Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Should players be sent off for swearing at the referee?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2005, 02:34 PM
bzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should players be sent off for swearing at the referee?

Another drastic new rule by UEFA. Swearing at the ref is to be a 'Red Card' offence. The referees are to be fitted with small microphones which will record comments made to them by players, so if say, Rooney was to swear at the ref for what he considers to be a poor decision (not that Rooney would EVER do that....... ), he will be given a red card and sent off, and if he appeals against it, they will replay his comments as evidence!! I wonder how many matches this season will be abandoned due to the insufficient number of players left to finish the game!! What's next - a £50,000 fine for spitting during the game.....? What do you lot think?

Last edited by bzz; 06 August 2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06 August 2005, 02:35 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Old 06 August 2005, 02:43 PM
bzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
Unfortunately, i dont know how to move it now - the mods will probably do it instead........
Old 06 August 2005, 03:22 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

AFAIK a similar rule has been present in rugby for ages, hence you almost never get players swearing at the ref, even at club level.

Good idea.
Old 06 August 2005, 04:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

During my rugby playing days I invariably said "what a jolly good decision, Sir" which seemed to me more effective than telling him what I really thought (well not always tbh!)
Old 06 August 2005, 04:27 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Been given my marching orders a few times playing pub league football for the same thing, so why shouldnt the pro's go for it too?

Gary
Old 06 August 2005, 04:44 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Should players be sent off for swearing at the referee?
Yes. They should get chucked off for any unsportsmanly behaviour whatsoever.
Old 06 August 2005, 05:21 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

red card..

should be shot where they stand..

would you alow strangers to enter your house and swear in front of your kids??

would you still be amiable it i told your wife / girlfriend to f*ck off when i didnt like anything she said...

given that 90% of football coverage today is how mutch can you spit in 90 minutes over how many times can you utter the word *uck and how many dives can you make, i think its about time they did something about it..
do you think its acceptable to watch some guy lob a greeny off and follow it up with a f*ck you?? in close up!!!!!

you lot make me laugh, you fly the moral righteous flag from the highest pole, but for some perverse and obscure reason football - players can do no wrong..

havnt you lot got short memorys, these are so called professional players..

they should be setting a better example to the people who watch them

Mart
Old 06 August 2005, 05:23 PM
bzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Yes. They should get chucked off for any unsportsmanly behaviour whatsoever.
I agree, especially when you consider how much they get paid!! Also, what example are they teaching all the impressionable kids who idolize them!! That it's OK to give abuse to people in authority because you disagree with them? Thats not the example I want MY kids learning!! They are ambassadors of the sport for this country, and its about time they started behaving as such. No wonder English football has got such a bad name!!
Old 06 August 2005, 08:11 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with Mart and bzz..These people get paid serious amounts of money and behave like spoilt brats. If you saw behaviour like this in the street you'd expect them to be arrested. Personally for swearing at the referee I'd give them a 5 match ban. Lets see how long the yobbish behaviour lasted then and just watch how the youngsters behaviour improved at local level.
Old 06 August 2005, 08:17 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

In that case, should actors be forbidden to swear on television, regardless of the watershed?

Originally Posted by CLSII
Lets see how long the yobbish behaviour lasted then and just watch how the youngsters behaviour improved at local level.
You're kidding, right?
Old 06 August 2005, 08:26 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Television has no effect on peoples behaviour at all....that's why countless billions is spent on advertising every year....

Childrens behaviour has always reflected what they see on TV..No they don't all go out and murder someone because they see it on TV but you only have to listen to children to understand the effect that it has on them. It used to be playing cowboys and indians now its horrendous language and aggression..

You don't understand that? You're kidding right?
Old 06 August 2005, 08:34 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Your 'point' was that if swearing were to be eliminated in football, there would be a distinct improvement of behaviour 'at a local level'.

Therefore, my reply was insinuating that there are far more powerful influences in play in society today - the removal of swearing in football alone would not lead to a cut in 'yobbish' behaviour.
Old 06 August 2005, 08:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

LOL of course they should be sent off. It's a verbal assault on the official! While the game's in progress, he is God.
Old 06 August 2005, 09:04 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

G-Star...sorry forgot football is hardly ever televised these days.

If every footballer didn't swear or spit or it was deemed unacceptable there would indeed be a massive change in youth behaviour..they mimic their role models to the n'th degree.

It's what children do....and a lot of adults as well suprisingly. It might not solve every problem but it would be a start.

I detest the attitude prevelant today that it is so difficult to sort out bad behaviour.

