Notices

Coilovers - Do I really have to replace them?

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2005, 11:17 AM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers - Do I really have to replace them?

Right, the suspension on my car is rock hard, certainly not comfortable for every day use.

I searched through the forum and found a few suggestions, one of which was to try and change the dampening rate by turning the allen key bolt on the top of the strut. I tried this yesterday without much success, the left front one wouldn't budge (thought it would be relatively easy to turn) and the right front one seems to have been rounded off, so the allen key doesn't fit now.

I was just chatting to Rich @ PS (didn't mention the problem with the allen key bolts) and he's said there's nothing they can do, couldn't adjust them or re-valve them and so he said the only option is to replace them all!!! I don't want to spend £1k when I've only had the car a few days, surely there is another solution??

I know these guys are the experts but I nearly fainted when he said this was the only option
Old 25 July 2005, 12:45 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is probably right.
The robustness of the adjustment is always 'delicate' and over time corrosion can seize the devices.
I oil mine every month and turn the adjuster 100% and return to the setting position for this reason. Seen too many others suffer in the past.

Graham.
Old 25 July 2005, 12:57 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Graham.

So is there any other alternative than to using coilovers? I only really use the car for going to work and spirited driving at the weekends, maybe a track day once or twice a year.

I did notice the tops of the struts had oil in them where the allen key hole was. Wondered why it was there.
Old 25 July 2005, 05:54 PM
Scooby Regular

Any suspension unit should be as dry as a bone normally.
For the road/high days I would have thought an Sti setup would be nice with eibach springs and a good alignment job, even better would be to add uprated roll bars too.
You would be startled to see just how much better the car will be for that alone.
Best talk to the right people such as Powerstation and others on here with a wealth of experience.
Try Andy at Power Station.

Graham.
Old 25 July 2005, 08:03 PM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Graham. I actually phoned Powerstation back to speak to Andy and ended up speaking to a nice guy called Curtis, apparently he's the one who does the suspension setups.

He explained to me what could be the problem and said that if I took it to them he would try his best to sort the current suspension out. He did doubt it though and said the Japanese systems are usually wound up to max hard so they sort of get stuck on that.

So essentially I can have one of the following :

For £750 + VAT I can have standard struts & Eibach springs.
or
For £850 + VAT I can have the ATS Coilovers.

Tough decision...not!
Old 25 July 2005, 10:19 PM
Scooby Regular

The last ones I hope!
Might be joining the AST Club soon...
Graham.
Old 26 July 2005, 08:35 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Sorry Sjuggins, I had a day off yesterday.
Old 26 July 2005, 09:32 AM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

How dare you have time off!!!!

LOL. No worries mate, probably see you on Thursday
Old 26 July 2005, 07:20 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Andy
Old 29 July 2005, 08:14 AM
sjuggins
Scooby Newbie

Well took the plunge and went to PS yesterday, after a SEVERE dent in my wallet got the car back and WOW, what a transformation!!

Curtis got the car on the ramp when I got there and set the dampers to max soft, although they were already on 2. This didn't make a tiny bit of difference so I opted to go for the AST's all round. The current suspension on the car was a very good make, it's just they were knackered after being driven on max hard for so long, 2 of the struts needed complete rebuilding. One thing that did cheer me up was not having to have the bump-steer mod done, apparently my car is perfect already and doesn't need it, few quid saved there

The drive home was a whole different experience, for a start it was comfortable and there was so much more feedback through the corners, feels like a different car now. There's still a tiny bit of understeer but I'm putting that down to the tyres being ****e.

So thanks to all the guys at PS, especially Curtis for doing a top job....just wish it was cheaper LOL.
Old 29 July 2005, 09:27 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I really rate the AST suspension for road use too. Good choice