Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Violence on the football pitch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2003, 10:47 AM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I have witnessed today (as an assistant referee) an assault from one player on another, then the referee was assaulted and when I came across, I was nearly assaulted too!!!!!
After that, whilst I was sitting with the referee sorting out the paperwork, a player from another game came across swearing about being sent off. Then proceeded to sit beside his girlfriend and stupidly say "I'm going to f**king smack that referee"

Fun and games!!!!

Some good news now....I had an inspection done whilst I was refereeing an earlier game and passed with flying colours. Woohoo. The branch coach was the assessor and he had no criticism except that I forgot to stick my hand up for an indirect free kick.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 5/24/2003 10:48:31 AM]
Old 24 May 2003, 04:39 PM
THE MUTTS NUTS
Scooby Regular

LM WRX RATHER YOU THAN ME.....
Old 24 May 2003, 07:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Well, Ozzies are animals

Over here in Britain it would be a good old handshake whilst being sent off, and a stiff upper lip when smacked in the gob by a fellow player

Pete
Old 25 May 2003, 01:40 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

LOL@Pete,

I have to say that tempers flare up a lot more on the pitches than over in the UK. When I went to NSW soccer, I was told that the place I live was borderline for two districts. He gave me the number for Granville and told me to see how I go.
It was only after I registered with them that I found out that a lot of the football (soccer) teams had notorious reputations and that the Referee's Association had an odd way of paying the referee fees.

I will give it a bit longer and see how things span out. I can alays transfer over to Hornsby.
Old 27 May 2003, 01:15 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

'Chelle
Dont ever referee Newport and Districts Saturday or Sunday Leagues. I think the worst cases involved knives, baseball bats and the Ref's car having all its windows put through.
As for violence on the pitch there is plenty there for those who are looking for it
Old 27 May 2003, 03:28 PM
Little Miss WRX

Red face

Not good....however, I have been told that the incident this weekend was one of the tamest. :-/
Old 28 May 2003, 02:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Just got back from judiciary and no action was taken (apart from a warning) against the player who said he would like to hit the ref as it was not a direct threat to the referee.

A player who I reported for threatening spectators had a warning too. I am glad they didn't go further on that one because his team was being dished some evil abuse from the spectators (apparently racial [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) and to give him credit, as soon as other players saw him and stopped him, he caled down and walked off. Nevertheless, as an official, I still had to report his behaviour.

The player who assaulted the player and referee has been held back to next week for more reports to come in. The matter is being taken very seriously and I suspect, from previous examples of this type of thing, that he will get a life ban from soccer - but we shall see.

I am now filing an official complaint against the ground for lack of ground officials and the fact that spectators from the far side were able to stay by the pitch and chant abuse at one of the teams. The lack of ground officials also meant that there was no support for us officials when things went bad in the game.
Old 28 May 2003, 10:32 PM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

I remember one of our "street league" (under 16's) games getting abandoned after one of our players had been sent off for fighting. He took it upon himself to return with a set of those nunchucks things. The ref ran off - so did the other team!