Sport General sport discussion

Audley Harrison

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2007, 02:07 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audley Harrison

lmfao i think the bloke is overated and dont rate him at all, it felt good to see him led onhis back and for a while at that, bring back lewis, now thats a 1st class boxer, Harrison said he could win another title fight but i personally think he will struggle and now his career is on the line.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:18 PM
ADILM
Scooby Regular

he is a load of ****, agree with you-definately overrated!
Old 19 February 2007, 02:18 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He'll be dancing on ice or in a jungle soon..
Old 19 February 2007, 02:22 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
He'll be dancing on ice or in a jungle soon..

Eh????
Old 19 February 2007, 02:23 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The pity is that he really did have a chance of becoming world champ, but was far, far too lazy. After he won gold in Sydney, he should have been on a road to the titel belt(s) instead he fought journeyman after journeyman and got far too complacent and lazy - It didn't help that he got a £1 million deal with the BBC as soon as he turned pro.

That said, maybe he can get a title - The Heavyweight division isn't exactly bursting with talent at the moment - In fact, it's positively devoid of it.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:24 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Eh????
Meaning he'll become a reality TV regular, either dancing on ICe or I'm a celebrity.
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Missed the fight

Is it hosted anywhere?

I tried You tube
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Didn't do himself a lot of favours slagging off anyone who criticised him.

An overated (By himself) Chump who i fear will be left on the scrapheap of all the failed boxers.

shame really if he had not been such an ar*e and if he had applied himself and listened to what people had to say he could have been a lot better.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:25 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Meaning he'll become a reality TV regular, either dancing on ICe or I'm a celebrity.

sorry mate - bit slow today
Old 19 February 2007, 02:27 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

its abit annoying when theres far more talented fighters like joe calzagi?? who isnt in the fame light as much as they should be and getting the credit of what they deserve.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:29 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

"Ordinary" Harrison, you mean. I've never rated him - he seems a) too cocky and b) too lazy to ever get anywhere in boxing. Maybe he got too famous too early?
Old 19 February 2007, 02:30 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Missed the fight

Is it hosted anywhere?

I tried You tube
Me too
Old 19 February 2007, 02:33 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
"Ordinary" Harrison, you mean. I've never rated him - he seems a) too cocky and b) too lazy to ever get anywhere in boxing. Maybe he got too famous too early?
there were some good fights that night
Old 19 February 2007, 02:33 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

When he won Olympic gold he was the best amatuer Heavyweight in the world. Olympic gold medalists traditionally go on to win Heavyweight world titles, There was good reason for his hype - He seemed the complete package fast (for his size), powerful, enourmous frame and very good boxing skills. Make no mistake, you don't become olympic champ without being very, very good.

The problem is, that he didn't have to earn a crust as a pro. Most pro's could only dream of getting the recognition and money Harrison was getting for his first 11 pro fights. It was money in the bank, he didn;t have to fight better and better opponents because he was already assured a milliion.

As Hagler put it, it difficult to get out of bed a 5am to train when you are wearing silk pyjamas.

Had he fulfilled his potential, and applied himself as a pro in the same was as he did an amatuer, then Harrison would have been a genuine world champ.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:35 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
I tried You tube
Try again

YouTube - Audley Harrison V Michael Sprott
Old 19 February 2007, 02:37 PM
ADILM
Scooby Regular

the problem with Audley is he was getting too complacement by fighting 'part time' boxers regurlary. The same thing is happening with Amir Khan, i think he has potential, but when someone is not tested at the highest standard, then you cant call them good.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:39 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I agree, but people like Lewis were immediately impressive in the professional arena. I think one of Ordinary's fights since he turned has been okay. The others have hit the nail on the head - he got rich too quickly, and hence hasn't needed to w*rk for his fame. Which is a shame, because like you say, he must have had talent originally.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:44 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I missed the fight too (download links welcome ). Only found out about it when I was already out.
When I heard it was Michael Sprott, I knew he wouldn't have an easy night. But I didn't think he'd get ironed out so soon
That how it is in the boxing. There is always someone that may be average, but on the night they are simply better.

I watched Audleys first 6 or so fights live. I was a bit of a fan. I remember one fight, can't remember the kids name (he was a yorkshire lad, used to be a cruiser, think he is now), I found myself cheering for this guy, as Audley simply became too cocky, and the kid put in a good display. I was ringside, right behind Audleys corner. His "corner" that consisted of 6"5+ dreadlocked guys didn't like that at all.

One thing I always noticed about Audley, is he doesn't like to be hit. I know no one does. But in boxing, you can't keep flinching or going out of your way to avoid the punches, you have got to take some to give some.

