Notices

What's better LEDA/DMS/Prodrive?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2001, 01:17 AM
Lance
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's best for a fast road and occasional track day set up (LEDA B/C or DMS 40mm/50mm or a Prodrive Setup?
Old 03 October 2001, 07:51 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Get the ones you can get serviced locally.

I think the DMS's would be a good choice over there, since I've seen quite a few on the i-club that are using them...and IIRC there's a US based dealer as well.

/J - I'm using Leda B's, and I love 'em.
Old 04 October 2001, 03:11 PM
Andy Hamp
Scooby Regular

IMHO - The Prodrive is good, but too hard to live with day to day. The Leda is simply awsome on my MY01. Can't comment on the DMS.

But i would say getting whatever you buy fitted properly will probably have a big difference.

Andy
Old 09 October 2001, 12:10 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Leda = Rebuild EVERY year, or 5 miles.

Dan
Old 09 October 2001, 12:52 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Dan,

Surely you're only refering to Leda C. Do Leda B need refurb'ing so often?
Old 09 October 2001, 10:46 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

DMS = EXCELLENT FOR TRACK BUT VERY FIRM FOR UK ROADS
LEDA = EVERY ONE SAYS AWESOME
PRODRIVE = EXPENSIVE

How about eibachs at TSL et al (circa £350 all in inc geometry check and alignment).

Made a huge difference to my car!!! Can you afford £1400 for the odd track day - if so the Leda's seem to be good alrounders in most peoples opinions - and DMS are excelent track kit - but ive heard they are VERY firm for every day use!!

Jza
Old 09 October 2001, 01:07 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've driven cars with Leda and Prodrive suspension, and settled for the Prodrive one!

The Leda cars seem very hard (although it may have been the setting) as I thought my fillings were going to fall out! A bit of a problem, as I use my car everyday on the roads and not on the track!

I guess in their purest form, the Ledas are a race item (like DMS), and as so you would expect them to be rebuilt on a regular basis.

The Prodrive suspension provided a softer ride, yet it seem to do the business on the roads! I'm now on my second car, and it's the second one with the Prodrive setup. I have made the ride a bit firmer by replacing the drop links with solid items (but that's a different story!)

As for expense, the price of the DMS items put me off (supply price was more expensive than other options fitted!); the hassle of taking my car to Leda, as well as needing them rebuilt later put me off them; and the Prodrive gear is not that expensive (if you talk nicely to the parts manager!)

Best option is to take a ride in the cars with the various options fitted, and see which fulfils your requirements best!

Andy
Old 09 October 2001, 02:42 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

David, I have heard of a 'FEW' cars requiring rebuilds due to a knocking noise from the units. Some of these are a few weeks after being rebuilt.

Dan
Old 09 October 2001, 05:49 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy
Are you talking about the Prodrive WR or the latest Prodrive Professional kit, because here in Greece - maybe be the same as in UK - they are completely different priced:
Prodrive WR: 680.000GRD = 1220GBP
Prodrive Prof: 1.000.000GRD = 1785GBP not cheap at all plus VAT !!!
JIM
Old 09 October 2001, 06:37 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jim,

I have the Prodrive WR kit, and it cost me about 75% of the price you quoted!!

But I know someone who got the professional kit for about 66% of the price you quote!! :ekk:

Draw your own conclusions as to whether they were expensive or not!!

Andy
Old 09 October 2001, 06:50 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ok Andy
Could then enlighten me - suggest me a dealer or mail-order shop where I can buy it in that price?
Or just tell me the source of your friend...of the air of course .
Thanks in advance!
JIM
Old 10 October 2001, 01:39 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,

What does the Prodrive kit contain. I don't want one, just curious what you get for the money?
Old 10 October 2001, 02:34 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jim,
As i understand PD is sold by main Subaru dealers in the UK.
One such i used and gives 10% discount for SIDC members, is
Old 10 October 2001, 03:16 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Danny Fisher:
<B>Leda = Rebuild EVERY year, or 5 miles.

Dan[/quote]

Danny thank you for your wise words

Recommended rebuild is 30,000 miles or two years. That said I know of customers that have been using them for 4 years and have never had a rebuild. The dampers have a full 12 months warranty.

A rebuild will restore the control that new dampers give, something that isn't possible with other makes, which are scrap when worn out.

Just over a year ago, 18 cars (9% of the amount fitted at that time) had a knocking problem. All were rebuilt under warranty.

<B>All </B>performance dampers run much hotter than standard units, due to the extra work they do. The main consequences are a slightly higher wear rate in valve seats and seals, plus a shorter life for the damping oil.
Old 10 October 2001, 04:28 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Pete, I have been in a car that had them re-built two weeks before hand. And they still had a knocking issue!

