Notices
Subaru Parts This forum contains Subaru parts offered for sale by our members only.

Afterburner back box swap

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2011, 10:58 AM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afterburner back box swap

Hi,

I have an after burner back box on my scoob. I'm going decat and the back box will be too loud. Can't be bothered with a bung so looking to swap for a quieter back box. Open to offers but must be able to meet up with an afterburner de res centre section.

Also must be able to swap on the day as it is on my car and I don't have a replacement.

Looking for something that is a little louder than standard but that wont give me a headache on the motorway.

Thanks

John

P.S. I have an 03 JDM STI

Last edited by Daphne01; 09 November 2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot to say what car
Old 09 November 2011, 11:14 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Shame my Miltek won't match up as I really want a little more noise
Old 09 November 2011, 11:42 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

I've got a prodrive backbox on mine that is attached to an afterburner non resonated centre section at the moment. Backbox is in good condition.

Let me know if your interested. I'm in Reading, so not to far away.

Jamie
Old 09 November 2011, 11:50 AM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martin850
Shame my Miltek won't match up as I really want a little more noise
A shame buddy, I've heard good things about the miltek. will it not match up due to width (ie 3" to 2.5") or length of sections

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
I've got a prodrive backbox on mine that is attached to an afterburner non resonated centre section at the moment. Backbox is in good condition.

Let me know if your interested. I'm in Reading, so not to far away.

Jamie
Hi Jamie, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I do worry that it will be too quiet, I'm looking for a decent half way house. I travel to Bristol every now and again so it might be convenient. Have you got a vid of your exhaust in action? What setup are you running?
Old 09 November 2011, 12:26 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daphne01
Hi Jamie, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I do worry that it will be too quiet, I'm looking for a decent half way house. I travel to Bristol every now and again so it might be convenient. Have you got a vid of your exhaust in action? What setup are you running?
Hi John.

I haven't got any vids, but I can take one later on. I've got the standard wrx down pipe, prodrive 2nd decat, afterburner non res centre section and prodrive back box. So the only cats I have are in the up and down pipe.

It's ok on long runs and not at all loud or gives and cabin drone. You can Definately hear the rumble when your giving it some stick!

Just noticed that you have a JDM STI. Is it the same backbox fit as the uk car?
Old 09 November 2011, 12:40 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Daphne01;10323284]A shame buddy, I've heard good things about the miltek. will it not match up due to width (ie 3" to 2.5") or length of sections

I have heard of people who have the afterburner fitting them onto Miltek systems but I believe it is with a bit of modifiying. I couldn't say for sure if the Miltek backbox would fit onto an afterburner centre section either

The Miltek system is only three prices from the turbo back so each section is a different length to other ones.

Is your afterburner a 2.5" or 3"?
Old 09 November 2011, 01:10 PM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=martin850;10323336]
A shame buddy, I've heard good things about the miltek. will it not match up due to width (ie 3" to 2.5") or length of sections

I have heard of people who have the afterburner fitting them onto Miltek systems but I believe it is with a bit of modifiying. I couldn't say for sure if the Miltek backbox would fit onto an afterburner centre section either

The Miltek system is only three prices from the turbo back so each section is a different length to other ones.

Is your afterburner a 2.5" or 3"?
2.5 mate. I've definitely got 4 sections from the turbo back. I can't imagine it will fit without some bodging. I'll keep it in mind buddy, if you find out that it works let me know.
Old 09 November 2011, 01:43 PM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
Hi John.

I haven't got any vids, but I can take one later on. I've got the standard wrx down pipe, prodrive 2nd decat, afterburner non res centre section and prodrive back box. So the only cats I have are in the up and down pipe.

It's ok on long runs and not at all loud or gives and cabin drone. You can Definately hear the rumble when your giving it some stick!

Just noticed that you have a JDM STI. Is it the same backbox fit as the uk car?
The only difference that I'm aware of is the shape of the down pipe mouth. I "believe" that everything else is the same. Pop a vid up. As I'm going decat it will be a little louder.
Old 09 November 2011, 01:52 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

The only difference that I'm aware of is the shape of the down pipe mouth. I "believe" that everything else is the same. Pop a vid up. As I'm going decat it will be a little louder.
Ok bud will do, I'll try and do it when I get home this evening.

Yep I think it should be the perfect balance fully decatted. Quiet enough on long journeys but loud enough when you want it to be
Old 09 November 2011, 11:11 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Taken some videos mate:

2nd video I'm at around 2.5 - 3k rpm as I drive past.

Last edited by Berks-Jack; 09 November 2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Video link not working
Old 09 November 2011, 11:25 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

John,

I can't get the link to photobucket to work for some reason. Pm me your email address mate and I'll send te videos across to you.

Jamie