I wish him well, but he can forget about breaking out from the domestic scene. I wouldn't write him off in the UK yet, but world class? No way
Old 19 February 2007, 02:46 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Billgtt

Old 19 February 2007, 02:46 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
When he won Olympic gold he was the best amatuer Heavyweight in the world. Olympic gold medalists traditionally go on to win Heavyweight world titles, There was good reason for his hype - He seemed the complete package fast (for his size), powerful, enourmous frame and very good boxing skills. Make no mistake, you don't become olympic champ without being very, very good.

The problem is, that he didn't have to earn a crust as a pro. Most pro's could only dream of getting the recognition and money Harrison was getting for his first 11 pro fights. It was money in the bank, he didn;t have to fight better and better opponents because he was already assured a milliion.

As Hagler put it, it difficult to get out of bed a 5am to train when you are wearing silk pyjamas.

Had he fulfilled his potential, and applied himself as a pro in the same was as he did an amatuer, then Harrison would have been a genuine world champ.
he still **** though lol
Old 19 February 2007, 02:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Did anyone stay up and watch the Earl fight?

Dear god !! One more round and he'd have been killed. Talk about taking a beating. That Aussie bloke demolished him.

What a fight though. Brilliant
Old 19 February 2007, 02:51 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Audley thinks more of the money than training and doesnt try to better him self from each fight, so hopefully he will learn from this fight and bring back down to a level ground, but tbh i dont there will be much for him now.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:56 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Did anyone stay up and watch the Earl fight?

Dear god !! One more round and he'd have been killed. Talk about taking a beating. That Aussie bloke demolished him.

What a fight though. Brilliant
full credit to him, top fight, especailly when his corner threw the towel in and he made the other blokes knees go like jelly lmao, but in the end they had the stop the fight.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:57 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billgtt
cheers

The result is aroud 7m50sec of that clip.
I skimmed through the fight, he just looked like his ordinary self. Plodding away at a smaller man, with no real intention.
Old 19 February 2007, 03:17 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

They showed the Earl fight afterwards - well, that's when I saw it. Pure Rocky stuff Just a shame that the cut ended it. That's one of the aspects of boxing that surprises me - why does heavy weight boxing get the majority of the attention, especially when you see the likes of Williams and Harrison stumbling around? The lower weight bouts are miles more entertaining.
Old 19 February 2007, 03:27 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Thanks
Old 19 February 2007, 03:30 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

They showed the Earl fight afterwards - well, that's when I saw it. Pure Rocky stuff Just a shame that the cut ended it. That's one of the aspects of boxing that surprises me - why does heavy weight boxing get the majority of the attention, especially when you see the likes of Williams and Harrison stumbling around? The lower weight bouts are miles more entertaining.
It was a truly amazing fight, I actually think the ozzy guy completely punched himself out in the fourth round and Earl could have caught him out in the next round had they let it go on. He managed to avoid getting the cut right eye tagged in that last round, but I do appreciate he had already taken a significant battering and you have to take into consideration the potential devastating consequences had he continued. I imagine Earl was pretty gutted with the situation though, but what a hero. I was actually up and pacing around the living room watching it, it was too intense to sit still.
Old 19 February 2007, 03:32 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by ADILM
the problem with Audley is he was getting too complacement by fighting 'part time' boxers regurlary. The same thing is happening with Amir Khan, i think he has potential, but when someone is not tested at the highest standard, then you cant call them good.
But look at Amir's last fight against Drilzan (sp?). The guys was a weight above Amir's natural lightweight and worked him incredibly hard. This guide was no fly by night.

Same goes for the guy on saturday. He is a very respected fighter, previously unbeaten, and was expected to give Khan a good workout, but Khan has the most exceptional reactions and vision and was able to just work out his game and pick him off within about 30 punches.
Old 19 February 2007, 06:06 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I dont like the guy for the simple reason, yes he won the gold medal but to then say he is going to be world champion and that the rest of the heavyweights are sub standard is arogant. Especially when he has so far failed to show any promise.

Harrison on his ***
Old 19 February 2007, 07:00 PM
imprezarb5
Scooby Regular

didnt go Saturday, but have been to a number of Graham Earl fights over the last few years. definitely a game fella, and gives good value for money. but fought the wrong fight on the night. no use trying to slug it out with such a slick heavy puncher as Katsidas.

having said that, I also thought Katsidas may have punched himself out, in the 4th. shame it didnt go another round, to see if Graham could turn it round. he had a similar war a few years back against Hartlepool's Kevin Bennett, got dropped, Bennett punched himself out, then Earl stopped him. Katsidas looked a class act though, mixing head and body shots, uppercuts with speed and power.

all 3 fights were good in their own way. Harrison getting decked was like an oak tree being chopped down, he didnt know what had hit him. had to laugh at a Harrison post fight quote, saying he thought he was ok to carry on. What 10 minutes later? dont even think he realised he had been sparked out