Notices

Uprated Suspension - Where to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2004, 11:55 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Uprated Suspension - Where to Start?

I have an MY00 with standard supsension, but I feel the car would benefit from from some aftermarket bits & bobs.

Basically, I live in rural bumpy area (lake district), and could do with an improved or smoother ride but don't want to sacrifice anything in the way of handling or roadholding. Also I've often wondering about dropping the suspension down about an inch or so.

What would be the best way to start? Ideally it would be something with low initial outlay but noticable results.
Old 05 March 2004, 01:11 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fitted the Eibach Pro-Kit springs to my MY99 and they were a great improvement. The springs match the OE dampers very well and for the cost are great VFM.

I live out in the sticks too and always found the ride-quality vs handling to be very good. I fitted some solid drop links and a rear ARB to help further.

Still feel the handling could be improved further, but I think I'd need to look at either the P1 suspension (as it's setup for UK roads) or some adjustable coil-overs

Stefan
Old 05 March 2004, 04:48 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

thanks for the info - been looking at eibach springs, and prodrive too although they seem to be twice as much as anything else! Will probably do this mod and see what its like before doing anything else - although like you, I feel like sharpening up the handling the little.
Old 05 March 2004, 06:41 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I paid £135 for the Eibach Pro-kit and had my local Dealer fit them (cost another £100 or so). That was a couple of years ago, so unsure what the costs are now. Should be around £150-£175 for the spring themselves.

They are cheaper ones around, but I haven't heard of any others that match the OE dampers so well.

The full Prodrive pro kit (£1500) is supposed to be awesome, but may be a little too hard and unforgiving on rough, bumpy roads.

Stefan
Old 06 March 2004, 01:12 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

When fitting new suspension, be aware that most "performance" suspension will make the ride harder not softer. I run the P1 suspension on my MY00 uk turbo and it is far harder than any other scoobies ive been in.

If you want to have a smoother ride i would suggest you look at progressive springs such as the eibachs which should give you a comfortable ride, while improving the handling.

I used to run Grahame Goode Progressives on my car with standard dampers, these gave a great ride but lower the car quite alot (4-5cm).

ideally try an identical car with the modification done to make sure you like it. Suspension/ride/handling can be quite a personal thing and what one person likes another will hate.
Old 07 March 2004, 05:18 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Messiah, I tried Bilsteins but gave up with them as they kept blowing oil seals. I now have STi 6 standard suspension on my car and it is perfect for the roads around here. Its basically the same as P1 suspension but has harder front springs. If you would like a run out in my car to see what you think give me a shout. I'm in Whitehaven.
Old 07 March 2004, 09:42 PM
highlander
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Having tried various solutions on my Classic Scoob including coilovers and various spring combinations have now settled on KYB Adjustables (AGX) matched to Eibach Pro Kit springs - the absolute dogs danglies!!!!

Firm but smooth!!!!
Old 10 March 2004, 11:16 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

I've heard of a few people running with the P1 suspension - where are you all getting it from.

I want!!