 29 July 2006, 05:48 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Whats this 'sport kit' that you guys have mentioned?

simply put, the sport as standard doesn't have the required mounting points on the chassis and control arms to fit a turbo spec rear anti roll bar. Whiteline have put together a 'kit' consisting of the bar, mounting brackets, longer droplinks, mounting plates and all the fixings for sport owners to fit a rear arb without the need for changing the rear control arms and sourcing chassis brackets etc, the kit works just as well as the turbo spec stuff and you don't need to worry about realignment.

I've had both fitted to my car, currently have a 22mm adjustable bar fitted and all the turbo spec stuff. Previously i had the sport kit, the only reason for the change was that when i changed to a rear disc setup i needed to fit a new control arm and could only get hold of the turbo ones with the mounting brackets, there was also a slight clash between the new rear calipers and the sport droplinks which was easily overcome, but i decided i may as well go the whole hog

I'll probably pm you sometime with regards to gettting hold of a kit and getting it fitted

Si , smokin!!!

will see you next weekend at the barbie
Old 29 July 2006, 07:33 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate for clearing that up. A guy on SOX said he will help me fit the bits etc... so I now only need to know where to source this whiteline sport kit so i can order when I am ready.

either PM me on here on on imprezasport.net
Old 29 July 2006, 07:54 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I know the 01 WRX is known for understeer, but can it normally be provoked into oversteer too ?

I've had my WRX for 3 weeks and today was the first day I really got out of sorts in it. It was pissing down with rain and I accelerated hard at 40mph on a fairly tight bend on a dual carriageway to pass another car and ...... Wo-o-o-o-ah ! The tail end swung out wildly !! I managed to correct it but I got a bit of a fright !

The car is standard and the tyres look ok. Has anybody else experienced this
- do you reckon there's something wrong with the car ?

I'm having Whiteline ARB and droplinks plus Prodrive springs fitted in a couple of weeks - will this make the car morelikely to stick its tail out ?

Cheers,

Andy