Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Saints v South Sydney - World club challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2015, 04:01 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Saints v South Sydney - World club challenge!

Tonight at 7pm!

Can't wait, always a pleasure to watch Greg Inglis.

The greatest player of all time though?

http://www.ranker.com/list/greatest-...me/matthewgill
Old 22 February 2015, 07:31 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Saints getting their **** handed to them.
Old 22 February 2015, 07:39 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

0-24 after 30 mins.

The gulf is massive still.
Old 22 February 2015, 08:57 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate rugby but as a pro gambler I decided to watch this game. Too one sided to make much on it nor to judge whether or not I still hate rugby.
Old 22 February 2015, 09:03 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Tonight was a masterclass. The most complete performance since I saw Aussie's first 40 mins v England at Elland Road.

It was like watching the greatest boxer of all time Lennox Lewis. They just prodded and probed, expending little energy and when ever an opening came they were just unbelievably clinical. They weren't bothered about breaking backs getting field position and their punishing kicks from deep got them possession time and time again. Rugby **** tbh.
Old 22 February 2015, 09:19 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

if that was a "good" match then Rugby is still not for me. Big statement about LL, I loved him for many reasons but he isn't the best heavy of all time let alone boxer!!
Old 22 February 2015, 09:58 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by smiffywhu
if that was a "good" match then Rugby is still not for me. Big statement about LL, I loved him for many reasons but he isn't the best heavy of all time let alone boxer!!
It was a complete performance from the Aussies but one sided game.

I've watched every single fight from Ali, Tyson and Lewis (arguably the big 3) and Lewis was light years ahead of them, especially in the quality of opponents.

I think the fact Lewis refused to put opponents away early has tainted people's opinions of him. He comes across as laid back and respectful but I think that's a facade, against Tyson and Klitschko he weathered the storm for 1-2 rounds then he seemed content to just jab and jab opening up cuts, I mean f**cking around with two of the undisputed all time greats!!! in fact Lewis' trainer was punching him in the later rounds v Tyson screaming at him to put Tyson away but Lewis refused to. Lewis is a cold son of a bitch. Even against McCall in the rematch, it was clear McCall refused to fight but Lewis refused to throw a flurry of punches and continually jabbed McCall's face.
Lewis is the only fighter to have completely abandoned their defence against Iron Mike. Lewis had the lean back defence of Ali, the power of Donovan Ruddock and deceptive speed due to his efficient style, and yes Lewis knocked out Ruddock quicker than anyone. Prime Tyson went 12 with Ruddock whilst he was 41-1. At a time when he was ducking Holyfield and Lewis.
A big nod to greatness is that Lewis was one of a few greats who was class throughout their career. Ali, Holyfield, Frazier, Foreman, Norton and Tyson all faded badly at the back end of their illustrious careers.
Ali never stopped anyone under 5 rounds in his last 31 fights, he lost 4 of them!!

No unavenged defeats and he fought far better opposition than Marciano. Maybe Louis or a peak Liston could have caused Lewis problems if Lewis had the equivalent fitness/training but they'd certainly lose the rematch due to Lewis superior intelligence. I mean have you heard all the former greats talk? Lennox Lewis sounds like he never took a punch, no lisping or slurring.

Lewis fought Tyson as a 16yo and got pretty badly beat up in the 1st round, by the 2nd he'd figured out Tyson's effective but monotonous peak-a-boo technique. Many think a 21yo Mike would have dropped Lewis in round one, but there were plenty of inferior boxers who took Mike past the 1st.
Old 23 February 2015, 10:42 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yet again Aus RL showing it is streets ahead of it's English cousins.

It's a shame Sky let it go
Old 23 February 2015, 12:45 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

The games over the weekend have yet again showed us that we are a long way off them in terms of class & strength in the depth.
Old 23 February 2015, 01:06 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

First two games weren't far off and in the first game St George should have been down to 12 men. TBH Saints looked out of sorts, worst I've ever seen them play.
Old 23 February 2015, 04:18 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Default greatest boxer?

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
It was a complete performance from the Aussies but one sided game.

I've watched every single fight from Ali, Tyson and Lewis (arguably the big 3) and Lewis was light years ahead of them, especially in the quality of opponents.

