Notices

Shock absorber change & alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2003, 08:31 AM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am about to change from OEM shocks to Koni adjustable replacement inserts while keeping the OEM springs. Do I need to redo my alignment after the change?

Thanks.
Old 03 December 2003, 10:30 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

It would be a very good idea to do so. You'll still be using the original camber adjusting bolts at the front, and they are not easy to get back exactly as they were.

This will obviously affect the front camber, and will also affect the front toe settings. Rear toe settings are adjusted from the centre of the rear arms, so this should remain unchanged.

If you were to borrow/buy/make a camber gauge, then you could probably get by without a complete realignment, assuming it was set up properly before you started and you're not changing the ride height.
Old 03 December 2003, 04:34 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

dnb, thanks for the advice. I asked cos I have just done an alignment check after bursting two tyres over a pothole and thought I can save a few bucks. I am not changing the shocks myself, but from the DIY links I have seen, the tie rods were not touched. I suppose the camber would be affected when the three bolts that secure the shocks to its top mounting were detached.
I am getting the shocks done at a non-dealer workshop and they don't have the alignment equipment, so got to go back to the dealer's to get that part done, but it is cheap enough at around 14 quids, even at dealer's hourly rates.

[Edited by lokokkee - 12/4/2003 2:26:24 AM]
Old 03 December 2003, 07:38 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

It's the bottom bolt that adjusts the camber. If you mark the cambered bolt before you remove it you should be able to get it back on prtty close to before. I would still get it checked to be sure though

Toe won't be affected on front or rear!

[Edited by Dyney - 12/3/2003 7:58:42 PM]
Old 03 December 2003, 08:09 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Dyney - IIRC the track rod ends aren't quite horizontally in line with the wheel centre, therefore toe is affected if you don't get the camber right... Admittedly, it is by a very small amount (probably less than the runout on the wheels ).

I'll have to go and have a look now - just to make sure!!

Oh, and lining up the bolts isn't that difficult, neither is making a camber gauge from a spirit level, tape measure and tri-square
Old 04 December 2003, 09:35 AM
rob@supertracker
Scooby Newbie

If you change the ride height of a vehicle or replace the Shocks. You must. I rereat you must get it re aligned. If you change the Camber Angles it will have a dramatic effect on the Toe. The first thing you will note is the inside or outside edges wearing. The vehicle may also feel very skittish (twitchy).

You may save money in the short term. But you run a very real risk of ******** your tyres. When you consider how much did you pay for Tyres, it make an Alignment good value for money
Old 04 December 2003, 04:02 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I'll get the alignment done after the change, no problem, considering that I get around 30k miles per set of Bridgestone tyres.