Notices

Suspension and handling advice for a blob

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2016, 11:40 AM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension and handling advice for a blob

The STI Widetrack's shock are (surprise surprise) shagged!

I'm almost certainly getting a set of Meister Zeta CRD+, would love to hear thoughts on other mods / repairs that a 100,000 mile car would benefit from. The car is largely stock, on the original 17"s with a standard ride height.

I'm thinking new bushings to the steering rack would help.

Not convinced anti roll bars would help - don't want it to ride too firmly and become skittish on fast country lanes.

Any other thoughts guys? WOuld love to hear what works for you.

p.s - I don't track the car but I do carry a toddler around so nothing too firm lol
Old 08 July 2016, 05:11 PM
Scooby_Lee101
Scooby Regular

Hi.

I have a blobeye 53 plate, so a non wide track, but i have completed a few choice mods to the suspension.

I opted for tein S springs all 4 corners, with KYB SR Ultra rear shocks (both were shagged) also i opted for a whiteline 22mm rear ARB, with drop links.

The ride for me is perfect, holds my 413bhp on the road perfectly, does not comprise the normal road driving.
Old 14 July 2016, 02:08 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_Lee101
Hi.

I have a blobeye 53 plate, so a non wide track, but i have completed a few choice mods to the suspension.

I opted for tein S springs all 4 corners, with KYB SR Ultra rear shocks (both were shagged) also i opted for a whiteline 22mm rear ARB, with drop links.

The ride for me is perfect, holds my 413bhp on the road perfectly, does not comprise the normal road driving.
Thanks.

Weren't you tempted to get coilovers?
Old 14 July 2016, 06:53 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Coilovers can be abit harsh, especially with potholes, speed bumps etc. Might be abit different on a more expensive set though
Old 03 August 2016, 07:32 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the reason coilovers are used so much is that its a fit and forget procedure-remove old suspension fit new coilovers job done - recently been looking at refreshing my tired bcs myself
-decent quality springs shocks and group n top mounts are almost exactly the same price as the meister r coilies-height adjustment does,nt involve new springs every time with the coilies either-- screw mount up or down to acheive desired height.

on small bumps and ridges in the road the coilies are just about acceptable.. on very poor roads the crashing over(solid top mount remember)deeper ridges and ruts is nowhere near as comfy as a lowered shock/ coil set up. got fed up with never getting the spring and shock combo quite right with uprated shocks and springs. so will probably try the meister r kit myself.
the anti roll bar mods especially the rear changes the front feel and turn in and counters a little under steer .the trick is not to go too stiff ,my classic had a 20mm adjustable bar at the rear and that was spot on.

Last edited by madwrx; 03 August 2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12 August 2016, 11:08 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

If your fitting coilovers you should also fit the roll centre kit. Another mod is the Anti Lift Kit (ALK) this aids grip on acceleration.
Old 12 August 2016, 11:21 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
If your fitting coilovers you should also fit the roll centre kit. Another mod is the Anti Lift Kit (ALK) this aids grip on acceleration.
Why?

Don't modify a car for no good reason.
Old 12 August 2016, 11:36 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by romford-boy
Why?

Don't modify a car for no good reason.
Originally Posted by Whiteline
Whiteline roll center and bump steer correction kits are designed to raise the front roll-centre geometry, by using specially engineered ball-joints and tie rod ends while still maintaining original steering geometry.

FRONT ROLL GEOMETRY ACTUALLY ENCOURAGES ROLL THE LOWER YOU GO

Our R+D testing across a number of platforms showed that raising the front roll-center on lowered vehicles resulted in a substantial increase to front roll resistance and a significant reduction in suspension compression of the outside front wheel during cornering (less roll).

This improves weight distribution, maintains a better camber angle and ultimately improves front grip. The overall outcome is significantly reduced understeer through reduced front wheel compression, as well as improved steering feel, steering precision and vehicle stability.

Fitting a Whiteline roll center and bump steer correction kit is a must for lowered vehicles.
Stolen from the whiteline website as it explains it better than i can
Old 13 August 2016, 08:59 AM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
Stolen from the whiteline website as it explains it better than i can
There is a good thread somewhere on this forum that explains the white line ALK and that it actually increases lift in aid of transferring more weight on to the tyres for better grip