Notices
Sport General sport discussion

All those that hate football put your hands up?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2003, 04:06 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

So what sport do all you anti-football guys and gals enjoy then?
Old 12 October 2003, 04:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

football is superb, it allows all the knuckle dragging retards on the planet to do something to keep themselves out of trouble.

its a soap opera for men.

T
Old 12 October 2003, 04:16 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

tiggs, please read the question above. i understand you don't like football, but what sport do you like?
Old 12 October 2003, 04:17 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I prefer sports which aint elitist, dont involve massive amounts of money and isnt followed by an army of selfdeluded morons.
At the moment I'm into Formula 1.
Hold on a minute....

astraboy.
Old 12 October 2003, 04:20 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Tiggs,very nice! ...So the most popular sport in the world is followed by knuckle dragging retards?? cheers!
Old 12 October 2003, 04:23 PM
Luke
BANNED

Ikea queue jumping. (Ex world champion 1994 Brent cross.)
Old 12 October 2003, 04:31 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Old 12 October 2003, 06:49 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I follow most forms of motorsport.

Don't get me wrong - soccer (to give it it's correct name) is not a bad game in itself, it's the elevation to religion like status in the UK that pisses me off. That and the fact that most avid fans are unable to hold a conversation about anything else.

Still these are the sort of people who travel to Turkey when they're told not to and then moan when they get sent home - Doh!!!

tiggers.
Old 12 October 2003, 06:59 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Talking

Actually while we're on the subject let me tell you a little story about a football fan.

I had a business meeting a few months ago with a prospective client who brought a couple of his employees along with him for the meeting. As they sat down his first words were to ask me who I supported and tell me that they were all United fans. I told them I didn't follow football and then asked them which United they referred to (knowing they probably meant Manchester, but I was trying to be polite).

The guy was visibly shocked that I didn't follow football and having told me somewhat disdainfully that of course they meant Manchester United then proceeded to ask several questions as to why I didn't like football etc. etc. His whole attitude was completely patronising and finally he told me that he always worried that people who didn't like fottball were gay.

That was it. I stood up walked round the table and grabbed his cheek saying in as effeminate voice as I could muster:

"Well you'd better keep your **** on that chair then hadn't you ducky?"

No I didn't get the business, but with a ******** like that I couldn't care less.

tiggers.
Old 12 October 2003, 07:09 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

LOL @ tiggs.

Bet his face was a picture.

PS I'm not a football hater, just thought that was a situation dealt with well
Old 12 October 2003, 07:34 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tiggs,the correct name is Football and thats probably why the governing body for world Football is called FIFA.
Just read the history about this great game and you see why numpties call it soccer.

Old 12 October 2003, 07:34 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Old 12 October 2003, 07:37 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

triple top,

Read the history! I really do have better things to do with my time.

Anyway calling it soccer helps to differentiate from football as played in the US - a game that you can take your family to without the fear of having the **** kicked out of you.

tiggers.
Old 12 October 2003, 07:50 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Talking

So we are meant to call it soccer because the yanks play American football Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ROFL!
Old 12 October 2003, 08:00 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

I couldn't care less what you call it - I shall call it soccer.

Need to find a nice easy name for the associated sports of lager drinking and pack based violence as well - will have to work on that

tiggers.

Old 12 October 2003, 08:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Football rocks.

Old 12 October 2003, 08:09 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Wink

Need to find a nice easy name for the associated sports of lager drinking and pack based violence as well - will have to work on that
Rugby?
Old 12 October 2003, 08:23 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

Rugby - nice one

At least with rugby it's the players who indulge whereas in soccer it's the fans. Soccer players seem to have other ways of getting their kicks.... maybe we'd better not go there eh?

tiggers.
Old 12 October 2003, 10:46 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I don't HATE football but what I do HATE is the huge amount of interest that this particular sport gets but there are many other sports out there that get little or no coverage whilst UK sportsmen and women are winning at world class level : I'll name the sports here that come into this catagory and I'm into -

Motorsport - Rallying : McRae and Burns both world champs yet after an event on the Monday the papers / TV etc give tiny amount of coverage

World Superbikes : Neil Hodgson and Carl Fogarty both have dominated at times. Treated as a minority sport. 110,000 at
Brands in 2000 (I think) - was the biggest crowd at a 1 day event in the UK that year. Similar numbers there this year. How much trouble was there at these events ? Probably a tiny, tiny amount and I bet police numbers were minute compared to a footy game where violence is almost inevitable.

Cycling - David Millar has just won the World Elite Time Trial Championships. I guess some papers may mention this fact but again it's seen as a minority sport, surely hardly anyone in the UK is involved in it is there point of view ? Same goes for Craig McLean, world champ. Nicole Cook, favourite for the Womens World RR champs, 'only' came 3rd but she's already won the womens world cup series of road races and she's only in her early 20's.

Not many UK (football) teams are winning championship level games at the moment, or have done recently yet the pages and pages of newsprint and hours and hours of TV coverage seem to imply that the sport is worthy of it.

Football I think is often an excuse for blokes to get pissed up and get all excited about something as opposed to actually getting involved in a sport - ooh, that would be too hard but wandering about your local city centre in your club top is a something to be proud of.

Those that believe that football is the be-all and end-all really need to get a bit more of a life because shouting at the telly in the pub after 8 pints is not what I aspire to !
Old 13 October 2003, 09:32 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"tiggs, please read the question above. i understand you don't like football, but what sport do you like? "

no, you read my answer...i said football is superb, i love all sports. It just so happens that football (as well as being a cool sport) also has the benifit of keeping retards busy.

T
Old 10 December 2003, 11:40 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

AndyR,
think what u like, not all supporters get pi$$ed up just to go and cause trouble, my dad took me to matches when i was 7 so i took my kids and the wife later on in life, thats why my post reads "FROM A HOUSE FULL OF FOREST SUPPORTERS" not all are tarred with the same brush.

Eat football, sleep football, drink football, and....... did play football untill a 17 1/2 tonne army lorry broke my fecking legs in a bike smash, now i watch my son whom i might add is fecking brilliant, but i would say that cos im his dad.

edited cos the next post gets a corner....
[Edited by Dazza01 - 10/12/2003 11:50:48 PM]

[Edited by Dazza01 - 10/12/2003 11:52:48 PM]