Sport General sport discussion

I don't get it...

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2009, 07:52 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't get it...

This Kaka deal. How is it actually a "World record transfer" fee, when Real paid Juve more Euro's for Zidane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_(football)

It's the highest fee in terms of £ sterling, yes, but the world doesn't work in sterling does it

Just had this pointed out by a stock broker mate of mine thats all.

Thoughts?
Old 09 June 2009, 09:18 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

It's not a World Record: we can even blame that on Gordon Brown, thanks to his puny pound.

Good luck to Kaka though: anyone remember the winter transfer window Man City saga? Here's some of Kaka's quotes about that from less than 5 months ago:

1) "To have gone to Manchester City could have been a great project but in the past few days I have prayed a lot to understand what the right team would be and in the end I have decided to remain here."

= "God got it wrong then".

2) "I don't want anything else, I just want to be well and be happy in the place where people love me."

= "Manchester's too cold and wet."

3) "From this story I have understood how people love me at Milan, the fans and my team-mates have helped me make this choice."

= "I really couldn't care less about any of them, despite the saintly image I portray. Just show me the money!"

4) "I have remained with the team where I am linked by heart."

= "I'll hang on till the summer to see who qualifies for the CL"

5) "Milan is my home, where I am close to and where my heart really is. That is what made me take this decision."

= "my agent/father has been tapped up by one of the Real Madrid presidential candidates and told to expect a windfall payout if I hang on at Milan until the summer "

Everyone's entitled to change their minds I guess!
Old 09 June 2009, 09:40 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
It's not a World Record: we can even blame that on Gordon Brown, thanks to his puny pound.

Good luck to Kaka though: anyone remember the winter transfer window Man City saga? Here's some of Kaka's quotes about that from less than 5 months ago:

1) "To have gone to Manchester City could have been a great project but in the past few days I have prayed a lot to understand what the right team would be and in the end I have decided to remain here."

= "God got it wrong then".

2) "I don't want anything else, I just want to be well and be happy in the place where people love me."

= "Manchester's too cold and wet."

3) "From this story I have understood how people love me at Milan, the fans and my team-mates have helped me make this choice."

= "I really couldn't care less about any of them, despite the saintly image I portray. Just show me the money!"

4) "I have remained with the team where I am linked by heart."

= "I'll hang on till the summer to see who qualifies for the CL"

5) "Milan is my home, where I am close to and where my heart really is. That is what made me take this decision."

= "my agent/father has been tapped up by one of the Real Madrid presidential candidates and told to expect a windfall payout if I hang on at Milan until the summer "

Everyone's entitled to change their minds I guess!
Pretty good...........unfortunately it could apply to 90% of players in the prem.

Which is why I repeat: dump the prem, support your LOCAL team. Don't be a sheep, be a lion! If you want prem, buy "football manager" game, it bears about as much relation to reality
Old 09 June 2009, 09:45 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Nearly forgot to add:

"Mr Berlusconi told me to hang on until the day after the Euro Elections in June before cashing in on me"
Old 09 June 2009, 09:52 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

For 200k a week after tax would you not go? I know i would
Old 09 June 2009, 10:00 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

he's spent 7 years at AC Milan, thats pretty good service. The Italian league is no longer a strong one and Real are one of most decorated European teams in footballing history. Sounds like an obvious choice, other than beside Gerrard in midfield of course.
Old 09 June 2009, 10:01 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
For 200k a week after tax would you not go? I know i would
You bet: if Graeme Souness was in charge there I bet I'd at least stay on the Madrid pay-roll until mid-September before he realised I couldn't play for toffee. That would be about 14 weeks @ 200k per week = 2.8 million!

No need to work again after that.

Souness for Real!!

PS: for those who don't remember the story (from wiki):

"Souness then returned to England to manage Southampton, but after one season he resigned, citing differences with chairman Rupert Lowe. Probably his most memorable moment was signing Senegalese player Ali Dia, supposedly on the recommendation of former FIFA World Player of the Year and former Liberian striker George Weah. This proved to be a hoax, as when Ali Dia played his only game in the English Premiership as a substitute for Matt Le Tissier, he performed amazingly poorly, and was later substituted himself."
Old 09 June 2009, 11:31 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash1
Real are one of most decorated European teams in footballing history.
That's true, but let's not forget Man City's own long and illustrious tradition in European football. Cup Winners' Cup conquerors in 1970 and a UEFA Cup Quarter Final as recently as this year!

Seriously though, Real have been nowhere in recent seasons when it comes to Champions League success. They've failed to get beyond the Last 16 for the last 5 consecutive seasons, culminating in the 0-5 aggregate drubbing by Liverpool this year.

I know they have this aura of invincibility, great wealth and are always vying for the unofficial title of the Biggest Club in the World, but recent CL results put them way down the pecking order and certainly far behind their Catalan rivals.
Old 09 June 2009, 11:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

He's gone to a relatively weak league other than Barca. Real lost their last 5 games in a row and still comfortably finished 2nd in the league. Not a chance you could do that in the Prem and expect to be anywhere near 2nd. You'd be pushed to make 4th at best with that form.