Notices

Droplink geometry change?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 06:42 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed,

Powerstation fitted my arb on lowest setting with Powerflex droplinks. You should have no problem doing the same.

With the middle arb setting you are sacrifycing some of the improved rear stiffness and hence reduced understeer.

Get it done mate

Paul

PS. Both TSL & Powerstation confirmed that geometry is not affected by changing rear droplinks. If you think about it, there is no way that these could affect castor, camber nor toe

[Edited by Paul N P - 6/3/2003 6:46:36 PM]
Old 02 June 2003, 05:53 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Question

I noticed that the powerflex solid rear links are shorter than the standard plastic ones, which meant adjusting my whiteline rollbar to fit.

I've stuck it back on the middle setting but with the dropping of the ARB to fit the smaller links, surely the centre setting is now basically where the rear setting was, if you see what I mean?

Any thoughts?
Old 02 June 2003, 11:14 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Edcase,

I'm not too hot on adjustable ARBs / settings but when I fitted my Powerflex droplinks onto my MY02 (std ARB), I just hung on my original ARB to deflect it to refit the bolts. IMO this is what the droplinks do - they preload the ARB by reducing the distance needed (body roll amount) to feel the effect of the ARB - they don't alter its rate, hence the tauter feeling at the back end as the car rolls "less."

If you've adjusted the arb to take up the gap, I don't see what benefit you'll get as you're not preloading the bar - all you're doing is setting the new "zero" position to the droplinks size rather than have the droplinks make an offset / create a preload.

As for geometry, AFAIR TSL said that you don't need to reset things if you're just fitting droplinks and when Powerstation did my geometry after fitting some springs, I think they didn't alter the rear settings...

HTH or it's as clear as mud

Apple
Old 03 June 2003, 11:10 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
No I left the arb on the same setting, and therefore have created the preload by moving the arb.

Should be interesting to see the difference.
Old 03 June 2003, 09:58 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Red face

Have you guys had any problems with the link hitting/touching the wishbone?

I fitted mine and notice as the car was lowered with the jack onto its wheels, the links got closer to the wishbone.

H
Old 04 June 2003, 12:43 AM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Hi, Edcase here on pauls machine. Nope, definitely closer, but had a spirited run tonight and checked it and no touches at all. Rear end definitely feeling more stable and I am now literally getting NO understeer with my current setup!

Very very pleased

Track day on friday....should be interesting.