Styling Exterior styling

lechler clear coats?

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2010, 10:23 PM
vtaBlix
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lechler clear coats?

Hi there I am a total noob and need to find a clear coat to airbrush. One problem is I only have a 3M organic vapour filter mask and I hear that 2k / 2 part clears are very toxic and need air fed masks I just cant afford one for now . So what I was wondering is if I could use 01230 Acrifan 1K Clear with my 3M mask? Or are all lechler clear coats too toxic? Lechler dont seem to want to answer my email about this although I did get some response on other things. Also the health and saftey sheets dont say anything about this . If I cant go with letchler I would love to hear what is the best for my situation ah yes and I live in the UK...Thanks!
Old 05 August 2010, 11:48 PM
BHP_Alex
Scooby Regular

i recently did 4 layers of lechler 2k clear coat on a classic mini with only standard mask i all ok i think lol that was after 5 layers of gloss black 2k lechler lol
Old 06 August 2010, 12:14 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt worry with the small amount you'll be spraying mate,if you were doing full car spray jobs then id say no
Old 06 August 2010, 11:32 AM
vtaBlix
Scooby Newbie

4 layers eek :S well sounds dodgy I saw someone in this forum warning against using anything but an air fed mask as well as lechler them selves warning about it :S . But still not sure about the 1k / 1 part products ....any other suggestions for clear coats you can buy in the uk that are safe with a organic vapour filter mask? Thanks!
Old 06 August 2010, 06:25 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vtaBlix
4 layers eek :S well sounds dodgy I saw someone in this forum warning against using anything but an air fed mask as well as lechler them selves warning about it :S . But still not sure about the 1k / 1 part products ....any other suggestions for clear coats you can buy in the uk that are safe with a organic vapour filter mask? Thanks!
Maxmeyer 0300 with 2730 hardener mate is ok,just add abit of fade out thinner and it will flow real nice and shine like hell
Old 06 August 2010, 11:14 PM
vtaBlix
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Maxmeyer 0300 with 2730 hardener mate is ok,just add abit of fade out thinner and it will flow real nice and shine like hell
Well it seems that maxmeyer is the same all the 2 part clears are very toxic and they recommend air fed masks! So be careful! But as with lots of these things I wonder if its just big company policy and its actually perfectly fine using a organic vapour filter half mask in a ventilated room :S . I
just cant get the info for sure its annoyingly difficult! Just dont want to end up finding out in 20 years it was the wrong move :O still searching for rock hard info but I think I will be looking a long time...
Old 07 August 2010, 11:07 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used to work at an Automotive refinishers supplier, and alot of painters just used a 3M 'fly' mask. Part number 06941 (i think!).

Most things are pretty toxic when atomised through a spray gun and inhailed! But with a half decent mask you should be ok.
Old 07 August 2010, 02:17 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

You can get the masks with replaceble filters for not a lot of cash, got to be better than the 'fly' type masks. So long as you can't smell the paint with it on you should be fine as the filter is doing its job. As soon as you can smell the paint its time to replace the filter.
Old 07 August 2010, 03:15 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

well the 3M fly mask is that, apart from its disposable, so rather than changing filters you throw it away.

otherwise something like a Moldex 8000 series mask would do, which is a longer lasting mask.

At least then you can run pre-filters also if you want.
Old 07 August 2010, 03:26 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fmp
well the 3M fly mask is that
Ahh fair plays
Old 07 August 2010, 06:02 PM
BHP_Alex
Scooby Regular

that be what i used when spraying just the mask but has 2 replaceable filters i just doubled them up, soz should have said in first post some may have thought disposable lol
Old 07 August 2010, 07:49 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

Yes you are surposed to use a full face air fed mask when spraying any 2k paint as HS state you don't just inhail it it can also get into you threw your eyes!!!!!!

But the painter at work always used a normal decent mask with filters in, he hated the air fed mask as it restricted his view and got glare off the visor, so i would say you would be ok with a normal mask specialy if your doing a small amount
Old 08 August 2010, 11:49 AM
vtaBlix
Scooby Newbie

Yep cool thanks yes I got the 3M detachable filters 6051 A1 . Ah yes eye protection wasnt thinking that would be so bad. Hmmm do you think the 1k/1 part ones are perfectly fine or much better with a half mask? I was looking at lechler acrifan or similar but not sure how hard it is - dont need it to be ultra hard but would be nice if it were poly urethane or something. Thanks!