Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Another Car Polish Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2003, 03:07 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, having read the other Car Polish thread about Zymol I am not unsure as to what polish to buy...

I currently use Autoglym and it will not shift the Swirl Marks, and on a Gloss Black car it looks horrible on a sunny day, even under a street light you can see the swirls...

Autoglym gets it slightly shiny but doesnt remove the marks, like it says it does!!

Colour Black, doesnt either...

Will Zymol work? Also whats this about "Real Zymol"??

Also heard that Cartec Wax Guard works a treat, but cant find anywhere to sell that to me?!

Are there any other brands that are PROVEN to do what they say they will?? (Remove Swirls Marks and Light Scratches)

I really do need some help as my car looks terrible on a sunny day and now its summer, there is a chance of a sunny day or two...

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 May 2003, 03:25 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

mark@swissol.com

Give mark a shout. You will not be disappointed.

Old 05 May 2003, 05:35 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Regarding 'real Zymol' and 'Halfords' Zymol' - the Zymol polish sold in Halfords is £11.99 and is applied in a similar fashion to brands like Autoglym and Mer.

'Real Zymol' (sorry for the confusion, it was me that started calling it this in the other thread) is sold (I think) only through zymol.co.uk and is a lot more expensive. The prices seem to start at £39 and rise to £1,347! Also, I think there is a lot more preparation required with these such as 'cleansing' and 'feeding' the paint. It's a bit different to just washing and waxing that's for sure!

I've never used the latter, so don't take what I've written here as gospel, it's just what I've figured out from looking on the web.

[Edited by Butkus - 5/5/2003 5:36:45 PM]
Old 05 May 2003, 05:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

so theres 2 makes of polish called the same name, or are they diff variants of the same make?
Old 05 May 2003, 06:04 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Go to zymol.co.uk.... Find the forum section (drop down menu under 'home'). Go to 'Open topic discussion' and find the thread called 'Zymol Inc. to supply UK Halfords.' They discuss it there. From what I can tell, they are trying to distance themselves from the stuff sold in Halfords.

However, the bottles I bought in Halfords yesterday have the www.zymol.co.uk web address on them, so I don't really get it.

Confused? Me too....
Old 05 May 2003, 07:25 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I got some of this stuff as it came highly recommended, and it is excellent, cheap too and used by Porsche,

http://www.iauto.co.uk/system/index.htm

Sorry, dont know how to make it clicky as I am technilogically inept!
Old 05 May 2003, 08:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Don't know if any of you guys have tried it yet, but me, my dad, his dad and adam (when eve had finished with him) have always used Simoniz Original. It's the one in the old fashioned yellow tin for about a fiver.
It's a real wax polish containing carnuba wax, and no silicon rubbish.
It's a time consuming and tiring job applying it (2 full coats on a cool day should take about 6 hours) but once on it gleams, you'll swear when it rains you can see it ripple, and it should last about 4-6 months.
Only downside is it's hard to find and, given that Holts have bought Simoniz, it'll probably get discontinued as a poor seller ( most people won't try it 'cos they're scared of hard work).
It's so good I use it on my wood floors, and the old man does his mahogany dining table with it.
I haven't tried these Zymol things, but at those prices I'll stick with what I know. I certainly get plenty of admiring comments on sunny days. And some people notice my shiny car too! HoHo! Sorry.
Old 05 May 2003, 09:15 PM
trugoy
Scooby Regular

one night when too much booze and internet shopping were accidently put in the same mixer I found a printout the next day for a Swissol Samuri Starter pack from scoobyworld that cost me £123.00 (115+del). I had no idea what this was as I squinted at it on my printer tray the next day so I looked on the scoobyworld wedsite and found I had just payed over a hundred quid to wash my car! First reaction, better call and cancel that order sharpish but I found myself rather curious as to how car cleaner could possibly cost so much so looked around on the net. An hour or so later I saw the sense in my drunken purchase and decided to give it a stab, it came last week (took ages to arrive) and I spent the best part of today, about five hours, washing, appling cleaner fluid and waxing the scoob. I can honestly say it is phenomonal stuff, it is really expensive but I have rarely seen a car look so good, if you drink a silly ammount of booze right now, enough to justify this ridiculous expense but not so much you can't see and type (or you'll not be able to order it!), I promise you, in a few weeks when it arrives and your elbows and wrists feel ready to drop off from application you will be chuffed with the results.
Old 05 May 2003, 09:57 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

OK...

Got an E-mail back from Mark @ Swissol, and he sent me the price list for his products which looks alright...

Only thing is that there are about 8 different waxes to choose from, I assume that Concourso (Concours) Wax gives it that "cha-ching", blinding shine??

Which ones will I need to get Swirl Marks out, I have sent Mark an e-mail but was wondering if anyone could help me out just now...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 May 2003, 09:59 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

....... also, is there a website for these products??

I would be interested in seeing some pics of people's cars after they had used the products if anyone can post a few pics!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 May 2003, 10:10 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

Cool

Grant

it depends on what car you have for what Swissol kit to buy.

