Notices

Tramlining in MY01

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2001, 11:44 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any recommendations to address annoying tramlining on MY01 WRX?

Car has standard 17' wheels and tyres but has the Subaru sports suspension fitted. Had the geometry reset (as they were way out)to Subaru specifications by dealer recently, but has not made any appreciable difference
Old 15 September 2001, 09:04 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by haynesaj:
<B>Anyone got any recommendations to address annoying tramlining on MY01 WRX?

Car has standard 17' wheels and tyres but has the Subaru sports suspension fitted. Had the geometry reset (as they were way out)to Subaru specifications by dealer recently, but has not made any appreciable difference[/quote]

I think your tyres are the problem - try something other than the OEM and they should be better.

A lot of people on this board who own a MY01 have asked about the Subaru fitted suspension - but your the first one to get it done.

Any chance you could start a thread with your comments as im sure there would be a lot of interest. Whats it like???

Jza
Old 15 September 2001, 10:49 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking about this lately..

This is my own theory, so it is not gospel...

I believe that tramlining is caused by the same effects that cause camber thrust.

If you have a tyre at a camber, the tyre generates a force when rolling towards the direction of the camber (with negative camber the tyre produces a force inwards).

The force is created because the bit of tyre which is just about to meet the ground is slightly to one side of the contact patch.

In theory, the lower the tyre pressure, the more offset this new bit of tyre would be. BUT.. there may be a complication in that the lower the pressure the less self aligning torque there would be (maybe?? - but let's ignore that).

so..

as a tyre rolls over a bit of ground which is not level, it effectively has a camber in relation to the ground, which causes that force.

For this reason, it might be worth trying to increase your pressures and see if that reduces the tramlining slightly.

It's worth a try, and it would be great if you could let us know. Obviously be very careful though.

All the best

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 15 September 2001).]