Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2008, 03:39 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatton V Lazcano - 24th May

Predictions on this anyone?

Personally I think Hatton will do the job - KO by 8/10th round

He might have just recovered from a chest infection but the guy looks in great shape, cant see anything holding him back on this fight

A great undercard too, inc Matthew Hatton

Roll on sat, when i'll be sat pitch side
Old 20 May 2008, 04:25 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to knock back an all expenses paid trip and tickets for this fight, absolutely gutted

8th rnd KO for Hatton
Old 20 May 2008, 04:35 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I had to knock back an all expenses paid trip and tickets for this fight, absolutely gutted

8th rnd KO for Hatton
What do you mean you had to? (no explaination required really)

Hatton to win before the 8th I reckon. Maybe 6th
Old 20 May 2008, 05:06 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Previous family engagement Dave, it was one of those moments where you know you're doing something but you can't quite remember what, you get all excited then it slowly dawns on you, and the feeling gets worse and worse once you realise what you're giving away.

That was worse than having to knock back a week in Thailand c/o Thai Airways last year, so the Sales manager says to me, don't worry your spend with us is in the top 5 clients you can come next year, I doubt if we are even top 20 now lol, suffice to say I wasn't invited this year.
Old 21 May 2008, 12:12 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Personally, I dont think Hatton will have any problems with Lazcano

Lazcano's an aggressive little ******, but he hasnt fought for 15 months & I think Hatton's loss has made him even hungrier for a win, therefore it'll wont last long

Not many boxing pundits on here is there?
Old 23 May 2008, 05:12 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMA26
Personally, I dont think Hatton will have any problems with Lazcano

Lazcano's an aggressive little ******, but he hasnt fought for 15 months & I think Hatton's loss has made him even hungrier for a win, therefore it'll wont last long

Not many boxing pundits on here is there?
Hope you're right.

What time is the fight on Sky Box Office? Checked the sky sight and couldn't find it.

(Just have to find someone who has sky and is watching it now )
Old 23 May 2008, 08:24 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

sky coverage starts at 7.30pm

i will be watching it, come round to mine if you want
Old 23 May 2008, 09:20 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

as said the bloke hasnt fought for ages and likes to come in close so it will be Hattons advantage.

his hunger to do well infront of home crowd should/will make this a one sided fight. down in the 7th

there's only one Ricky Hatton!!!!!!
Old 23 May 2008, 11:54 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete higham
sky coverage starts at 7.30pm

i will be watching it, come round to mine if you want
Cool!

This time can you get better nibbles. Scampi fries are so 90's.
Old 27 May 2008, 08:07 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

What a fantastic night on Saturday!!

Been on the beer all weekend, feeling it today!!

Hatton certainly came through but Lazcano can certainly take some punishment

Have some vids from my phone which I’ll upload at some stage for anyone interested

Sat literally 25ft from the ring, saw David Haye, Barrera, Tyson & Paddy (Max & paddy) there, couldn’t get near Haye or Tyson tho
Old 27 May 2008, 09:40 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw Barrera in the row behind Tyson. He seems to be at a lot of Hatton's weigh in's and the like. Noticed Rooney's girlfreind was there, couldn't see Rooney though.
Fight wasn't great, should have expected more from The Hitman.
Old 27 May 2008, 11:46 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

For once - I agree with Steve Bunce (below)

Boxing: Hatton rumbles on but is fat lady warming up?

By Steve Bunce at the City of Manchester Stadium
Monday, 26 May 2008

Independent.co.uk

Ricky Hatton won every round on Saturday night, 55,000 people traipsed out of this stadium smiling and a glorious fight in New York is planned for October.

But there was still something wrong with his performance. It sounds like a bad joke, like the apocryphal tale about George Best, the champagne bottles, the £20 notes and Miss World in his suite at The Hilton, Park Lane, when the waiter arrived with a tray of caviar and turned to the boy wonder and said: "Georgie Boy, where did it all go wrong?" Boxing, however, is not a joke.