I think the fact Lewis refused to put opponents away early has tainted people's opinions of him. He comes across as laid back and respectful but I think that's a facade, against Tyson and Klitschko he weathered the storm for 1-2 rounds then he seemed content to just jab and jab opening up cuts, I mean f**cking around with two of the undisputed all time greats!!! in fact Lewis' trainer was punching him in the later rounds v Tyson screaming at him to put Tyson away but Lewis refused to. Lewis is a cold son of a bitch. Even against McCall in the rematch, it was clear McCall refused to fight but Lewis refused to throw a flurry of punches and continually jabbed McCall's face.
Lewis is the only fighter to have completely abandoned their defence against Iron Mike. Lewis had the lean back defence of Ali, the power of Donovan Ruddock and deceptive speed due to his efficient style, and yes Lewis knocked out Ruddock quicker than anyone. Prime Tyson went 12 with Ruddock whilst he was 41-1. At a time when he was ducking Holyfield and Lewis.
A big nod to greatness is that Lewis was one of a few greats who was class throughout their career. Ali, Holyfield, Frazier, Foreman, Norton and Tyson all faded badly at the back end of their illustrious careers.
Ali never stopped anyone under 5 rounds in his last 31 fights, he lost 4 of them!!

No unavenged defeats and he fought far better opposition than Marciano. Maybe Louis or a peak Liston could have caused Lewis problems if Lewis had the equivalent fitness/training but they'd certainly lose the rematch due to Lewis superior intelligence. I mean have you heard all the former greats talk? Lennox Lewis sounds like he never took a punch, no lisping or slurring.

Lewis fought Tyson as a 16yo and got pretty badly beat up in the 1st round, by the 2nd he'd figured out Tyson's effective but monotonous peak-a-boo technique. Many think a 21yo Mike would have dropped Lewis in round one, but there were plenty of inferior boxers who took Mike past the 1st.
I love to chat about past boxing legends but to say "best boxer of all time" it's only fair to think pound for pound. LL had huge height and weight advantages over his opponents due to being a Heavy. ESPN hasn't got LL rated in their top 50 http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ge=greatest110, maybe harsh but SRR rightly at the top IMO.
Old 23 February 2015, 09:45 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

I think there's a prejudiced against Lewis as he's sans-nationality. People struggle to identify with him, and the fact his style meant he was often boring.

I doubt a any fighter in peak form would have beaten a peak Lewis though.
Old 23 February 2015, 10:01 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

I appreciate your "best heavy" argument but not "best boxer" as you originally said. I'm not arguing he wasn't a great and truly awesome. Gutted when he retired. You can tell by my username why he was always my favourite when growing up. That EH draw will never be forgotten. Nor his Union Jack suited Promoter that night!
Old 24 February 2015, 12:00 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by smiffywhu
I appreciate your "best heavy" argument but not "best boxer" as you originally said. I'm not arguing he wasn't a great and truly awesome. Gutted when he retired. You can tell by my username why he was always my favourite when growing up. That EH draw will never be forgotten. Nor his Union Jack suited Promoter that night!
I always think of comparing P4P fighters as comparing a Subaru Rally car and an F1 car or professional football v's under 21's.

It's especially dubious when you consider several good boxers have gone up and down weight divisions. Many of the all time greats weren't big enough to fight as heavyweights in the modern era.

Floyd Patterson gave 5 inch and 60lbs away to Lennox, Marciano stood 5'10 and weighed just 180 pounds, Lewis would have seriously hurt him. I mean back in the days of b&w division jumper Thomas Hearns could have fought Lewis and for all Thomas Hearns' skills Lewis would have given him brain damage. You aren't going to outscore Lewis over 12 rounds. Greatness doesn't stop at skill, just because Lewis was 6'5 didn't mean he had to weigh 18+ stone, half of his greatness was getting the physique to annihilate all that he faced. I believe a then rangy Lewis could have dropped down a division early in his career and still beaten all he faced, he's one of a few fighters who can truly adapt, his real skill was rarely showing it, Lewis was never beaten by skill, 2 fluke haymakers got him, the 2nd when his mouth was open due to altitude effects, it made him hard for opponents to study. Tyson in his prime occasionally reverted to southpaw but the dividends never paid off.
Old 24 February 2015, 12:45 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
First two games weren't far off and in the first game St George should have been down to 12 men. TBH Saints looked out of sorts, worst I've ever seen them play.
Brisbane & St George finished 8th & 11th, so they were not exactly the best teams in last years NRL. Saints came up against a Rabbits side that were simply on fire.
Old 24 February 2015, 11:16 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

That's one issue with the playoffs, if a side suffers a dip in form or has a nasty virus running through the camp a seasons hard graft can be thrown down the pan. Cas had a great 2014 but they were shot by the time the playoffs came around.