I'm under 40 by the way

If I originally misconstrued your 15 word response to my post I apologise
Old 06 August 2005, 09:38 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

**** Off

PMSL

Childish post sorry
Old 06 August 2005, 09:40 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

While I do agree with your point regarding role models and the mimicking of such, I do not believe that a 'massive' change would occur in social behaviour if swearing/spitting were to be deemed unacceptable, and individuals consequently punished, in football alone, as there are a multitude of underlying aspects that direct their actions.

My initial point was this: if you believe that the swearing audible/'visible' in football matches has such a detrimental effect on the youth of today, then surely you'd back a movement to remove all swearing from television?
Old 06 August 2005, 11:16 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Of course players should be sent off for swearing at the ref. Football is one of the few sports where there is a distinct lack of repect for the officials in charge.
Old 07 August 2005, 07:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it is a good thing and long overdue.

Les
Old 07 August 2005, 08:37 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
AFAIK a similar rule has been present in rugby for ages, hence you almost never get players swearing at the ref, even at club level.

Good idea.
But the difference here is, most rugby players are educated, whereas most footballer are as thick as 2 short planks.

Dave
Old 07 August 2005, 11:44 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-STAR
Your 'point' was that if swearing were to be eliminated in football, there would be a distinct improvement of behaviour 'at a local level'.

Therefore, my reply was insinuating that there are far more powerful influences in play in society today - the removal of swearing in football alone would not lead to a cut in 'yobbish' behaviour.
Couldn't we just eliminate the knuckle dragging spectacle that is football??
Old 08 August 2005, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They should be penalised for spitting too, very unhealthy, and like swearing, a bad example to set to young lads.

Les
Old 08 August 2005, 12:46 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Used to love watching football, when it was all about the players' skill. These days it's all about who can dupe the ref the best, do the most convincing dives, etc. Any player who argues with the ref should be sent off, as should anyone who dives, spits, etc.

IMO
Old 08 August 2005, 02:48 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

IMHO it depends whether it's swearing, or swearing at the ref. A comment like 'what the f*** was that call for?', is a bit different from, 'your a blind f***ing c***!', and it also depends how the words are said. A player can come up to me and be as abusive as he likes; as long as it looks to all and sundry that we are having a nice conversation and we reach an amicable agreement. As soon as the player starts to undermine your authority and it becomes noticable to other that he is then you have no choice but to reestablise that authority by issueing a penalty. (if some of the terms are a bit non-football oriantated, it's because I ref ice-hockey and most of the players are far to busy beating each other up to swear at me!)
Old 08 August 2005, 03:56 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Fine them for bad language and yellow/red card them for abusive language/behaviour directed at the officials.
Old 08 August 2005, 04:51 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

I took the Referee's exam many moons ago and ref'd a few games

Any one swearing was told to keep it down and one swearing at me was red carded

One guy appealed to the Refs association saying it was not at me it was at another player
He still got banned and had to pay me £10 for turning up

With all the noise going on I bet the refs today have trouble hearing any abuse maybe there good a lip reading
Old 08 August 2005, 05:01 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I play football. We can not swear at the ref or you will almost certainly get a yellow or possibly a red card. I do however swear often in a game be it at myself for an error or in an atempt to rouse the team to lift our performance. I think there is a big difference between the two. I think the clamping down is a good thing for the game. It should however not be steralised as the game is a passionate one.

As for spitting. When you play sport you will bring up and lossen mucas. what else can you do but spit it out? If you mean spitting at another player then it should be a straight red.
Old 08 August 2005, 05:28 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

A problem I had once was the misinterpretation of the direction of my swearing by the referee. We'd reached the quarter finals of a national championship, traveled a good few hours to the game and the opening 20-30 minutes was a very tight affair. As a centre back, I despise players that dive and that undid me that day. Basically, as a midfield player played the ball wide, I span 180 degrees to face it, but as I did so, the striker I was marking took a tumble in front of me (coming from behind me), even though I didn't even have my foot outstretched. The referee gave a penalty, even though it was as clear as day it was a dive (others players on the opposing team commented to me that it was after the match) and given the circumstances, I reacted to the player, calling him a 'f*cking cheating b@stard', and the referee, who was under the impression I was swearing at him, sent me off.

I do have a point to this - in a game that's extremely competitive, you're bound to get worked up over decisions and, while I do agree swearing isn't clever, it sometimes does pop out. However, it's not as if there's a million youngsters trying to mold themselves into likenesses of me, so I do also agree that professionals, who are constantly in the spotlight, should do their best to make sure it doesn't slip out.

It's not just football that's the problem though, I noticed that Simon Jones had a few choice words following a poor delivery the other day too.