Long before the wall of denial surrounded Hatton in the post-fight cheering club it was obvious that everybody involved with the boxer is determined to ignore the facts. On Saturday night Hatton was easier to hit than he has been at any point in this truly brilliant career and even more alarming was his sudden reaction to almost every single punch that he was caught with.

There was a time when Hatton shrugged off the most fierce of punches with disdain but on Saturday he repeatedly showed everybody at ringside that for a second at least he was hurt. The second of reaction which is a tell-tale indicator of dwindling punch-resistance was tragic to watch.

Juan Lazcano is a veteran Mexican who was hand-picked with apparent genius because of his inactivity and his lack of damaging punching power against high quality light-welterweights. He often looked uneasy under Hatton's pressure but there were perhaps 20 or even 30 seconds in most of the rounds when Lazcano stood his ground, planted his feet and connected with every punch he threw.

Hatton from a few years ago, when his technical work with his trainer Billy Graham included hours and hours of blocking and avoiding punches, would have walked through Lazcano's punches or simply avoided them. Instead, and to the delight of the capacity and raucous crowd, he was caught again and again and in Hatton's fighting style that meant that he came back again and again.

The glorious homecoming which started off with the boxer entering the stadium wearing a fat suit was becoming increasingly serious as each round passed and the temperature dropped. At no point did Lazcano look in danger of toppling over from the punches but there were several moments when the referee could have walked in-between the boxers and rescued the Mexican.

It seemed that just at the moment of potential intervention something sounded in Lazcano's head that triggered his fightback and Hatton had no reply but bravery for Lazcano's few moments of glory in each round. In the last two rounds both boxers were bruised, cut and tired but, not surprisingly, 55,000 people managed to motivate and move Hatton through the often painful seconds. There was joy and fireworks at the fight's conclusion but in the ring there was a noticeably icy embrace between Hatton and Graham. Rumours of a split have been spreading since the minutes after the defeat last December against American Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas, but in the weeks before Saturday's fight there had been denial after denial.

Hatton was happy with his performance and the men that will promote him in the future, Golden Boy's duo of Richard Schaeffer and Oscar de la Hoya, spoke boldly of bigger fights in front of bigger audiences. Their commitment to the Hatton show is unswerving and their assessment that the Manchester boxer is the sport's main attraction is spot on, but that raises a few disturbing questions.

If Hatton, at 29 and after 11 years as a professional, is finally starting to slow down and feel the effects of both the punches in the ring and the pain of losing weight away from the bright lights, there is every chance that more defeats loom in a future that now seems to be running out.

There is talk of a fight against the International Boxing Federation light-welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi at Maddison Square Garden in October, which Hatton would in theory start as favourite. Malignaggi came close to losing his title in Saturday night's chief supporting fight but scraped home on points and declared a desperate interest to fight Hatton. However, Malignaggi could be both the worst and the best opponent for Hatton. The New York fighter lacks a devastating punch and that is good for Hatton but on his day he can be amazingly fluid and that could be bad.

If a fight against Malignaggi was taking place 12 months ago the bookmakers would have closed the account because Hatton would have been an overwhelming favourite. Sadly, the new Hatton is just a good fighter and not any longer the outstanding, the thrilling and unmissable boxer he was in the past.
Old 27 May 2008, 11:59 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Poor one dimensional performance from Hatton. Great energy but zero boxing.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:34 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Poor one dimensional performance from Hatton. Great energy but zero boxing.
Hatton certainly took more punches in this fight than he's ever done before

Work rate was good tho, Lazcano didn't win a single round

Think it could be time for a change in training/tactics for his next Fight Malignaggi is alot more to handle than Lazcano
Old 27 May 2008, 09:26 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

does anyone know what the song was that malignaggi came into was??
Old 28 May 2008, 07:54 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete higham
does anyone know what the song was that malignaggi came into was??
Dunno - but i'll try find out for you
Old 28 May 2008, 05:52 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMA26
Dunno - but i'll try find out for you

thank you