Dan
Old 10 October 2001, 05:44 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

My car had the said problem with knocking struts, and I had the car over to Leda in Braintree this summer.

The rear struts stopped knocking...for a while...now they're back to "normal" again. Oh dear...

BUT!!! I haven't noticed any ill effects from this, so I've decided to live with it, you've got to admit that they transform the car from a regular drive to something extraordinarily - at least me mate said so.

Cheers

/J
Old 11 October 2001, 09:56 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Danny,

When the car has been standing, the damping oil will be cold and there is always more noise, as it is too thick. This is the same with Leda, DMS, Proflex and all performance dampers. I have driven a DMS car that sounded like it was falling apart, but the noise virtually went, when the units had warmed up. Even the standard units are noisier on a cold morning, but to a lesser extent than performance dampers, down to the amount of work they are doing.

The problem can be almost completely eliminated using clever valve design and the latest damper oils, but there is no damping oil which is perfect below 20degC and still perfect at over 80degC.
Old 11 October 2001, 09:07 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Pete, I dont know of anyone around my way that runs DMS, Avo or anyother aftermarket suspension, other than leda users. Some have been lucky and not had too many issues with a knocking noise, but some do, even after a rebuild. I think I need to find someone using the other makes.

Dan
Old 12 October 2001, 09:35 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I've been driving with DMS 40 mm for 3 months now (after my Intrax suspension started to rattle like crazy ), and yup, the rears started "knocking" when cold after 1 month.

A few questions ...

1) why is it that mostly the rears start knocking (in my limited experience), while I would think the fronts are doing a bit more work ?

2) what exactly causes the knocking ?

3) could it be related to the quality of the top mounts ?

4) can I just live with it, or is it damaging to the dampers in a way ?

Apart from the knocking, I'm rather satisfied with the DMS, as they really go from "rather comfy" (normal road use, about 17 clicks) to "great on track" (24 clicks worked very well at Zolder this week).

Oh and a last question: Why do they get quiter when you spray a bit of WD40 at the point where the damper enters the strut ?

Theo
Old 22 October 2001, 09:48 PM
Scooby South
Scooby Regular

Quicky question...
How much is a LEDA B Rebuild???? I have had mine for 1 year and about 14000 miles on them... I don't think I need one but just for my own reference...How do you know when its time to rebuild???? Thanks
Scooby South
Old 30 October 2001, 01:42 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
I've had the Leda B for about 3 years now. Whilst the inherent knocking noise can drive you round the bend (no pun intended) it seems to have little effect on the performance.

I've had to have several rebuilds on mine (in 30k mls) from worn internals, corroded shafts, to leaking seals. However, the service Leda offer is fist class.

Pete,

Why the heck can we get oils for our engines that are good for -20 to +130deg'C, but not a suitable oil to work in the 20 ~ 80 deg' range for shocks ???

I think like most things, you get what you pay for (Prodrive aside). DMS have a fantastic reputation for perfomance, and quality, and the "ride" is down to the spring rates you choose. Proflex are in a different world. Whilst their "basic" set start at about £1200, the next set up (same features as Leda B) are about £4000, and are used in "serious" competition.

Mark.

Old 30 October 2001, 10:14 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Mark

I guess its down to the base viscocity and what they can do from there. The oils used are very runny, more like "3in1" than engine oil.

Both Leda and Ohlins use Silkolene damper oil and this is alledgedly the best currently available.
Old 04 November 2001, 09:14 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

The knocking sound you are hearing is the top hat bushes, replacing them with Nolathane or similar eliminates the problem!!!

Dan
Old 05 November 2001, 04:50 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Dan,

Would the STi items classify under "uprated" (I have a UK model), or are there better alternatives ?

Thanks,

Theo
Old 08 November 2001, 11:21 AM
bsquare
Scooby Newbie

I've had DMS 50mm struts on my car for about 15 months and I am quite pleased with them. At their softer settings, I'm certain they are up to the task of British roads, and at their stiffer settings they are marvelous on a track. If the price of the 50mm kit puts you off, look at the 40mm DMS Gold kits. Someone just won STS class in ProSolo using them.

I recently had one of my struts rebuilt after a car drive into the rear left wheel at a fair clip. The strut body was twisted, but all the other parts were retained and put into a new body. DMS struts are definitely not scrap when they get rebuilt.

I concur with those who have suggested you go try different suspension systems. A lot of the decision comes to personal preference, as all the systems you listed have their advocates and detractors.

Ben