Alarm installation question

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2010, 05:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Alarm installation question

Hello,

How much is a Cat 1 Alarm fitted these days with the cert to proof the job for the insurance. Does anyone on here do it?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 27 October 2010, 06:23 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking at the fitting included, it will probably be around £200-£250 if my memory serves me correctly. Hopefully someone has some knowledge on who would do it locally for you.
Old 27 October 2010, 09:06 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

It would also depend on which alarm you want.
Old 27 October 2010, 09:11 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I had a Cat 1 Alarm/immob fitted to my Series 1 RS T around 10yrs ago for £350, but since then every car i have owned has had a cat1 or the inurers havent asked for it. So I was just curious to what it costs these days.

There are loads of them to choose from, this one sparked the question: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIGMA-S34-THAT...item27b60ca882
Old 27 October 2010, 09:17 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

I've only ever had clifford so I'm unsure about sigma but I would imagine that 200 - 300 pound is about right
Old 27 October 2010, 09:31 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Seems a decent price although I haven't looked at any other s-series ones to compare against. I've got an M series sigma on mine and it's been good.
Old 27 October 2010, 09:39 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Ive had 4 Scoobs, and all of them bar the one ive got now have had Sigma single button fob alarms. They have all had the keypad panel for the override and set-up in the fuse box area under the sterring wheel.

HOWEVER the car i have recently bought hasnt got the keypad as described above and the alarm works of the original key remote (two buttons), so i dont know what it is. I thought all MY01+ UK cars had the Sigma alarm fitted from standard....... has it been removed ;-(

Ive only seen the car twice since owning it so havent had the chance to check it over as yet, but there is more pressing things that need sorting before the alarm/immob such as an engine............. dont need to immob an engine that isnt there LOL.
Old 07 November 2010, 09:38 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Ive had 4 Scoobs, and all of them bar the one ive got now have had Sigma single button fob alarms. They have all had the keypad panel for the override and set-up in the fuse box area under the sterring wheel.

HOWEVER the car i have recently bought hasnt got the keypad as described above and the alarm works of the original key remote (two buttons), so i dont know what it is. I thought all MY01+ UK cars had the Sigma alarm fitted from standard....... has it been removed ;-(

Ive only seen the car twice since owning it so havent had the chance to check it over as yet, but there is more pressing things that need sorting before the alarm/immob such as an engine............. dont need to immob an engine that isnt there LOL.

sounds like a sigma if its working off of the original keys and not a separate fob, maybe the keypad has been hidden out of the way, if it is a sigma and you need a key pad i have brand new one.
Old 07 November 2010, 09:54 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Is it an Import?
The two buttons were disabled in the UK, for the use of the Sigma alarm, to meet the Cat 1 requirements.
So if its an import, it never had the Sigma, and the buttons on the key are the standard locking system.

Edit: Scrap that, just re read you said MY01+ UK cars, so its obviously not an import.
Old 07 November 2010, 11:10 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

hi mate, i have been fitting vehicle security for over 15 years now i can highly recommend the clifford concept 650mkII expect to pay around £350 it is a fantastic system i have 1 fitted to my scoob, unfortunatly i can't speak for other installers as i have seen many poor installs over the years, and as now the VSIB is no longer running u can't really be sure if they are good quality, what i will say is find a company that comes highly recommended unless you want to travel to the midlands and i will be happy to do it for you.........not sure if i am aloud to say this but don't use GAP security i have seen and heard many horror stories over the years,

Mark
Old 08 November 2010, 07:01 AM
steve nic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P600wrx
hi mate, i have been fitting vehicle security for over 15 years now i can highly recommend the clifford concept 650mkII expect to pay around £350 it is a fantastic system i have 1 fitted to my scoob, unfortunatly i can't speak for other installers as i have seen many poor installs over the years, and as now the VSIB is no longer running u can't really be sure if they are good quality, what i will say is find a company that comes highly recommended unless you want to travel to the midlands and i will be happy to do it for you.........not sure if i am aloud to say this but don't use GAP security i have seen and heard many horror stories over the years,

Mark
im with mark on this one,ive been fitting car security for a similar amount of time and have a 650 on my scoob.if cliffords are fitted corectly there are nothing wrong with them its the install that causes problems not the product.also ive seen the same as mark about the above security company.

one thing you could look for is an company thats thachem recognised installer it looks like its the only way to get and insurance recognised certificate when its up and running!there is only about 20 companys on the list at the moment and there mainly manufactures.hope this helps
Old 08 November 2010, 08:09 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Is it an Import?
The two buttons were disabled in the UK, for the use of the Sigma alarm, to meet the Cat 1 requirements.
So if its an import, it never had the Sigma, and the buttons on the key are the standard locking system.

Edit: Scrap that, just re read you said MY01+ UK cars, so its obviously not an import.
The Car is supposedly a 2002 STI type UK Prodrive, however I bought the car with engine issues and sent it straight to a Subaru Garage for the engine build, so as i havent seen it thoroughly other than buying and towing back. It all looks genuine ie Prodrive bumpers etc, but the alarm thing does seem odd as it is works of the original key two buttons. The cars I have had in the past all had the Sigma blue or grey seperate alram fobs . I havent seen the car for over 6 weeks now, but as soon as I do I will be getting everything thoroughly checked over to make sure its all pucka. Might even ring Subaru UK .

Originally Posted by P600wrx

Mark
I'll bare you in mind, and what you have said, thanks Rob

Originally Posted by steve nic
im with mark on this one,ive been fitting car security for a similar amount of time and have a 650 on my scoob.if cliffords are fitted corectly there are nothing wrong with them its the install that causes problems not the product.also ive seen the same as mark about the above security company.

one thing you could look for is an company thats thachem recognised installer it looks like its the only way to get and insurance recognised certificate when its up and running!there is only about 20 companys on the list at the moment and there mainly manufactures.hope this helps
Thanks very much
Old 08 November 2010, 10:07 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno where you are in the north west but Tim Doyle in Dukinfield would be top of my list to visit
http://www.trilogyincar.com/trilogy.html

Tony
Old 08 November 2010, 05:15 PM
joe joe88
Scooby Regular

I had a sigma on my uk 2000 turbo didnt think it wa sanything great to be honest but at least it worked and was quite reliable.

However definately expect to pay between £350 and £500 for the mutts nutts alarm with all the bells and whistles.

But like the guys said its not worth a thing if its not been installed proffesionally and with a certificate. Hence Clifford all the way