I bought "shield" as it has Teflon. I live in the country and I have "FLIES, flies, flies........", they used to give me nightmares until I use the shield kit.

Now I just laugh as they float off the front of the car at weekends....not to mention the shine !!

I think they do waxes for Japanese paint and others, must admit I did wonder what the Divine wax was for £1200 (including wooden presentation box)!!

I'm sure Mark can help if you tell him which car you have

Midlife...
Old 05 May 2003, 10:23 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers mate...

Flies are a prob for me too, I dont live in the country, but have been known to venture out into it to find some good driving roads!!

Will hopefully get a reply from Mark tomorrow...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 May 2003, 11:22 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tried the Williams F1 team stuff now in Halfords? Their polish has carnuba wax in it, I nearly bought some today. However I did buy the Williamd F1 instant showroom finish suff, in a sqirty bottle.

At fist I was struggling due to putting too much on, then I got the hang of it and the results soomed good, except that it didnt relly clean off the tree sap etc like normal wax does.

Still if you wash regularly this good be a good quick polish typpe treatment.
Old 07 May 2003, 12:34 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Ok, just to report that I bought some Zymol Wax from halfords today and thought I would give it a shot before I spent 100quid+ on cleaning stuff for my car and **** me if it isn't the best stuff that I have ever used!!

If you only wax then buff it off then the finish isnt great, however if you do as it says and leave a fine mist of water over the buffed area then buff that off with a clean soft cloth then you get an absolutely amazing finish, it took out 85-90% of my swirl marks on my car and on the small patch that I re-applied it for the 2nd time it took all marks out of it.

I had already spent 5 hours washing and waxing it so couldnt justify anymore time to re-do a 2nd coat on the rest of the car but cant wait till I do because the paint will look factory fresh again!!

Awesome stuff, billy bargain prices, and a nice(ish) smell, however after a couple of hours it gets a little sickly!!

Hope this wee report helps you make your decision about waxing your car.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 07 May 2003, 06:37 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

I picked some up today - £12 for a bottle, which I thought was OK. Smell wierd. Will try it at some point. Nice blue colour too.
Old 07 May 2003, 11:14 PM
evo2scoob1
Scooby Regular

why not get some pics of the cars, so to show the effort and time spent on them for all to see.
Old 08 May 2003, 12:09 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

If these photos come out then thats good, if not then use the URL to find them yourself...

This is my car, not too sure if you can make out the shine from these pics properly but believe me, the difference between before and after is huge!!! If you do as it says on the bottle then you wont be disappointed, trust me!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 09 May 2003, 12:45 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Nice little report mate.

How easy was it to apply the stuff? You said you spent 5 hours on it, was it hard work getting rid of those swirls? It sounds like pretty good value for money.
Old 10 May 2003, 09:43 AM
evo2scoob1
Scooby Regular

NICE WORK RS GRANT!!!!

ITS BETTER TO SEE THE RESULTS THAN READ ABOUT IT.
Old 11 May 2003, 06:36 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, it took 5 hours cause I did one panel at a time fully (wet it and buffed it, etc)...

I did it last night in about 2.5-3hrs, that was washing the whole car, drying it and applying the polish then wetting it then buffing it up again. It takes minimal effort to apply, however I did push fairly hard just to make sure that it was effective with the swirls, buffing is minimal effort and wetting and buffing again is easy enough, its just the time that it takes to do this which some may see as a drawback...

All I can say is that this stuff just gets better and better the more you use it, its got such a deep shine now and today @ Crail I was asked if it had been in for a respray; told that it was the nicest RS Turbo there; also told that it should be in the show and shine arena; I am sooo happy with it. I cant describe the difference, thats why I put up the pics, however I really wish that I had put up before pics as well cause its a transformation!

The swirl marks were bad before and in direct sunlight the car looked awful, even under a street light you could see the swirls which was terrible.

Now, even in strong sunlight, there is only an extremely small amount of swirls visible which is less than after the 1st application, so I think that after I wax it again all the marks should have gone and it will look even better!!

I will never use Autoglym again, this stuff is the only stuff I will use from now on and gives great results for a great price!!

Cheers,
Grant

P.S - I could go on and on and on about this stuff all day long!!
Old 11 May 2003, 11:50 PM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

both Zymol and "real Zymol" are made and sold by the same co.
I think some peeps are using the term "real" to justify the £100's spent on the full system. Admittedly tho', I've done my car in Halford's Zymol and was well chuffed, best stuff I've ever used, but when parked next to a car that's been fully Zymoled with the kit, you can see they've got their monies worth
Old 12 May 2003, 05:25 PM
Alex Creasey
Scooby Regular

Smile

The "real" Zymol is still Zymol as it always has been. Whereas the Halfords Zymol is Turtle Wax product made for Zymol + rebottled. It's still Zymol but, just their attempt at breaking the entry level market......From what I'm told of course....
Cheers
Old 12 May 2003, 08:36 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

The halfords stuff is excellent IMO - I may branch to the real stuff once that pools win comes in. I have a black scoob and the paintwork isnt the best, but zymol brough it up a treat and i smelt good to the bird for a few hours LOL!!